dog walks

Options
rudegyal_b
rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
how long on average do you walk your dog? what is to you, a satisfying walk? 60 mins or more for me

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    My dogs get about 2 hours a day. I try and go to the dog park every other day so that they can run off-leash. On weekends they get about 3 hours a day and about 1 hour of that is off leash at the dog park. I have a Shiloh Shepherd and German Shepherd so they require a lot of activity.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    When I used to have one golden retriever used to be 2 hours a day for walks and then some days off leashing playing at the park or in the trails. Now I have four dogs (just adopted the 4th one this past weekend) and the walk is about an hour, not everyday. I don't feel too bad since we live on an acre and they have free play all day long... We try to get out for walks, but if not it's a lot of playtime at home! :)
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    2 hours is amazing, i have a chihuahua so i hope 60 mins is enough
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I don't walk my dog any more, due to issues with the neighbor. But when I did it was for distance not time. One mile. Its as far as she could go with a bad elbow before she would limp too much.
  • Hibiscus1984
    Options
    As long as it's a clear day, I take mine out for a minimum of 30 minutes/2 miles, we're working on 60 minutes/4+ miles.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Maxine and I walk anywhere from 1-3 hours per day, depending on how far she wants to go and what she wants to sniff. We always take an early morning walk for about 45 minutes. She goes to doggie daycare three days per week, but when we're both home during the day, we'll go for an afternoon walk for another 45-60 minutes. Then in the evening we usually go for another walk if she's up for it. Dogs are the best exercise buddies!!
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    i wish I could handle walking 1-3 hours/day with my 2 dogs. they would LOVE it, but i can only handle 2 15 minute walks a day. on my days off, the 2 of them are in and out of the fenced in back yard. i would LOVE it if they got along with dogs @ the off leash dog park well enough that i could take them regularly, but it is a once in a while thing very early in the morning when very few if any dogs are there.
  • baileygirl_5
    baileygirl_5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a rottie and walking her regularly used to be a huge part of my exercise program. We'd go almost everyday for an hour and I'm lucky that we have two local places to walk where I can have her off leash. She is eight now and has slowed down considerably recently. Our daily walks have turned into slow, meandering trudges with lots of smell breaks. She is also ready to turn back for the car only about halfway through our old walks. I feel so guilty because lately I've been sneaking out of the house and walking by myself to get in a good hour of higher intensity work-out. The sniffs and then the sad looks I get when I get home just about tear my heart out. I feel like I'm cheating on her!
  • MommyLovesHerFurBabies
    Options
    I try to walk my dogs at least 30 minutes everyday but a lot of times we get in an hour a day. They love it. We live in a tropical location so the heat gets to them to quickly for me to try to push them more
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i was taking my min pin for 30-45 minute walks just about every day (about 2 miles for us) but recently had to quit since it's now summertime in houston. the last few times i did, the concrete was sooo hot that she would just lay down and not move after about 15/20 minutes of walking - and i would end up having to carry her home. i bring water with me for her (and me too), but i think she just gets so overheated since we walk on the sidewalk and she also has black fur. and i just will not walk alone when it's dark out - too dangerous! had a really bad experience before walking in the middle of the day once, so i am not going to risk my safety by walking in the dark when there are not a lot of other drivers out. around sunset is my favorite time to walk. but anyway, i miss my walking buddy! i have a yard she runs around in every day, but i can't wait for it to cool off so she can be by my side again. i know she loves her walks, too.
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    depends on the day and the weather. I live on New England so right now we have too much snow to take them walking, they don't like the snow, but in the other 3 seasons we go out for 2 hours, then the little ones get tired.
  • AltSpeaking
    AltSpeaking Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Its about 60 min most days here, but we live on a large property and we spend about 45-60 min running and playing soccer in the back field ontop of that (2 GSD mixes)
  • Ozzyzmommy
    Ozzyzmommy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 yr old Chiweenie with arthritis in shoulders and hips :cry: .. But we try to walk 3-4 times a day for 20-30 min each walk :happy:
  • Aynetal3
    Aynetal3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We are getting our Collie/Golden Retriever Mix in September. He's in training now for being a service dog. From what we have read we should be aiming for 45-60 minutes at least once or twice a day. I have problems in only being about to walk 5-6 minutes at a time, so I'm getting a scooter before we get Dakota so we can meet his exercise needs, and then in the meantime, we've got ordered a treadmill and recumbent bike so we can begin working-up those minutes. Dakota is being trained for a lot, but as well for the treadmill so on the really bad days he can get his exercise while I'm on the bike. Really hoping everything works. We're listening intently to you!

Our best,
    Ann
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I have waterdog/dachshund mix (he's 2 years old and I got him month ago) and we walk at least 3 times a day. 20-30 mins in the morning, 0,5-1,5 hours after work and 15-30 mins in the evening. During my day off we might take 3 hour walk like yesterday :smile:
  • Betti2
    Betti2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    my dog gets an hour a day I try to walk 6km when i am well enough
  • Peaceandwater
    Peaceandwater Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 year old Rottie mix and we do a 20 minute walk every morning (includes some uphill and downhill) at a trail near my house. She is lucky that she can be off-leash there and run around. Then when I get home from work it is usually time for fetch which is great exercise for her but not much for me.... But on the weekends we go for long hikes (1-6 hours depending on the mountain).
  • HoneyFrogger
    HoneyFrogger Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I walk my Jack Russell Rocco mile in the morning, 2 miles in the evening and another half n' half mile in the evening time :) They are packed with Energy :D
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I walk my two dogs, Abby and Pixie, about 30 minutes each day. Abby is a Schnoodle and is getting older (13) and has a bit of a limp on her front right. Pixie is a Japanese Chin. She could do without the walk altogether. She would prefer to sleep or keep watch on the neighbourhood.
  • babybellyfat
    babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    awww your chi is cute!! I also have a chihuahua :) and a toy poodle!