Prepping for Surgery!

Options
arh0317
arh0317 Posts: 33 Member
Hello!
First, I'm so glad to have this forum to learn so much from all of you who have experienced VSG!

I wanted to ask if anyone would recommend any "must haves" that I should be sure to get or make certain I have on hand as my surgery is on 8/6!

I'm still hoping I'm making the right choice of this specific surgery as the rapid loss is what's going to be key for me personally.

And, if you experienced "bathroom issues" before surgery, did things seem to get better after? I'm so tired of having to run to the bathroom often even when things should be otherwise.

Finally, how have things changed for you? Are cravings any better? Difficulty with changing old habits? Smaller portions? Drinking on schedule not while eating?

Thanks and hopefully not too many questions at once :-D

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I suggest going back in the forum and reading a few pages back of topics. You will see so much discussion of every stage of this process, then ask some specific questions that either don't make sense to you or are specific to yourself.

I did that and learned so much in a couple of hours of reading.

I am pre-op and will be having my surgery on Sept. 30!

Rob
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I suggest going back in the forum and reading a few pages back of topics. You will see so much discussion of every stage of this process, then ask some specific questions that either don't make sense to you or are specific to yourself.

I did that and learned so much in a couple of hours of reading.

I am pre-op and will be having my surgery on Sept. 30!

Rob

Agreed. There are lots of resources on this board. I am just over a year out from surgery, and I would definitely recommend that you have several high protein shakes/flavors that you like on hand, as you'll need them during your liquid phase. You will likely not feel like eating anything for at least the first few weeks, and so your water and protein become even more important. Also, for whatever it's worth, do not set overly high expectations for how quickly you will lose. Everyone loses at a different rate, and many of us who have been through the process for awhile realize that there are still ups and downs at the scale and the rate of loss isn't as important as the longevity of the loss. If you look at it averaged out over the long term, I've lost just under 2 lbs. per week this year, but over a year that's been almost 100 lbs.! The key is "long term"...it's a marathon, a lifelong process, and not a sprint to goal. The first few months it will seem like the weight kind of falls off, since you'll have little interest in eating, but at some point (for me it was around the 5 to 6 month mark) you'll be able to eat again and that's where making good choices (protein first!) and getting in your water and exercise will help you succeed ;-) Good luck and we're always here if you have more questions!
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am having surgery a week from today. My post-op diet is clear liquids with protein for 1-2 weeks and then full liquids for another 2-3 weeks before moving on to purees. I have bought a case of Isopure Zero Carb, some sample packets of Syntrax Nectar, froze some broth that I like from a local vietnamese restaurant, ordered unflavored protein and chickens soup protein. I also have a case of Premier Protein from Costco. I also have a crystal light like product but made with Stevia to flavor water and I'll make some popsicles out of that (with unflavored protein in them.) I am currently on a liquid diet so am using some of it now. I still need to get my pain RX from my doctor, get that filled, and get gas-x strips, prilosec and maybe some benefiber.

I'm on liquids only now and it seems like liquid in=liquid out. I was really worried about this yesterday but searched the internet and found it is normal and should get better in a couple of days.

Good luck to you!!
  • Latse
    Latse Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Must haves that were stocked in my house before leaving for surgery - my protein shake of choice (don't forget almond/soy/cow milk if needed), chicken/beef stock, crystal light, SF popciles and tea bags (liquid stage) added greek yogurt, riccota cheese and cottage cheese to purreed stage.

I didn't have any bathroom issues prior to surgery but for 8+ months after surgery I was painfully constipated. I also followed a VLC diet with less then 40g of carbs in it for the first year. So I ate very little fiber and over the couter softeners didn't work that well.

Are cravings any better? Difficulty with changing old habits?
    - remember the surgery only changes the size of your stomach, I still get cravings at TOM, I still struggle with emotional eating, and I still need to make good food choices. The NUT and MD can give you some great tools to help defeat old bad habits. but you wont wake up from surgery and not have some of the old cravings. That cheesecake/coke/oreo is still going to look really good, you just have to choose what you want more, weightloss and healthier life or that peice of cheesecake.

Smaller portions?
    - to help remind me to keep my portions small I bought smaller bowls and plates. Still at 2 years out if I use a regular size plate and just put my food on it w/o measuring or weighing (like at a buffet) I will put way more on there then I am able to eat. Ccales and measuring cups are your friends :)

hope some of that helps and good luck!
  • arh0317
    Options
    That does help, thanks! This is more of what I was looking for when asking these questions as I have read back through many many posts and these seem to continue to be what I'd like to know more about. I'm worried a little about dumping syndrome and really hope things normalize in that area for me.

I guess when it comes to the time frame, for me this is a big deal. That's what I've otherwise been lacking and what makes me question if I'm choosing the correct surgery.

Thanks all for the information!
  • kellysuemclean
    kellysuemclean Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I definitely had "bathroom issues" for years before my surgery, and I am happy to say that YES, it is so much better!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Must haves after surgery: For me it was G2 or some low calorie electrolyte repleneshing drink. I'd HAD high blood pressure, but post op it went really low due to slight dehydration. The extra sodium\potassium helped bring it up and obviously you need the fluids. I also used Jr Tylenol rather than narcotic pain meds. It was enough for the pain for me and didn't taste bad like crushed pills. You may want a pillow to splint your stomach during the ride home. Use it if you have to cough or sneeze. Water mix protein products- I found them easier to get down post-op than milky rich shakes. Syntrax Nectar and Isopure come to mind, but don't stock up as your tastes may change. I used to take mirilax daily before surgery. Today I get by on a multistrain probiotic. Expect things in that department to be a rollercoaster for the first couple of months. Once you're back on solids it should even out. Everyone's experience is different though. Cravings? Yes, much better. I decided early on to not live like I'm on a "diet". I get to eat like a thin person now. I work out 5 days per week and if there's something sticking in my head for a few days, (I try not to give into every whim immediately), I have it. I work it into my nutrition for the day so there is no guilt. Changing old habits? Giving up soda kinda sucked. Getting off caffiene was hard. I'd been drinking diet coke like water. Now I do one cup of regular coffee every morning spiked with a serving of chocolate whey and that's my caffeine for the day. Smaller portions seem perfectly normal now. For the first 6 months I had a learning curve, (painful at times) where I learned the limits of my "shock collar". The key is to slow down enough that you learn where full is. I still eat too fast so I tend to eat 1/2 of my mini-portion and stop for at least 5 minutes. If I still want more, at that point it's much easier to slow down so I don't over fill. Over filling is painful so you learn not to do it. I still struggle with fluids even 10 months out. I have to be very intentinal to get them in. I keep G2 on hand all summer as sometimes the BP still goes a bit low and it helps bring it up. Not drinking with meals comes naturally now as it makes me uncomfortable and over full, I've learned to avoid it. All in all, it's been a very positive experience. I've lost "an Olsen twin" and hit goal this week. Off all meds except the PPI which I'll probably take forever. I have my life back!
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on meeting your goal this week bikerchk. That is AMAZING. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    That does help, thanks! This is more of what I was looking for when asking these questions as I have read back through many many posts and these seem to continue to be what I'd like to know more about. I'm worried a little about dumping syndrome and really hope things normalize in that area for me.

I guess when it comes to the time frame, for me this is a big deal. That's what I've otherwise been lacking and what makes me question if I'm choosing the correct surgery.

Thanks all for the information!

The beauty of dumping syndrome is that it doesn't really occur unless you break the rules. 6g to 10g of sugar is what we are allowed. That is what is in most - but not all (dang luna bars!) protein bars. I can have 2 tsp of pretty much any dessert. Those are empty calories anyway. You have to watch out for some meal replacement shakes as they can also be high in sugar. I experienced dumping early on with saltines and some corn tortillas. This was very helpful as I was resisting letting go of my trigger foods. Not everyone gets dumping syndrome. You cannot rely on the sleeve to stop you from eating your trigger foods or even portion controlling them for wt loss. Good luck.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I second sugar free popsicles and chicken broth or chicken bouillon cubes :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi, you will find that your taste might change post op, so have a small variety of protein drink products on hand, and then shop for a better supply once you are home and deciding which ones you still like. For me, I did better with high protein chicken and beef broth I got from my doctor's office. I also highly reccomend an unflavored protein powder that you can add to any kind of broth or drink to up the protein levels without changing the taste. Isopure Zero is a great flavored water with over 40 grams of protein per bottle. Counts for both water and protein!

Pre surgery I suffered from IBS. Post surgery, not at all. Turns out it wasn't IBS it was me overfilling my colon. Most bathroom issues go away with the vastly reduced amount of food you are putting in your colon. That said, because you are drinking your nutrition for awhile, you might get constipated, so be aware of that and prepared to counter it. And as Mangopickle said, if you do have dumping syndrom and not everyone does, it's because you ate something you shouldn't have. Figure out what that was (probably something loaded with sugar) and avoid it.

It's overwhelming all the information and the new eating routine, but you will manage it. We all do. And then it's back to normal food, but a new kind of normal focusing on high protein, low fat and carbs and some good green vegtables. Good luck with your surgery. It's a wonderful life changing experience.
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    First, I'm so glad to have this forum to learn so much from all of you who have experienced VSG!

I wanted to ask if anyone would recommend any "must haves" that I should be sure to get or make certain I have on hand as my surgery is on 8/6!

I'm still hoping I'm making the right choice of this specific surgery as the rapid loss is what's going to be key for me personally.

And, if you experienced "bathroom issues" before surgery, did things seem to get better after? I'm so tired of having to run to the bathroom often even when things should be otherwise.

Finally, how have things changed for you? Are cravings any better? Difficulty with changing old habits? Smaller portions? Drinking on schedule not while eating?

Thanks and hopefully not too many questions at once :-D

Must haves: I hid people on my Facebook who posted or shared pictures of food before the procedure during my pre-op fast. Post-op sugar-free popsicles were a life saver. I don't think I would have gotten my daily 64oz of fluid without them. I'd bring things to keep you entertained in case they keep you. I expected to go home the same day. They kept me for two nights.

Bathroom issues: Going #2 was a dreadful experience for the first week. It hurt trying to push it out. Totally worth it.

Changes: I've dropped 80lbs in under 3 months. (ticker says different, but I gained more before I embarked on this most recent journey.) I swim for hours at a time. I can hike for miles. Some of my old clothes are starting to fit again. Chairs are getting less tight. I can sleep for hours without waking up in excruciating back pain. I've got more drive, more focus. My dreams are getting closer to reality everyday. The best part... I'm not going to die because of my weight. I had this surgery because I wasn't living, and I want to live. Best of luck to you!
  • arh0317
    Options
    Way to go! Thanks everyone for the info! Today was my final dr appt before surgery on the 6th. I haven't had to do a pre-op diet. I wonder if anyone ever experiences difficulty with the staples being in forever. I suppose I need to go ahead and purchase all the vitamins too. It'll be time soon!
  • lucyw70
    lucyw70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My doctor said no vitamins for the first week. At my one week appointment I went ahead and bought the bariatric multivitamin and calcium from my doctor's office, just to be sure I got my vitamins in. It is hard for me to get the bariatric vitamins down, they are chewable and very chalky. I did ok in the beginning but now am regretting buying such a big bottle!
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I will have to go look at all the helpful resources on this board as well. I will be having my surgery in about 7 weeks :)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sugar free Popsicles are the bomb after surgery. Vita fusion multivitamin gummies and fiber gummies are fabulous. Viactive calcium plus vit d caramels are yummy. I found all chewables revolting post surg and gave mine away after finding gummies. My nut just said double the dose for VSG pts. I have maintained perfect labs for 8 months.