How soon will I need to buy new clothes?!

Options
lbrown1428
lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
Sorry if this has been asked before. I will be having my surgery September 12th and am barely 5 ft tall and currently weigh 214 lbs. I am currently in sizes 13 & 15/16 wearing 2XX shirts. I'm wondering how soon I will need to buy some new clothes after having my surgery? TIA

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I tend to replace things when I've gone down 2 or more sizes and then I buy a size smaller than I am currently wearing so that I can wear it longer. I still buy things with stretch, again so I can wear longer before it's just too big. I've had a few things that continued to look fine as they got bigger and bigger and I stopped wearing them when they just wouldn't stay on anymore.

Hope that helps,

Pat
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I started replacing things after about a month. I'd lost like 12 in the couple weeks pre-op and 17 the month after. Started out at 235ish @5'6" in an 18 or 1X-2X. Once I started to have a waist again, I just wasn't happy with clothes that didn't fit. I spent a lot of time in leggings and stretchy tunic tops as well as skirts\dresses as they are a bit more forgiving when they get loose, (except some of the skirts that just fell off!). Still spent a fortune on clothes. I discovered second hand boutiques like Plato's Closet and Ditto to replace some of the nice pieces once I got down into goal range. You can get MissMe jeans there for about half retail. If you can find something you can throw a belt over to get a bit more mileage, that works sometimes. Thought I culled closets for the last time, but I'm sure there's some winter stuff in the back that's huge. Found a wrap top that no longer wraps, but just hangs the other day. It's a GOOD problem to have!
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Alright thanks ladies! I know when I was about 15 pounds lighter I coudon't even keep my sweat pants up, but I'd say my jeans will fit a while longer and my shirts. I can't wait for my surgery date! Had to wait longer so that way my hubby will be on vacation when I have the surgery and can watch our 8 year old and almost 2 year old.
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    what I had done was save all of my good and expensive clothing in plastic bins (after dry cleaning) and put them away -

I originally was a size 8-10 - so when I started to loose weight from 234) - I went shopping in my closet. I have lost 60 pounds and have not needed to buy anything new except lingerie.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Goodwill, consignment and thrift stores are great. And when Jan clearance sales roll around at Belks and Macy's you will completely be able to take advantage of all the cheap clothes on the clearance rack in size medium like I did. Didn't pay more than $8 for any top and most were $4. Got 2 dresses for $11. I just bought size 6 code Bleu jeans at Goodwill for $2.25, Ann Taylor Loft Jeans for $0.99, Clark's, merrells and Rialto shoes for $4.99. I just pop in once a week and check the racks. When you are thin you can be really choosey about what to buy. You can always find something fab on the clearance rack. There is even a consignment shop in Hendersonville TN for people who have lost a lot of wt called Up and Down. People turn back in the clothes they can no longer wear.
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    Everybody is different and tbh every weight loss I have had seems different. I have been this weight before but swear not at the same size as I am now. I am between a 16-18 (AU) but the last time I was this weight I was a bigger size than this. Maybe the clothes have changed but I really do feel smaller than an 18 right now. My frustration area is my arms. I can get plenty of 16's to fit but not in the arms. :-) I have always had bigger arms.
    Anyway I use clothes shopping as my reward for reaching certain goals. However sometimes you just have to buy something to fit regardless. I had already sent a set of clothes to the charity store but the other day had to send the ones I bought to replace those as well. I am tending to buy cheaper clothing for now, knowing it wont be here for long. Once I reach my final goal I can reward myself with some nicer clothes that I know I will get longer use out of.
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started out in a tight size 16 jeans and a 2X shirt. I am 5' 5" and was 234.6 on day of surgery. I am now 158.2 and a litlle over 6 moths post op. I have lost 76 pounds. I was in size 14's about a month after surgery. I was in 12's for only 30 days. I only bought 2 pairs of jeans knowing that my weight was falling off. At the beginning of summer I bought size 8 shorts, about 8 pairs, got them for less than $8 each at JC Penneys. They are loose now but I won't buy new ones this year because they probably would be too big by the time next summer comes. I pick up tshirts on clearance, and get stuff the next size down, might as well when they are a few bucks. I don't get attached to anything too pretty since it won't fit for long. So I started in size 16 and am now in a loose 8 six months later.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    That consigment shop sounds awesome! I use Freecycle a lot- I give away my stuff as soon as it no longer fits ( I don't want to be tempted) and I look for posts in my size. Most communities have some version of Freecycle- check in Yahoo or Google groups. The sad truth is- I had to loose 50lbs before I needed new clothes. That's how in denial I was about how big I had become- I was wearing things that clearly did not fit....when I started I was wearing a 26/28 or 22/24. Four months later I'm wearing 16/18- and that's loose. Like a lot of people said- I don't get to much because I'm still in the process- and my solution is dresses. Dresses can be a little too big, or even a little too tight and you can still make it work- pants either fit or they don't....
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Took me a couple of months, most of my clothes were stretchy and I was taking full advantage of the stretchiness. Goodwill is awesome, I've found lots of nice stuff relatively inexpensive.