hardest thing for you to do when trying to lost weight?

Options
Personally for me I have an extremely hard time exercising. I'm a very lazy person and I have little motivation... I'm making it difficult here, any suggestions? What do you do when you feel unmotivated but you know you need to exercise? Any fun exercises?

Replies

• IronLogan300
    Options
    One thing I've notice is when I'm being lazy is I start small to get my body more motivated to do more. Such as take a walk around the yard, get my dog running around, go for a walk up and down the street, then make it around the block, then maybe around the next block. I'm a person who needs challenges, so I challenge myself, maybe with ok I played an hour of video games, so for every 15 mins I played I'm going to go for a 15 min walk. Even better though, when you want to watch tv sit in a position where you can still move your arms and legs, I do this a lot. While watching tv, do movement reps, such as lift your arms up and down like you would if using a machine at the gym, the weights aren't important for burning calories, its the reps of the movement. the weights help build the muscle, which by this point I've bought some weights to do this with while I'm watching tv.
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i cant handle myself around junkfood so i've had to stop bringing it into the house because i cant eat it in moderation.

im also really terrible about excercize. so i end up doing very small bouts to get my heart rate up at least once a day. yesterday i did 50 crunches, 30 squats, and some upper body stuff with tension bands. it was over in 5-10 minutes but at least i did SOMETHING, and got my heart rate up and "felt the burnnnnn" - even though its very small in comparison to most peoples workouts.
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    bangbangchoochootrain Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The first hardest thing for me is saying no to dessert and junk food. In a dining hall where you can serve what you want, its like your own rope to hang yourself with.

My next problem is I have very little internal motivation until about two weeks of consistent exercise. And if I skip a day because I'm tired, or I have a test, or I want to go out, or I'm on a tripe and I can't (see the problem already?), it all derails.

What I've found is that having a workout buddy helps. I also participate in NaNoWriMo and I recently found that doing the same thing that they suggest for your novel helps with exercise: tell someone. If your friends want to hang out, say "Hey sure, let's go after I workout and shower" or just slip it into a casual conversation "I think I'm going to workout before dinner/after work/etc." The guilt trip is a wonderful motivator.

Once you decide to exercise, get to the gym, drag out your dumbells, whatever, I do two things. One, if I'm doing something stationary, I bring something to do. Normally not reading, because I'm too slow and that's basically a last resort test-paper-competition weekend time crunch situation. I'll bring my phone and watch a show on netflix, especially action ones since they have epic theme songs to pedal or run to. Two, if I'm not feeling stationary work, I use a fitness app. I am in love with Nike Fitness trainer, although I have to say if you are starting from a zero exercise baseline even the most basic cardio will kick your butt. But it's timed, has a warm up and cool down, plus built in rest periods. Plus you can redo workout and see exactly how far you've come. I can remember (about a year ago, then I stopped: see point two) the first time I got through a minute of Russian Twists straight. It was beautiful.