honey

Options
Do you eat honey?

Replies

• sam88keys
    sam88keys Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Honey is an animal product. So no, vegans don't eat honey.
  • lobbylobster
    lobbylobster Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, I still eat honey. I'm vegan for ethical reasons, but the situation with honey bees can really be argued either way - we need bees to pollinate things, without beekeepers hives, farmland and urban areas would be massive dead zones.

ETA: Here in New Zealand, its relatively easy to get honey from smaller, more ethical operations.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    No way. In gathering honey, bees are crushed to death. Hives are transported to northern climates during summer months and taken back south in winter. Bees not inside the hives when the hives are rounded up are left behind to die in the cold.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    ...we need bees to pollinate things, without beekeepers hives, farmland and urban areas would be massive dead zones.

I agree with this. The decline in bee populations has a huge impact on ecosystem health. I hope someday to have my own backyard hive (in which I will try not to crush or freeze the bees), but I do believe my local beekeeping operations are on balance a positive thing.
  • railwaydave
    railwaydave Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a vegan you can respect Honey Bees by using Agave Nectar or Maple syrup instead of Honey. Honey is food for Bees not humans.
  • aedreana
    Options
    Exactly!!!! But be sure to check out your brand of maple syrup thoroughly, because maple sap is cut with fat in the syrup-making process. The FDA does not require the faf to be listed on the label-- and in many cases, maple syrup contains LARD.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you eat honey you're not a Vegan it's that simple.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    With respect, the argument that beekeepers are keeping the bee populations up is like saying rare livestock breeders are keeping an old tradition alive without which many rare breeds would become extinct.

The bees that are on the decline in the wild are not the same sub groups of bees that are kept for the honey industries. Those bees are not helping to keep alive the wild swarming or solitary bees of which there are many different strains and all are under threat.

What we do need is to look to providing (or returning) appropriate habitats for those bees to find shelter and food and to replenish their numbers. The honey industry will not help in this process.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    With respect, the argument that beekeepers are keeping the bee populations up is like saying rare livestock breeders are keeping an old tradition alive without which many rare breeds would become extinct.

The bees that are on the decline in the wild are not the same sub groups of bees that are kept for the honey industries. Those bees are not helping to keep alive the wild swarming or solitary bees of which there are many different strains and all are under threat.

What we do need is to look to providing (or returning) appropriate habitats for those bees to find shelter and food and to replenish their numbers. The honey industry will not help in this process.

I don't think the argument is that managed hives are helping to support the native bee populations. They are simply playing a similar ecological role, and one that is sorely needed. I also believe that the honey industry shares many common interests with those concerned with protecting native bees, particularly in regards to habitat preservation and pesticide use.

Personally I don't have a problem supporting local apiaries as I see them as much more benign than other animal operations and and even beneficial, but I understand that it crosses the line for some people.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I can go along with that; thank you for sharing.
  • lobbylobster
    lobbylobster Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I guess I see it slightly differently because I've only ever lived in New Zealand, but I've always been taught (at university level) that our native bees here don't pollinate crops well, so we actually do need bees to keep things going. I think it can be argued that I'm not vegan as a result, but I am really trying to act ethically in a big way- not just towards animals, but towards our ecosystems etc.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you eat honey you're not a Vegan it's that simple.

Fair enough. I don't even like honey that much. I was just curious about other people's views on the subject.
  • Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it, but I use it on my face.
    It's the only thing that has helped with my acne at all, so it's hard to stop. Plus it isn't filled with ****ty chemicals like face washes.
    Though, occasionally it finds its way into my mouth when I'm doing my face mask.
  • VegasaurusRex
    VegasaurusRex Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I accept that bees make the vegetables I eat possible, even though they are often mistreated in the process. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much of an alternative to this. I can't stop eating vegetables.

However, I can and do draw the line at honey. I don't know, with 100% certainty, that the bees experience suffering. But I don't need honey to be happy and healthy, and there are many alternatives (maple syrup, agave nectar, even substitutes like BeeFree Honee). So going without is not a hard decision.
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I "eat" vegan rather than "am" vegan - I've adopted the diet because of health reasons and not ethical concerns. And I'm new - 7 weeks.

Yesterday I had made everything for my sandwich, and found out I had run out of my whole grain whole wheat. The only thing in the cupboard washoney wheat bread.

I ate it. I don't feel ashamed per se, but I do feel let down, a little disappointed, maybe even a little bit mad.

7.5 weeks. But then I get to thinking about it...the gelatin capsules and bonding agents in my vitamins. I empty the capsules (it's only cinnamon)...Still, 99.999% of the way there, jumped into the deep end and a finger remains dry. It can be frustrating.

Yesterday I wasn't vegan by the width of two pieces of toast. Today, I did all right.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I eat honey and I'm a vegan. Local bee keepers are doing a lot of good keeping bee populations going when they is a huge problem with a plummeting bee population in the world.

No one group defines what a vegan is. I have been around for many years and been a vegetarian decades ago. The issue of eating honey was never defined as vegan or not vegan until the last couple decades. Being vegan has become polarizing. I don't enter the controversy.
  • curlygirl513
    Options
    I "eat" vegan rather than "am" vegan - I've adopted the diet because of health reasons and not ethical concerns. And I'm new - 7 weeks.

Thank you for posting. I needed the right words. Now I have them. I eat vegan too.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Yesterday I had made everything for my sandwich, and found out I had run out of my whole grain whole wheat. The only thing in the cupboard washoney wheat bread.

I ate it. I don't feel ashamed per se, but I do feel let down, a little disappointed, maybe even a little bit mad.

7.5 weeks. But then I get to thinking about it...the gelatin capsules and bonding agents in my vitamins. I empty the capsules (it's only cinnamon)...Still, 99.999% of the way there, jumped into the deep end and a finger remains dry. It can be frustrating.

Yesterday I wasn't vegan by the width of two pieces of toast. Today, I did all right.

We do the best we can. It's hard to be 100% vegan all the time.
  • curlygirl513
    Options
    I eat honey and I'm a vegan. Local bee keepers are doing a lot of good keeping bee populations going when there is a huge problem with a plummeting bee population in the world.

No one group defines what a vegan is. I have been around for many years and been a vegetarian decades ago. The issue of eating honey was never defined as vegan or not vegan until the last couple decades. Being vegan has become polarizing. I don't enter the controversy.
  • aedreana
    Options
    News flash: vegans don't eat honey.