TMI question for the ladies

Options
I was sleeved on Wednesday 7/23, and my period, which was due 8/4, just came. Think it's just due to all the body changes or something to be worried about? Planning on giving the doctor a call but was curious if this happened to anyone else.

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've had a hysterectomy but have heard it's quite common to have an off schedule period after surgery. Between the shock to the system and the rapid release of hormones stored up in fat tissue things can get a bit wacky for a bit.
  • ScoutingMomRosnick
    ScoutingMomRosnick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Your cycle will be off for a few months or more depending on how fast you are losing your weight. As bikrchk said "...the rapid release of hormones..." Also know that I've been instructed that a woman can become pregnant much easier after the sleeve due to losing weight and crazy hormones. They were recommending people wait a year to have babies due to the stress of pregnancy while healing and learning to eat properly. I assume it wouldn't be enough calories to sustain mommy and baby at first.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I got my period ten days early a few days after my sleeve surgery. It was brutal too. I'm due anyday now, and nothing yet. I have a feeling i'm going to be wonky for awhile :)
  • debraplumley
    debraplumley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also got my period the day after my surgery. I just had mine on the 22nd of July as well. I hadn't had a period in over a year
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Had a horrible cycle after surgery. Since having my child 9 yrs ago I was relieved to have easy if intermittent cycles. 8 months out my cycle isn't painful anymore but by God I am extremely regular now. I used to only cycle 6 times a year.
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Good to know this is normal
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I take progesterone so I don't get a period, because they were really bad after I had my kids. But once I started my pre-op liquid diet, I started to cramp and get my period, even though my progesterone dose is the same. I asked my doctor about it and he said it is normal and will even out again in a few months. I am going to have to be off of my progesterone for the day of surgery, which doesn't sound like much but it needs to be constant. I am really worried I am going to get out of surgery and then have super bad cramps and a heavy period on top of it!
  • wendyp1000
    wendyp1000 Posts: 15
    Options
    I got my period the day of surgery just hours later! And I had my period just 2 weeks before ... it is stress on the body and hormones changing etc ...No worries ... but even though I had a catheter, I am VERY GLAD I brought underwear and some pads just in case... It made me feel more comfortable and less worried about staining the sheets while at the hospital... Been home three weeks and haven't had it again yet ...
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm 4+ months out and my period is still irregular. I skipped my first one, some are heavy, some are light, sometimes they come 3 weeks apart. My dr said it's pretty normal to have irregular periods post op.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Mine hit like a bomb right after surg- and has been the most regular it's ever been since surg in March. Overall- it's better, on time, easy and less brutal than it used to be- whatver the surg did for my hormones- it's been good!
  • frog1429
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy as well, and issues with your hormones after the surgery. I am in the beginning states of being authorized for it through insurance and I am worried about that. I had a full hysto.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Surgery, and even the pre-surgery diet, had an effect on me. My OB said it is completely normal. Your body is going through big changes inside of you, so expect things to be different now and again.