Ghee: the next best...health food?!

Options
I don't know about you all, but I grew up always being told by my grandmother, mother, and aunties that ghee is one of those high-fat foods that shouldn't be consumed all the time. Obviously, a lot of Indian dishes are traditionally made in ghee, but I think nowadays, a lot of us find alternative oils to cook our foods in to help make them a little healthier.

So imagine my surprise when I started hearing from my non-desi friends that they're all cooking in ghee now, because it's "better for you" than, say, EVOO. My response: WHAT?! ARE YOU INSANE?!

I don't know why this has been going around, but I'm wondering if this is becoming a fad in other areas, too? I personally blame the Paleo/Whole 30 diet for glamorizing ghee. I just think it's so weird that all of a sudden people (mostly non-desis) are going on about how it's so good for you and better for you than regular butter or other oils. But if you talk to the Indian community, most people will laugh at the thought of ghee being good for us. Or at least, that's the case in my family and extended local Indian community.

Anyone else have any experiences with this? Thoughts?

Replies