First week cycling seriously, I surprised myself!

Options
Areneholmes
Areneholmes Posts: 46 Member
I've been seeing this big group of people riding around town on their fancy road bikes, and they all look so healthy, active and happy. I want that! I have two older bikes in storage so I pulled one out and got it into working condition (it still needs some tuning, but so far so good). I think it's some kind of hybrid road/mountain bike, but whatever, there are PLENTY of trails around here, including a 12 mile round trip trail a few blocks from where I live along the Savannah River. So why not?

I pack some light snacks, lots of water, a small towel and a swimsuit. I wear a heart rate monitor just to check up on myself and track with MapMyRun. There's several areas where to swim in the river on this trail, and I've done that once this week, which has been very refreshing with the heat being in the 90s.

I've been riding this trail for a week, with today being the last day. I've racked up 53.8 miles primarily on this cheapo walmart special. I'm really proud of myself, and I know I'm hooked.

Now I just need to get myself some comfortable padded riding shorts and start saving up for my first serious bicycle. :) Maybe someday I can hang with that group I keep seeing around town. Is that a real goal? I'm excited, I don't care! :)

Wide picture to show my progress, click if you want to see the totals. :)
9BDkOXr.png

Replies

• cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Right on! Just keep turning the pedals and see what happens. :bigsmile:
  • robertcooper904750
    robertcooper904750 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Very envious of the mid ride swim. I started riding again after nearly 10 years off the bike last December and have lost 36lbs in weight and can now manage a 40 mile ride. So just be consistent and up you ride length little by little and before you know it you will be kicking it with the road group.
  • KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It's a very nice goal. I have a similar one. There is a group of riders where I live that rides apx 60 miles every Saturday. I can do the distance, but they ride at a faster pace than I can ride. My goal is to be able to work up to that pace. They pass me up often when I'm out riding, and they look to be having a great time. I pushed myself too hard these past several weeks trying to achieve this goal and got a overuse injury in my left leg, kinda like tennis elbow. Had to take a week off to rest. Cant wait to get back on the bike again. I just wont push myself so hard to work up to that faster pace now. I Love biking, always have. I think its awesome you are getting out there, and with such a nice trail too.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! Seems like a cool trail you have too, with the swimming options.
    I bet your local bike shop knows about that riding group. So you can browse the shop's bike offerings while asking about that too :)
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it's an achievable goal!! I started riding 4 years ago, having not ridden since I was a teenage lo those many years ago. I have lost well over 60lbs since riding and feel great. I ride solo and with a group and enjoy both. Most cycling clubs have several group rides to accommodate riders of different experience/capabilities.

My group has 4 groups

A rides = 21mph+ avg
    B rides = 18-20mph avg
    C rides = 15-17 mph avg
    D rides = 12-14mph avg

There are normal 2-3 organized rides every week but there are also mini groups that get together all the time for rides virtually every day.
  • Areneholmes
    Areneholmes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info and encouragement!
    I found all the info for their group rides on their website, and they do accommodate slower/newer riders. I just have to get a good road bike. I'm looking at the Trek 1.1C as my intro bike, or the Lexa. I won't know until I check them out more in person, though.
    I'm truly excited!
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Awesome for you! Trail riding can be lots of fun, gives you something different to look at besides the road. I just picked up a new Felt ZW95 and love it, I tried about 6 different bike at my local shop and this one felt (b=no pun intended) to me. I did however start off with a used LeMond Etape to make sure road bike was something I was serious about before spending a decent amount of money on a bike. I too would love to ride with a group, but I think I need to work on my speed and climbing skills first! Good luck!
  • GrindGravel
    GrindGravel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The Trek is not a bad starter bike at all, and finding a group with riders of your level is the smart way to start. The key as others mentioned, is slowly build up you miles and make time to ride. There may be some days you just don't feel it, but get out on the bike anyway. More often than not, you will be enjoying yourself by the third mile. Also, as you build up those miles look into signing up for a charity ride. Riding with a big group and reaching a new mileage goal is a great motivator, and by signing up it gives you accountability as well.

Good luck and keep riding!
  • rosewarrior_101
    rosewarrior_101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I am from India, where bicycling is a way to commute to work for more than 50% of the population, but then with a population of 1.5 Billion people that is quite a lot of cyclists. ;-) But yes, as i have been discovering over the last month there are fitness cyclists out here too, people who cycle to stay fit. There are no cycling clubs, though. Would love to join one of them. Was especially impressed with that lil trail with the swimming options.

Really wish we had some trails like that India. I do all my cycling here on the roads, dodging traffic and cattle on the roads. But, yes i can relate to what you have said. I have started serious cycling over the past two months, and its like i have discovered a totally new lifestyle. My facebook posts through runkeeper.com have actually motivated at least three more guys to start too, and that is most gratifying to note.

So, yes, cycling is certainly an option to get back into shape. And you have a lot options. I use a Trek D24 Joe, and it has made a difference in the mileage that i have been able to achieve.

Do keep it up, and we could catch up on that here.