Strongman training and the 5/3/1

Options
Anyone on here that trains Wendler 5/3/1 or for strongman in general?

Replies

• jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Anyone on here that trains Wendler 5/3/1 or for strongman in general?
    I've been using 5/3/1 for the last 9 months, and I figure I've got another 6 months where I'll stick with it some more. I really like the setup of the program and its giving me some pretty solid strength gains (for a guy who's never lifted before around this time last year).
  • bradzahringer
    Options
    Yea its a really solid and simple program and I just add some extra assistance work and of course my atlas stones. How many cycles have you ran?
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yea its a really solid and simple program and I just add some extra assistance work and of course my atlas stones. How many cycles have you ran?
    Just finished up week 1 of cycle 10
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for 7 months now. Really like it and how you don't ha 3 to lift at 1RM to get stronger. I have done it long enough now to make it my own. I stick to the matrix for 5 and 3 days. But 5/3/1 day is my joker day. I'll do the 5/3/1 lifts and then add weight for some 2RM work. I like going heavy once a month.
  • mrdjmo
    mrdjmo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I moved to wendler from 5x5 and I enjoy it much more, I also play rugby so found 5x5 a bit full on - I do wendler of 2 days a week example

Monday - Squats and Chest + accessories Back 5x5/ shoulders 3x10/ triceps 3x10/ biceps 3x10

Tuesday - Rugby Training

Wednesday - Deadlifts and OHP + accessories Back 5x5/ Triceps 3x 10/ biceps 3x10

Thursday - Rugby Training

Friday Rest

Saturday - Game day

Sunday - rest

Works well for me