pregnancy rant

Options
I'm feeling unbelievably huge and gross lately. I let myself get out of control. I have a relative living with us until.middle of October so my food choices have been poor. I commited to changing my eating habits. I have been going on daily walks with the kids, but that's not helping in the weight gain department. I'm 17weeks along and as of this morning I'm up 11lbs. I gained 9 lbs in the past 5weeks. I gained 3lbs magically few days ago and it's not going down. I started logging yesterday to make myself more aware, I don't have a calorie goal set, but I was at a little over 1900, before pregnancy I was eating 1300 to lose and 1500 to maintain. Is 1900 too much? Prepregnant I was 127-128 @ 5'5. I'm feeling so unhappy right now cause all I think about is eating and my next meal/snack lol.

Replies

• Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    11 lbs doesn't seem too excessive. You're pretty much half way through. Don't worry about it. Logging will help you keep things under control. 1900 sounds reasonable to me. My calories are at 2250 for maintenance and I'm 5'7 with starting weight of 147.

Keep active and make healthy choices. You will feel better about the pregnancy. :)
  • Jnh16
    Jnh16 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4'' and 120ish prepregnant and am eating 1800-1900 per day which has me gaining .5-1 lb per week. Its hard some days to stay disciplined though. You should be good at 1900 as long as your properly logging everything and making healthy food choices for those 1900 calories.
  • kalyrra
    kalyrra Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling unbelievably huge and gross lately. I let myself get out of control. I have a relative living with us until.middle of October so my food choices have been poor. I commited to changing my eating habits. I have been going on daily walks with the kids, but that's not helping in the weight gain department. I'm 17weeks along and as of this morning I'm up 11lbs. I gained 9 lbs in the past 5weeks. I gained 3lbs magically few days ago and it's not going down. I started logging yesterday to make myself more aware, I don't have a calorie goal set, but I was at a little over 1900, before pregnancy I was eating 1300 to lose and 1500 to maintain. Is 1900 too much? Prepregnant I was 127-128 @ 5'5. I'm feeling so unhappy right now cause all I think about is eating and my next meal/snack lol.

1900 calories sounds fine. You can use this calculator if you want, it's fairly accurate: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

Just make sure that you're eating 1900 calories of healthy food. Even if you only ate 1600 calories of junk, you would still probably gain weight. At least I would. :laugh:

You'll also see some gains here and there from growth spurts. Try to eat higher protein, it will keep you satisfied longer... and only eat if you're actually hungry! That's something I had to learn to differentiate with myself - whether I was actually hungry, or just thinking about food so I thought I was. And a lot of times, if you're thirsty you can confuse it with hunger as well. Try to drink a lot of water!

Especially in 2nd Tri, it's normal to be hungry every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. Eat small portions to keep your energy up. Hang in there, you're doing just fine! :flowerforyou:
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up - I'm 23 weeks and have gained 18 pounds. I've been eating good foods and being active with a goal of 1950 calories/day. People gain and grow differently. Like the other girls said, just work on getting healthy eats, but it's also not worth depriving yourself of that piece of chocolate if you really want it. It's all about finding a good balance.
  • papagal212
    papagal212 Posts: 93
    Options
    well yesterday I logged 1800cals and this morning I was up another lb. I seriously do not understand this. I gained 4lbs in the past 5days. Something is not right here. I've never gained this fast and this is my 3rd pregnancy. Just frustrating.
    Kaylarr that's great advice, I tend to eat just because, not because I'[m hungry. I heard somewhere, if your never hungry then youre eating too much, but if you're always hungry, your're not eating enough. I guess you gotta find that balance.
  • papagal212
    Options
    Well I just checked out my old MFP account when I was logging while pregnant back in 2012 and realized my problem. I was eating between 1700-2000 calories a day BUT I was exercising A LOT more. Like I have daily burns of ATLEAST 500 calories a day, I need to find my HRM and start monitoring my calories burned. I usually just wear my armband and aim for 10000+ steps a day (lat4ely I've been getting 15000-18000 steps a day). I guess we'll see what changes are going to happen. Obviously I'm not looking to lose weight, just get this gaining under control cause its been pretty ridiculous this past month.
  • katey_my_lady
    katey_my_lady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I definitely went through a growth spurt around that time. Have you talked with your care provider? Is she/he concerned with your weight gain? That might help reassure you or provide some guidance. To me you're doing fine. I gained 10 pounds at 20 weeks and was told I was right on track, so 11 pounds at 17 weeks doesn't seem excessive or problematic to me.
  • seidel1325
    seidel1325 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 lbs at 16 weeks and was 14 lbs up at 20 weeks. After that things kind of tapered off, I ended up gaining 26 lbs total. I wouldn't freak out about it too much. You're doing great!
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm 14 weeks & up 6lbs at least. I'm eating around 2,100 calories a day & not working out. I was trying to eat 1,900 but I was just too hungry! Prepregnancy weight 109lbs at 5'1" & now I'm about 115lbs. I gained 34lbs with baby #1 & am aiming for that this time around. I suggest talking to your dr. Have you ever had gestational diabetes? I hear most women gain more in the beginning with each pregnancy. Hang in there!
  • papagal212
    Options
    Thanks everyone, making me feel a bit better. I'm going to be the healthiest I can rest of pregnancy. I want to start dvd workouts again,prenatal workouts seem a bit easy, is there something someone can.recommend? I used during to love doing buff mom beyond baby body workout. I think I will start with that 3 days a week.I get bored rather fast though lol
  • mrsomeara
    mrsomeara Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great!

Like Katey said it sounds like a growth spurt. Mine started at 18 weeks and I was gaining like crazy (or what seemed to be crazy to me) and at 25 weeks it totally tapered off and I am back to kind of maintaining at 27 weeks. My last pregnancy I had the growth spurt much sooner. Each pregnancy is so different. Just keep logging and get your exercise in.

I think we ALL deserve kudos for the mere fact of being on MFP while pregnant :laugh:
  • seidel1325
    seidel1325 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think we ALL deserve kudos for the mere fact of being on MFP while pregnant :laugh:
    [/quote]

^^^This
  • lauradoingyoga
    lauradoingyoga Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking with my calories set to gain 0.5 lb per week but I've been gaining 1.5 lbs/week lately. Trying to remember we are retaining a bunch of fluids too. Up to 21 lbs at 25 weeks. Trying to just shrug off the weight gain and eat as healthfully as possible and keep exercising.
  • papagal212
    Options
    ya honestly there is nothing else I can do at this point. I didnt think 1800-1900 was too much but I have been gaining 1lb a day since logging. I'm ready to quit logging cause i'm gaining more than before. I was up another pound this morning. It makes NO sense. Yesterday I went on a really long walk with the kids, Went to the store which was 1.5miles away (so 3miles total) and then on our walk back home we stopped at the park to play. I was going down slides and all. And then in the evening I went for a 35min walk/run intervals. Ended up with over 18000 steps and I had 1750calories logged. I'm at lost. We are going to a water park tomorrow and I was hoping to get the 3lbs I put on last week down a little, but instead I gained 2 more. Its extremely depressing. Gaining 5lbs in less than a week?! I know my activity level is there, but maybe my calories are too high considering I was 1400-1500 before 2nd tri due to morning sickness. I dont know anymore., I thought I was okay with it yesterday, but to see another gain was down right depressing
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    ya honestly there is nothing else I can do at this point. I didnt think 1800-1900 was too much but I have been gaining 1lb a day since logging. I'm ready to quit logging cause i'm gaining more than before. I was up another pound this morning. It makes NO sense. Yesterday I went on a really long walk with the kids, Went to the store which was 1.5miles away (so 3miles total) and then on our walk back home we stopped at the park to play. I was going down slides and all. And then in the evening I went for a 35min walk/run intervals. Ended up with over 18000 steps and I had 1750calories logged. I'm at lost. We are going to a water park tomorrow and I was hoping to get the 3lbs I put on last week down a little, but instead I gained 2 more. Its extremely depressing. Gaining 5lbs in less than a week?! I know my activity level is there, but maybe my calories are too high considering I was 1400-1500 before 2nd tri due to morning sickness. I dont know anymore., I thought I was okay with it yesterday, but to see another gain was down right depressing

Stop weighing yourself. Honestly. 1400 calories per day during pregnancy doesn't sound healthy to me. Is your scale broken? I'm only weighing myself when going to the doctors. You may want to take a break from weighing yourself. You will gain weight and every pregnancy is different.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I know it's stressful to see the scale go up but there are so many factors. Added lbs doesn't always equal added fat. In order to gain 1lb a day from food you'd have to eat 3500 calories more than maintenance so you'd be eating 5000-5500 calories depending on your body which is unlikely. Are you consuming a lot of sodium? That can cause water retention. Drinking lots of water helps flush the excess. If you consume too few calories it could be bad for the baby. Based on your height and weight around 1700 is probably much safer than 1400. Try talking to your doc. Below is one example of where the extra lbs go.

•7 1/2 pounds baby
    •1 1/2 pounds placenta
    •4 pounds is attributed to increased fluid volume.
    •2 pounds is the weight of the uterus.
    •2 pounds is the weight of breast tissue.
    •4 pounds is because of increased blood volume.
    •7 pounds is attributed to maternal stores of fat, protein and other nutrients.
    •2 pounds for the amniotic fluid.
    •Total: 30 pounds
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, making me feel a bit better. I'm going to be the healthiest I can rest of pregnancy. I want to start dvd workouts again,prenatal workouts seem a bit easy, is there something someone can.recommend? I used during to love doing buff mom beyond baby body workout. I think I will start with that 3 days a week.I get bored rather fast though lol

Check out YouTube. There are great prenatal, Zumba, low impact cardio workouts!
  • justinskitty
    justinskitty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been freaking out the past few days. So bad that I've been dreaming about gaining the same 60lbs I did with my first. Nightmares! I'm terrified of getting fat. I'm up 11lbs as of last week at 25 weeks. Tomorrow is my weigh in day and my GD test too. Sigh. I'm pretty sure I've put on another 2lbs since last week :( I've been so hungry and it's so hard to control my cravings. I'm so mad it makes me cry. 15 weeks is more than enough time to gain a ton of weight and I'm so scared I won't be able to gain control. We are leaving for my mil house Wednesday and she cooks with full fat everything. Thinking about it just makes my blood pressure rise. We will be there an entire week :( I know there's a happy medium some where but I just can't find it. I'm a mess.
  • papagal212
    Options
    Oh dear, no I never said I will eat 1400, I was saying that before pregnancy I was maintaining between 1400 and 1500 calories. Maybe the big jump to 1800 calories is causing all this and it'll even out at the end???? This is my 3rd pregnancy and so far I gained the most weight at this point with this one. With ny daughter I gained 50lbs and with my.son 34lbs so it's scary thinking I might get 50 again cause I've been averaging 3lbs a week and I'm only 18wks. Golly.