MFP calories or Jawbone calories?

Options
christinartnd
christinartnd Posts: 20 Member
Hi guys. Fairly new to this. I have recently upgraded to a jawbone after trying both the fuelband and the fitbit and the jawbone is a really nice middle ground for me.

Only thing I am slightly confused on is my calorie intake. Negative adjustments is turned on, activity level on MFP is correct. It's just that MFP wants me to eat around 1300 calories a day whilst Jawbone has an extra 300-400 calories left to eat via the app?

Little confused. Thank you!

Replies

• eleamtedon
    Options
    Hi,
    The Up computes your global calories, the ones you are effectively consuming in your day.
    MFP does the same (physical exercice excluded), but then MFP reduces your intake to account for the weight you want to loose.
    With your settings, the up sends your data to MFP, then MFP substracts the correct number for your weight loss, and sets the total for the day.
    On the MFP app you can tap on the line "Jawbone up adjustement" and see the computations.
    As an example, yesterday it told me:
    Calories burned (Up estimate): 1821
    Calories burned (MFP): 1625
    So i get 1821-1625=196 calories for my steps and workouts of the day, that are added to my "normal reduced diet" of 1200 cal.
    In the end, you should trust MFP, because the Up does not account for the weight your want to loose. The Up just tells you what you really burnt.
    I hope it will be clear enough, or that someone else will explain a bit better next time...
    Good luck!
  • christinartnd
    Options
    Ooohh that does help quite a lot (I think!) I'm going to have another read and look around my info and try and understand it a bit more but thank you very much!
  • raymiles
    raymiles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is a bit confusing to begin with. Also it seems to estimate the number of calories you will have burned by the end of the day, based on how many you have burned the last time you synced. This throws things off in my case, since I tend to do all my heavy exercise in the morning rather than late at night!
    I use MFP for logging food and Up for the exercise.
  • christinartnd
    Options
    It is a bit confusing to begin with. Also it seems to estimate the number of calories you will have burned by the end of the day, based on how many you have burned the last time you synced. This throws things off in my case, since I tend to do all my heavy exercise in the morning rather than late at night!
    I use MFP for logging food and Up for the exercise.

it definitely throws me off seeing that my jawbone usually has "last synced at - include ridiculous time here-"
    e.g. sometimes it's last sync will be 8 or 11am which is really unhelpful because i cant get it to manually sync!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Do not log any step-based activity. Your UP is already tracking it for you.

Log non-step exercise (like biking or swimming) in UP—never MFP.

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Set your activity level to sedentary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided & set your goal to .5 lb. per week for each 25 lbs. you need to lose.

Follow your MFP goal, eating back your UP adjustments.

Your UP total burn is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). If you follow my instructions you'll be eating at TDEE minus an appropriate deficit. I lost the weight & have maintained for 6 months using these settings.