*sigh* Will you make up your mind?

Options
Shalaurise
Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
Ha! So my little fitbit can't seem to decide if I have earned extra calories. At 8 am it was like, you have earned 75, now it's like just kidding you have earned 61.

Make up your mind ya wackadoodle.

Seems to me like it should be a simple "your BMR X, you have done this much more than your BMR and have earned Y thus we allot you Y more." but noooo, little schizophrenic thing is like, 15, 24, 75, 64, 52, 61 Hike!

So hard to plan like this.

Random vent/laugh. Have a great day all!

Replies

• scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've never had my Fitbit take away any calories or minutes as I've heard other people complaining about. I think it may be something in the settings. I have the calorie estimation disabled (I think that is what may be affecting you) ... that is just in the main settings (the little wheel at the top right of the webpage, then go to settings, and down to preferences). Fitbit tries to guess what your activity will be based on the past, then adjusts as it actually happens.

I also have my food plan set to sedentary, so it starts me out with a really low (800 or so) calorie allowance for the day, then adds to it as I am active and the day progresses.

My numbers only go up, they never go down unless I manually change something (the Fitbit overestimates one of my workouts, so I do go in and alter that, as I don't want extra calories it didn't actually earn).

Check out that calorie estimation setting ... disable it and see if that helps! :)
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you're continuously active throughout the day then the calorie adjustment will continue to increase, but if (for example) you're particularly active during the morning but then sit around watching TV all afternoon then you'll find that your adjustment decreases. It tries to predict how many calories you'll burn that day based upon how active you've been up until that point. If you end up being less active for the rest of the day than it expects you to be then thats when the number decreases.

I have the calorie estimation setting and the negative adjustment setting disabled, but mine sometimes still goes down throughout the day if I'm particularly sedentary. It always reduces from the last time I sync it before bed to the number I see the next morning due to being completely inactive (whilst sleeping) for the last couple of hours of the day.

Hope that helps! :)
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    What itsjustmish said... Except, I think I saw MFP staff post in the technical forum section that the projection/estimate of the full Fitbit burn is based on your fitbit burn so far (how active you have been) and your MFP activity level for remaining hours (so if set to sedentary the 1.25 times your BMR or whatever MFP uses and for lightly active the 1.33 or whatever MFP uses, etc). I am set to lightly active and usually see a small reduction when sleeping and sometimes in the evening after dinner if I go into fully sedentary mode. It helps if I make an effort to move around in the evening like walking around/moving during tv commercials, etc. I think typically reducing adjustments happen when people have a lot of activity early in the day, then they reduce their activity. I imagine it may be less a problem for people set to sedentary, but even sedentary assumes some movement so it can still happen especially after going to bed.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options

Seems to me like it should be a simple "your BMR X, you have done this much more than your BMR and have earned Y thus we allot you Y more." but noooo, little schizophrenic thing is like, 15, 24, 75, 64, 52, 61 Hike!

Your Fitbit calorie burn is kind of that. Each minute you get credit for your BMR and any activity it tracks or you logged.

But your MFP Fitbit Adjustment is calculated by MFP not Fitbit. It is actually MFP comparing your fitbit burn at that time to what MFP expected (based on your MFP activity level so not just BMR). Except, MFP needs a 24 hour calorie burn and fitbit only credits for time passed. So MFP projects what it expects your fitbit burn to be based on your activity so far and your MFP activity level for time remaining. MFP recalculates it every time it syncs to fitbit.com so the adjustment may change depending on how it compares to expected. I know it can be kind of frustrating to work with a potentially moving target.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have the negative adjustment turned off. What Kimsied said seems the most accurate explanation for what I am experiencing. I figured there was a reason for it, just saddening when you think that a snack isn't going to screw dinner over and then... it does.

*looks at plate of food that I can't eat*
    bRDTxhX.gif

I hadn't noticed the "Fitbit calorie adjustment" lower (unless I logged exercise) before. I had previously thought, that once I earned the calories they were mine to keep, but since noticing the variance I have gone back to not eating exercise calories until the end of the day... if I have the time or consciousness level to do it.

giphy.gif
  • KymGreer92
    KymGreer92 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have the negative adjustment turned off. What Kimsied said seems the most accurate explanation for what I am experiencing. I figured there was a reason for it, just saddening when you think that a snack isn't going to screw dinner over and then... it does.

*looks at plate of food that I can't eat*
    bRDTxhX.gif

I hadn't noticed the "Fitbit calorie adjustment" lower (unless I logged exercise) before. I had previously thought, that once I earned the calories they were mine to keep, but since noticing the variance I have gone back to not eating exercise calories until the end of the day... if I have the time or consciousness level to do it.

giphy.gif

I love your gif. Thanks for the laugh. :laugh: