Weighing yourself

Options
loopy12355
loopy12355 Posts: 8 Member
Hi Guys

How often do you weigh yourself? I am thinking of weighing myself once a month because I don't want to dishearten myself if I weigh in weekly and have not lost anything!

Replies

• janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hi Loopy, I think you might be doing the right thing!
    I have issues with the scales! Back 3 weeks and have not lost or gained! I was static, then gained then relost, and am at 0 loss, 0 gain again!
    Weighed once a week initially, then paranoia has set in and sees me weighing dail/ every couple of days! My scales are going in the bin...or I some cupboard in the garage, behind the car! Anywhere, where they are had to get out!
    Measurements and how your / my clothes are getting baggier much better signs of progress...hopefully!
  • squeezylou82
    squeezylou82 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've become obsessed with my weight. I'm on the scales nearly every day just willing the number to go down! It's not productive at all! The reality is I don't give a *kitten* what I weigh as long as my body becomes toned and strong but I look to the scales to tell me I'm on the right track. I think I'm actually not eating enough calories though so this might be why the scale isn't moving. I'd ideally like to weigh myself every month but it's a hard habit to break. Like you say it's disheartening to not see the number going down :-(
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself when I wake up and before I go to sleep, I find this a great help to keep me focused, I don't pay much attention to the variations (have seen myself drop and raise as much as about 6lbs in a day) I only count my weekly weigh-in day which is every Sunday. This might seem obsessive but it's just something I have got in the habit of doing and with losing 92lbs since January it is evidently working.
  • ProMooch
    ProMooch Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly first thing on a Saturday morning as I like to work on a weekly cycle and it also allows for a Saturday night treat if I feel like it, whilst staying stricter through the week.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself a few times during the day, but only when I'm at home which is about one night a week at the moment due to work. (I have even considered buying some travel scales!). As Smirnoff said, I find it helps keep me focused and reduces any temptation to binge. I know it's a contradiction, but it also stops me worrying about fluctuations, because I'm learning that my weight fluctuates by about 2lb in any day.
    I only record my weight once per week though; this way I can see the trend downwards.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself too often little fluctuations can upset your mojo. From an extra glass of water to wearing different clothes changes the result. If you are going to weigh yourself that often do it naked though it might get a few raised eyebrows in Boots.
  • londonlemming
    Options
    What smirnoff said.

I fast on alternate days so I'm used to the results going up and down but the trend is still pretty obvious and I get to celebrate new low weights all the time. If I only weighed weekly or monthly I'd be afraid I might take my eye off the ball.
  • eyley
    eyley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Weekly weigh ins for me (back to my girlfriends - using the same scale) every Saturday.

I weigh in when I'm in the gym during the week too - but I take my Saturday weigh in as my fixed point of comparison.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily so I can understand the impact of food, exercise and time of the month on my body weight. It's better to take a weekly average IMHO as that gives a more representative figure.

I only get upset by a fluctuation if I don't understand it. 9 times out of 10 there's an obvious reason.
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day too :ohwell: if I only weighed once a week, i'm sure I would gain, I need to see how good or bad I am doing xx
  • gemheath2010
    gemheath2010 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm weighing myself just once a month, I'm finding that how I feel about myself is linked to the scales and I find it hard to deal when I don't see the results that I want
  • mountydan
    mountydan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Once a week for me. First thing in the morning in the same place with the same scales.

If i don't lose for 3 weigh ins then i'll tweak things to get it shifting again.
  • carliaimac
    carliaimac Posts: 11
    Options
    I weigh daily, although I'm trying to stop. I only record my weight once a week tho.
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, naked after I've been to the loo. I do this so I can keep an eye on any slight gains. For example, 1 night last week I had a salty meal and the next morning I had "gained" 1lb - obviously this wasn't fat but water retention. So that day I made sure I drank more water than usual - next morning 1.2lbs off. I usually lose 0.2 of a lb per day.

4 years ago I lost 5 stone and have gained back 4 - I stopped weighing myself as often and the weight crept back on so now I make sure I'm aware of how my body reacts to certain food. Obsessive...yes! But it's something I *need* to do.
  • futureskinnibitch
    futureskinnibitch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Several times a day. I'm a bit obsessed. :embarassed:
  • AfriDiva
    AfriDiva Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I made a promise to myself when i joined that if i got too obsessed with the scales that i would throw them out and find another way. When i started i weighed in every two weeks. Now that i'm doing a xmas challenge i do it once a week. wouldn't do it anymore than that.
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but only have one official weigh in per week which I record. I like seeing what effect the previous days food and / or activity has had. Eg I had an indian takeaway tonight for tea, still within my cals for the day but will likely show at least a 2lb gain in the morning.
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys

How often do you weigh yourself? I am thinking of weighing myself once a month because I don't want to dishearten myself if I weigh in weekly and have not lost anything!

I do daily - but trend the weekly average - IMHO, day to day fluctuations can be so random that any SINGLE reading (a week aprt, a month apart whatever . . .) can be +/- way more than a weekly targetted drop. Especially at lower Body Fat levels and slower loss rates.