Hair Coloring

Options
kglowins
kglowins Posts: 111 Member
Has anyone that has dyed their hair after surgery noticed an increase in hair loss? I'm just curious if it'll make it worse.

Replies

• kellysuemclean
    kellysuemclean Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is unfortunately a common occurrence after WLS. Keep getting your protein and keep taking your vitamins. I have not had this happen yet, but from what I have heard from others, the hair loss will eventually stop.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am 9 months out from surgery. My hair loss started about 4 months out and just started to slow at about 7 months out. I lost A LOT of hair and I also colored it the entire time. The color didn't make it worse. My hair lady noticed the thinning and there was a lot of breakage too.

Focus on hydration and protein and hopefully yours will not be as bad as mine.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 3 years out and my hair loss started about 4 months after surgery. My doctor said it was because at 3 months I was in Alaska for 2 weeks on vacation and quite litterally forgot to eat most days, so didn't get near enough protein or water. They suggested Biotin and that really helped slow it down and my hairdresser started seeing a lot of regrowth after a few months. It's almost back to normal thickness for me now and yes I still take the Biotin. I've also heard really good things about a product called Hair, Skin and Nails.

I also color. The thinner my face gets, the worse the darker natural color looks on me. When I was this size before I was a natural blond, so I've been hiighlighting and coloring for the last couple of years. And as I said, I've got a good regrowth going, so I don't think the coloring is hurting. I will tell you though that since I've let it grow out from a short, let it air dry style to chin length, have to blow it out to get any fullness in it, I am starting to see more in the sink although it doesn't look or feel any thinner. Acording to my hairdresser, I might be losing a little more with the blowdrying, MIGHT, but not a lot more. It's just more visable now in the sink because it's longer.
  • kglowins
    Options
    I am at the three month mark and have started to notice some hair loss. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse. I haven't highlighted my hair in about two months. I'm just wondering if I go and have it done if my loss will increase. I take all of my vitamins everyday and get in plenty of protein. The only area that I am lacking in would be hydration. I'm usually at about 34 ounces of water each day.
  • suzee279
    suzee279 Posts: 58
    Options
    I am 18 months out and color on a regular basis. Like most, I did experience alot of hair loss, (not sure when it started) but I cut my hair to shoulder length (it was at my waist) and have had regrowth at a regular pace. Fortunately most of the hair loss was underneath and around my hair line, so it wasnt really obvious. My new growth is growing in curly, which is strange, because I have always had poker straight hair, so now I have wierd lengths and frizziness to deal with. Coloring did not affect it at all. Everything is a process. I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Susan
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was worried about that too, but turns out it wasn't a big deal. For Me. I'm 10 months out and have had it colored twice since surgery. Neither I or my stylist has noticed any appreciable hair loss, though I've always shedded like crazy in the summer due to more hair washing, wind from the motorcycle and the stress of wearing my hair in a pony tail a lot.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Whether coloring your hair will damage it badly depends on what hair color treatment you are doing. Bleaching your hair will always weaken it. Good quality hair color should not contain ammonia, and should only deposit color (not leach anything from the hair). The longer your hair is and the more you style it, the more you will lose. If you keep your hair shorter and darker, you will do better when it comes to hair loss, and hair loss will be less apparent. A good stylist should be able to advise you properly!
  • lucyw70
    lucyw70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have my hair colored every 8 weeks. I am only 2 months out and 40 pounds lost. I have noticed a little hair loss so far but not too much. I am concerned about the 3 and 4 month marks because that is when everyone seems to notice it the most. I have been trying to keep up with getting my protein and fluids in but do not always hit the mark on a regular basis. One product I try to use regularly is Isopure zero 40 grams of protein and counts as fluid.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I really stress adding either Biotin or Hair, Skin and Nails (yes that's what it's called) to your daily suppliments. The Biotin worked great for me and I've heard really good things about the Hair, Skin and Nails. Add this before you start seeing a lot of hair loss. Truth is you will still get some loss, but these products really help support the hair nutritionally and you will most likely lose less hair if you start it prio to surgery or right after.
  • kglowins
    Options
    Ok, so I went yesterday and had my hair done. My new profile pic reflects the new 'do. :) I did two things differently this time around (not sure if it makes a difference, but I did them anyway). 1. My hair stylist used a dye that wasn't as harsh as the one we normally use and 2. I did a deep conditioning treatment (love how my hair feels now and supposedly it helps put protein back into your hair so it won't break as easily). Pawoodhull, I use the hair, skin, and nails. It's biotin and it's made by Nature's Bounty. I love it!
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had my hair highlighted a few months after surgery, I have lost some hair but really focus on getting all my protein in.
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Love the hair by the way!
  • lucyw70
    lucyw70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hair looks great! I also get a deep conditioning every time I color my hair. My hair dresser is wonderful and usually throws it in no charge! :smile:
  • kglowins
    Options
    Thank you! :)