• FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My first total was done on 5/17/2014

Back Squat: 235
    Sh. press : 135
    Deadlift : 305

total : 675

we retest either tomorrow or Friday for our box challenge... :)
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I've done it, not this year:

Back Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 385
    Shoulder Press: 195
    Total: 985

Stupid deadlift, I'm stuck mentally. I can do 385 no problem, the moment I place a 2.5lb plate on either side, it's as if the barbell got bolted to the ground.
  • FWMagicMike
    Options
    My first total was done on 5/17/2014

Back Squat: 235
    Sh. press : 135
    Deadlift : 305

total : 675

we retest either tomorrow or Friday for our box challenge... :)

todays numbers
    Back Squat: 240
    Sh. press : 135 again.. no PR
    Deadlift : 335 yeah buddy

total : 710 :)
  • FWMagicMike
    Options

Stupid deadlift, I'm stuck mentally. I can do 385 no problem, the moment I place a 2.5lb plate on either side, it's as if the barbell got bolted to the ground.

do you do reverse grip or grip it the same way?
  • SGM_Adonis
    Options

Mixed grip sir.
  • FWMagicMike
    Options

Mixed grip sir.

you guys that do mixed grip, to me, are freaking awesome... HAHA.. isn't that weird? I cannot get comfortable in that grip. I am sure you do this, but do you chalk up and make sure your thumbs are wrapped good? I just learned too that not just the grip, but if you drive your heels into the ground, you can increase your weight just by that alone. You may already be doing that. How about tensing your whole body? I find that helps too.
  • SGM_Adonis
    Options

Mixed grip sir.

you guys that do mixed grip, to me, are freaking awesome... HAHA.. isn't that weird? I cannot get comfortable in that grip. I am sure you do this, but do you chalk up and make sure your thumbs are wrapped good? I just learned too that not just the grip, but if you drive your heels into the ground, you can increase your weight just by that alone. You may already be doing that. How about tensing your whole body? I find that helps too.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on to tweak my deadlift. I won't profess to be an expert, far from it....I actually started doing deadlifts at same time I started doing Crossfit this past November.

But yes, I do tense my body, I do chalk up....I"ll have to look at my thumb placement as I'm not able to envision it right now.

One thing that I discovered last week was the use of a belt. I tried one for a WOD I did where I was working with 315lbs and the use of the belt made a huge difference.

PS- You say you're impressed (implied that you were impressed) by those of us using a mixed grip. Actually sir, it's me that's impressed by those that don't. I can't imagine doing a DL over 285lbs without use of mixed grip. I don't have the grip strength for it.
  • FWMagicMike
    Options

Mixed grip sir.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on to tweak my deadlift. I won't profess to be an expert, far from it....I actually started doing deadlifts at same time I started doing Crossfit this past November.

But yes, I do tense my body, I do chalk up....I"ll have to look at my thumb placement as I'm not able to envision it right now.

One thing that I discovered last week was the use of a belt. I tried one for a WOD I did where I was working with 315lbs and the use of the belt made a huge difference.

PS- You say you're impressed (implied that you were impressed) by those of us using a mixed grip. Actually sir, it's me that's impressed by those that don't. I can't imagine doing a DL over 285lbs without use of mixed grip. I don't have the grip strength for it.

Well thank you sir :) see how we have our views on things, that is awesome!

This article may be cool for you. Check out the links with it as well and good luck on your PRs

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
  • SGM_Adonis
    Options
    Well thank you sir :) see how we have our views on things, that is awesome!

This article may be cool for you. Check out the links with it as well and good luck on your PRs

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

[/quote]

Ha!! Now you're trying to make me feel good. I just want to get past this current PR. Frustrating to not be able to pass it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Mixed grip sir.

Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength. Reading the deadlift chapter for 10 minutes added about 20 lbs to my lift just from technique improvements

I tend to do overhand grip if I'm doing reps. Heard too many stories about bicep tears to use it for reps. for a 1RM, where I make certain my elbows are locked out, maybe.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Did my first Crossfit Total yesterday 6/16/14. I've been doing Crossfit for 4 months but lifting for about a year:

Squat: 155
    Press: 60
    DL: 195
    Total: 410

We will be retesting in 6-7 weeks.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Hmm...Thank Goodness we use Wodify, otherwise I'd never remember any of this lol

Deadlift 317.5
    Push Press 115

Total 432.5

Never did my 1RM on Back squat, but here are some others:
    Snatch 85
    C&J 110
    Front Squat 125
    OHS 105

deadlift envy:tongue:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Accidental post :)
  • amy_elise1
    amy_elise1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello! New to this group. I've only been Crossfitting for 4 months now. So hopefully this will improve loads next time I do it.

Squat: 140
    Press: 60
    Deadlift: 170

Total= 370