Gluten Free or Yeast Free?

Options
ptsbrown
ptsbrown Posts: 4 Member
Earlier this year I went gluten and dairy free to see if it would benefit my health. I felt better and my skin problems cleared up. I still was having occasional trouble with bloating. I went to a new doctor and had the LEAP test done which showed I had no issues with gluten, but had a very high reactivity to yeast and moderate reactivity to dairy and soy. Makes sense. Most items with gluten and/or dairy have some sort of yeast and/or soy. Still can't eat the yummy stuff and I was surprised to see how many things have yeast/soy in them that you would not expect (e.g., BBQ potato chips). So bottom line I can't eat anything! No really I can eat stuff, but most all processed food is out! Anyone else have similar issue?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Earlier this year I went gluten and dairy free to see if it would benefit my health. I felt better and my skin problems cleared up. I still was having occasional trouble with bloating. I went to a new doctor and had the LEAP test done which showed I had no issues with gluten, but had a very high reactivity to yeast and moderate reactivity to dairy and soy. Makes sense. Most items with gluten and/or dairy have some sort of yeast and/or soy. Still can't eat the yummy stuff and I was surprised to see how many things have yeast/soy in them that you would not expect (e.g., BBQ potato chips). So bottom line I can't eat anything! No really I can eat stuff, but most all processed food is out! Anyone else have similar issue?

You might want to check out FODMAP as well - just google and go to a reputable medical site like Mayo clinic, Stanford Uni, etc. Lots of times sensitivities to these particular kinds of sugars show up and masquerade as Gluten sensitivity.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten, egg, soya, dairy, mustard and sunflower free and finding package stuff can be difficult. Still looking for crisps that i can eat.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I'm gluten, egg, soya, dairy, mustard and sunflower free and finding package stuff can be difficult. Still looking for crisps that i can eat.

Lots of crisps/potato chips here you could eat....maybe consider a move to Canada, heheheh. :wink: My fave is salt & vinegar Old Dutch Chips.
    Do turnips, rutabaga, cabbage, Brussels sprouts bother you as well, since they are related to mustard? Also canola or 'rapeseed' oil, a related plant used pretty often in frying the chips?
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

Lots of crisps/potato chips here you could eat....maybe consider a move to Canada, heheheh. :wink: My fave is salt & vinegar Old Dutch Chips.
    Do turnips, rutabaga, cabbage, Brussels sprouts bother you as well, since they are related to mustard? Also canola or 'rapeseed' oil, a related plant used pretty often in frying the chips?

Ooh thats tempting - all crisps here are cooked in sunflower oil although rapeseed is becoming more common. Must admit I'm looking to do midwifery and once the kids have grown thinking of emigrating and canada is in the top 3 choices.
  • thekitchenrevolution
    Options
    Hi there, I have Celiac Disease as well as a moderate dairy intolerance. I also have a severe yeast allergy and cashews make me bloat.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Hi thekitchenrevolution! What kinds of things do you like to eat? Do other nuts bother you too or just cashews since they are really a seed of a fruit...
    "Cashew nuts are actually the kidney-shaped seeds that adhere to the bottom of the cashew apple, the fruit of the cashew tree, which is native to the coastal areas of northeastern Brazil."