Conventions?

Options
I went to Emerald City Comic Con (Seattle) earlier this year, and it was a great experience. I'm curious what other conventions other people have gone to, and what other cons they might be planning to go to, especially if they're in Oregon or Washington.

\\//

Replies

• UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I am a huge lover of cosplay and conventions. My profile pic is a comparison between a convention I went to 11/2013 and from 7/2014 :) Thus far I stick to the midwest. I do CONvergence here in the Twin Cities every 4th of July weekend, and attended the first year of our very own Twin Cities Doctor Who convention in May, CONsole Room. I also travel to Chicago over Thanksgiving for Chicago TARDIS.

I also did Wizard World when it came to Minneapolis this year, although as a corporate convention it was a completely different animal than my usual lovely fan run convention. I may do it again if they have a big name guest that I want to meet. I went this last time because they had Matt Smith. Waaaay too overpriced, and yet I did it anyways, so I could cross a Doctor off my list (running total of living Doctors UmmS has been photographed with - 4 down, 5 to go).

One thing I love about locally run Minnesota conventions is that you have to have a consuite, ie free food for attendees. I was surprised when I went to Chicago and they didn't feed me!

I've admired Emerald City Comic Con from afar, but will probably never make it. My travel convention wishlist is:

1. DragonCon. At some point, I will go there. I will rock awesome costumes. I will be in the parade. This is the supreme fan convention.

2. San Diego Comic Con. I have a friend in San Diego, so that will help to keep the hotel costs down. You have to go to SDCC at some point in your life.

3. Gallifrey One - premiere Doctor Who convention in the US

4. Celebration - the official Star Wars convention. Happens every few year, next one is in 2015, although I sadly don't think I'll be able to swing it financially.

5. Creation Entertainment's Supernatural Convention - a corporate con, but it's coming to Minneapolis next year so I'll save the travel costs. Need to get my picture with my boys :)

Not sure if you're the target audience for this, but http://www.geekgirlcon.com/ is in October in Seattle.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Lost my funk for costuming and conventions this year at the minute.

I usually go to a couple over here in the UK and this year will hopefully attend Games Workshops Games Day although it isn't known as that anymore and the MCM events in London and Birmingham. Maybe the games expo as well but I think it will be down to if I can spare the time to do so.

I would like to go to one in the USA though just to see what it was like as they seem so much more organised and less about cramming people in unlike here :(
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I went to Emerald City Comic Con (Seattle) earlier this year, and it was a great experience. I'm curious what other conventions other people have gone to, and what other cons they might be planning to go to, especially if they're in Oregon or Washington.

\\//
    I have been going to Emerald City Comic Con for the past 4 years. Tons of fun and has been getting wildly popular quite recently. I believe this year it sold out for the first time since they began. Before you could always buy tickets at the door but not this year. I used to go to Sakura-con, anime related con in the Seattle area but haven't gone back in a few years. I also have given thought to attending Rose City comic-con in Portland, OR. I have family that lives in the area so it helps keeping the costs down.
    Lost my funk for costuming and conventions this year at the minute.

I usually go to a couple over here in the UK and this year will hopefully attend Games Workshops Games Day although it isn't known as that anymore and the MCM events in London and Birmingham. Maybe the games expo as well but I think it will be down to if I can spare the time to do so.

I would like to go to one in the USA though just to see what it was like as they seem so much more organised and less about cramming people in unlike here :(

The other one I go to is San Diego. I went to it just a few days ago. Very crowded. Tons of people. Frankly, if it wasn't for friends that live down in San Diego that I visit and help in saving money for a hotel since I stay with them, I probably would have stopped trying to go to it years ago. It's tons of fun, but the crowds and long lines for, well, everything make it's a huge headache.
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    DragonCon! Of course, it's nowhere near Washington, but I travel pretty far for it. Last year was my first year, and I'm going again this year. Can't imagine not making it a regular thing. The only other convention I've ever been to was Anime Expo in Los Angeles. It was fun, but I wasn't really into any of the panels that they had since I'm not the biggest anime fan, but it was definitely fun for some cosplay.
  • thegreatcc1
    Options
    I usually go to Comic Con in New York. This year the tickets sold out super fast so I doubt I'm going>.>...
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I love me some Dragon*Con (partly because I live a half an hour away). I've been going every year for the last 6 years. Already have my tickets and costumes for this year. Well, mostly. I still need to put together the pieces for the out-of-work STAR agent costume some friends and I are doing this year. The parade's always a blast and the costumes are unreal. I think the highlight of my costuming at D*C has to be either finding my Jayne Cobb costume on the main page of the Geeks are Sexy site or having a restaurant near the con hotels offer me free drinks to sit at their bar in my Blackbeard costume (I was on my way to the Dr. Horrible Sing Along Sing Along, so I had to decline, unfortunately, but it still made me happy).
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    The other one I go to is San Diego. I went to it just a few days ago. Very crowded. Tons of people. Frankly, if it wasn't for friends that live down in San Diego that I visit and help in saving money for a hotel since I stay with them, I probably would have stopped trying to go to it years ago. It's tons of fun, but the crowds and long lines for, well, everything make it's a huge headache.

Yay for intercontinental disorganised events :D
    I decided not to go to the one right on my doorstep this year in Manchester and was quite glad as people were standing in the rain for three hours before they even got in.

I do need to decide what my next big project is going to be for 2015 - I think I might attempt a Resident Evil future cosplay with some armour/weapon combo, twinkly lights, the usual cosplay stuff - that said, I need to finish off my Umbrella Chris Redfield as well really as I was never happy with the combats I bought for it so might work on those as well. Either way hopefully a bit more of a progress post on my Adeptus Custodes this weekend.
  • Winnychan
    Winnychan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like going to conventions but I typically stick to the ones in Ohio. Not by preference, but I tend to use up all my vacation days, you know, going on vacations. The Ohio cons I've been known to attend are Ohayocon, Origins, Anime Punch, Wizard World Ohio Comic Con, and CORGS-Con (Columbus Ohio Retro Gaming Society). I used to attend MARCON (Multiple Alternate Realities Convention) faithfully back in the day, but lately it's all about the room parties more than the actual con itself.

I've always felt too self-conscious to participate much in cosplay due to my weight. However I am in awe of well-done cosplay, and I hope that someday I can improve my self image enough to give it a proper shot!
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I've got two conventions coming up in the next two months: Daycon in Clarksville next month, and GMX in Nashville in October. Never been to Daycon, but it looks like it's just a small-er local gathering. I've been to GMX twice so far, and the big anime convention here, MTAC, once - all times as New Hope!Princess Leia.

Now that I've finally lost most of the weight, I'm braving the crowds as slave!Leia in the metal bikini (over-done, I know, but it's always been a dream :glasses:).

@Winnychan: I hope you can too! There is nothing like sashaying down the halls of a convention, dressed as a favorite character. I know I personally don't look at someone's weight in costume, I tend to go by whether they're enjoying it or acting in character. We all have our flaws and imperfections! (I'm totally going to rock my stretch marks in the metal bikini)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I went to New York Comic Con last year but I don't think I will go again. It just wasn't that much fun to stand in line pretty much all day just to see something on a screen once you got in the hall because you were sitting too far from the stage anyway... Ok I got an autograph from John Barrowman, so that was worth it, but still, unless someone I really like will go there and sign... I'll pass.
  • constellation709
    constellation709 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hear you about not quite being worth it, but I went with my friends, we saw some cool stuff, I got The Oatmeal's autograph, we ate out a bunch. Yeah, there are worse ways to spend a weekend :) not sure I'd travel cross-country for it, though.