Introduce Yourself!

Options
kwiatrtdy
kwiatrtdy Posts: 383 Member
Hi

Thought I would introduce myself. I'm 23 and live in the South West, UK. I set up this group to find other childfree by choice people who are also trying to get fit.

Replies

• DenaC3
    DenaC3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I'm 37 and enjoy being child free. Some think it's selfish, but I see it otherwise. I think it's nice that there are some of us bucking the system regarding having children. We shouldn't have to "get married and have kids" to feel like we've done something with our lives. I adore my niece and nephew, but am really happy when I'm able to send them back to my brother lol
  • kwiatrtdy
    Options
    Hi!

I agree, I think that there's more to life than just having kids like everyone else. :D
  • DenaC3
    DenaC3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!

I read an article not long ago that was talking about married couples choosing to not have children and a lot of the comments on the article were fussing about them being "selfish". Some people aren't meant to have children or have never had a desire to have them. I for one, can't due to PCOS, but I never really wanted children to start with, even in my teenage years/early 20's. So I see no reason to change it now. I absolutely enjoy being able to just pick up and go and not have to worry about anything but making sure the dog has food and water before I leave. He's as close to a child as I'll ever have.

And...I don't think God gave me the patience to raise a child. haha
  • bookfoxx1987
    bookfoxx1987 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest - I wasn't expecting to find a group. Awesome! :-)

Name's Amanda, I'm 26, and childfree. For the most part, people are pretty respectful of my decision - I also have a few like-minded friends so that helps. I still get the occasional condescending "You'll change your mind someday." It's not even that I don't like kiuds, I've just never really wanted to. Spending 24/7 with one would drive me nuts. I put a lot of value in my free time, in my independence and my overall career. Having a child would get in the way of all that.

So yeah, maybe I am "selfish" but at least I'm honest with myself. And supposing I ever do change my mind, I can always look into adoption or fostering. There are plenty of other kids out there who could use homes. I don't need to add my own spawn into the mix.

Nice to meet you all!
  • kwiatrtdy
    Options
    It's nice to meet you too. I set this group up because I saw loads of "mum's getting fit" groups and it seemed silly that we didn't have one ourselves. :laugh: I myself am a foster/adoptive parent to 4 illegitimate small furry rodents, and I wouldn't have it any other way!! Sometimes I question whether they are the selfish one's. Especially when I look at one of my high school friends who now lives in a council house with her boyfriend (who for some reason has no teeth and proposes one week then splits up with her the next) and her 3 children (2 different fathers), who has only had one job in her life and gave it up after 3 weeks because she wanted to stay at home and claim benefits instead. *rant over*
  • bookfoxx1987
    bookfoxx1987 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Kwiatrdy - she sounds like a real charmer. :-/

Yeah, that's pretty cool that you started this. I see a lot of mommy fitness groups as well. Makes for a nice change. :-)

So what is everyone doing to be fit and fabulous? My big thing is trying to eat right (following a low carb diet right now) as well as trying to get in regular exercise (haven't been doing as well the last few weeks because everything is happening right now).
  • kwiatrtdy
    Options
    I've been doing the same, trying to eat better and workout more. I had started running but that sort of died a death during the summer holidays because were a lot of people out and about and I felt like an idiot wobbling along the tarmac past people :blushing: I'm keeping it confined to my flat with Jillian Michaels and Shaun T. :laugh: