Starting purée phase today

Options
I Start the purée phase today and looking for ideas and what everyone liked to eat. I plan on making most of my food so I can control what goes in it. I'm exited to have more than protein shakes, jello and broth.

Anyone try adding unflavored protein to any of their foods? I bought some and haven't figured out the right way to use it....it just clumps!

Dumb question too....my manual says that I can eat cottage cheese now. Does that need puréed too or can I eat it straight from the container?

Replies

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I HATED that stage. UGH. Do not envy you at all!! Try this website--- it is a blogger who has all kinds of recipes and info and such-- she has a whole section of the site dedicated to pureed food recipes. http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Cheers!!
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The only way I survived this phase was turkey chili ... Message me if you want the recipe.

You can eat cottage cheese...just chew well and wait inbetween bites.

Make sure you don't take that one bite too many....it is miserable!!!
  • clcesari
    clcesari Posts: 56
    Options
    Surgery twin! How are you on puree already? I still have 5 days!
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    to answer the question about unflavored protein powder and clumping, when I was on pureed foods, I added it to lots of things, but I first mixed the powder with some warm (not hot) water, to make a paste or a slurry, then added it to whatever I was putting it in, like mashed potatoes, refried beans, pureed meat, etc. Hope that helps.
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Surgery twin! How are you on puree already? I still have 5 days!

I have no idea. My manual had me on bariatric clears for 2 days, liquid for 7 and them purée for three weeks. I hope I read it right and I'm not doing something wrong!
  • sarahViolet1977
    Options
    I HATED that stage. UGH. Do not envy you at all!! Try this website--- it is a blogger who has all kinds of recipes and info and such-- she has a whole section of the site dedicated to pureed food recipes. http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Cheers!!

Thanks for the site! Checking it out now
  • sarahViolet1977
    Options
    to answer the question about unflavored protein powder and clumping, when I was on pureed foods, I added it to lots of things, but I first mixed the powder with some warm (not hot) water, to make a paste or a slurry, then added it to whatever I was putting it in, like mashed potatoes, refried beans, pureed meat, etc. Hope that helps.

I will have to try that. So far anything I've put it in has turned into a clumpy mess
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I Start the purée phase today and looking for ideas and what everyone liked to eat. I plan on making most of my food so I can control what goes in it. I'm exited to have more than protein shakes, jello and broth.

Anyone try adding unflavored protein to any of their foods? I bought some and haven't figured out the right way to use it....it just clumps!

Dumb question too....my manual says that I can eat cottage cheese now. Does that need puréed too or can I eat it straight from the container?

Chew the cottage cheese well. What ever you do measure out a half a cup of food and eat it really slowly. When you get near half go even slower. If you start belching or hiccuping you are probably done. I used to whiz all the healthy choice soups then I moved on to whizzing Chinese stir fry meat and veg, moo goo gai pan was my fave. Make sure you don't use any of the fried, sweet or noodle based dishes. The sugar or carb level will likely give you very unpleasant dumping effect. I stuck to egg beaters, cottage cheese and Kroger carbmaster milk and pure protein 30 g shakes for protein. I only ended up using part of an Unjury plain protein packet. Try Gordon Ramsey's soft butter scrambled eggs, so amazing i ate those every day. More like custard than regular scrambled eggs
  • lucyw70
    lucyw70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use Unjury unflavored protein and you can mix it with food as long as the temperature of the food is under 140 degrees. I mix it with my coffee in the morning after it has cooled down. I ordered a sample pack and they sent a food thermometer with it. My nutritionist also suggested keeping some with me in a salt shaker and shake a little bit onto foods. This was a good way to get extra protein throughout the day.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

Light and fit Greek yogurt is really tasty and would probably hide some protein powder. Already has 9 g in a half cup. Kroger carbmaster vanilla skim has 11g of protein and makes a great latte
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I pureed fat free refried beans and a little chicken broth. I added the Unjury unflavored protein to every thing I made (has to be under 140 degrees) I now have a scoop of chocolate protein powder in my decaf coffee every morning! Good luck!:smile:
  • sarahViolet1977
    Options
    I use Unjury unflavored protein and you can mix it with food as long as the temperature of the food is under 140 degrees. I mix it with my coffee in the morning after it has cooled down. I ordered a sample pack and they sent a food thermometer with it. My nutritionist also suggested keeping some with me in a salt shaker and shake a little bit onto foods. This was a good way to get extra protein throughout the day.

Where did you get the sample pack? I haven't seen this brand in the stores. Great tip about the salt shaker!
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    During the pureed stage, I lived on cottage cheese, refried beans with a little cheese melted on them (stir in a little sour cream for a smoother consistency), pureed soups and tuna salad.

Just be sure you aren't eating more then 1/2 cup at a time. You may find you can't eat much more then 1/4 cup.

You can try scrambled egg, but it may or may not agree with you right now. Several people have problems with eggs early out but later can tolerate them.
  • wendyp1000
    Options
    At the beginning of week 3, I made a mistake of eating a hard boiled egg. I chewed it well, but boy, did it sit there for a full 1-2 hours.

A few days later, I made egg salad (small pieces) with plenty of light mayo but it was only marginally better.

I've decided to wait another few weeks before coming back to egg-land...

(Surgery July 9, 2014)