Can't seem to get an answer on other forums

Options
JulieAnneFIU
JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
I posted this in the em2wl and didn't get a reply and I'm looking for opinions. I would like to note I bought a fitbit one tonight so I can motivate me to move my feet 10,000 times a day. Knowing that SL is about to get really hard and understanding my hiit sessions might drop down (or out) depending on how I feel I am hoping at least walking will help with my activity level because I am HUNGRY. Like I could gnaw on my husbands arm hungry. I know it's the working out but my hope is that the fb gives me a tdee so I can figure out my cut properly and eat more (fingers crossed - around 1600 now) That being said, this is what I posted so I can have a number to work off of to get this rolling

I hate even asking this because I read page after page in these forums but I want to eat.. I initially lost 8lbs eating at 1200 and then found this place, ate at what I thought was maintenance (1900) to do a reset and gained 10lbs. Since then I've switched up both my eating and fitness regimen so I have no math to work off of to use any spreadsheets. I was taking 10k steps a day but as a stay at home mom it's a fairly hard thing to do unless I can get on the dreadmill or manage to get outside. What I want to know is what I should consider myself as I stronglift three days a week (started last week) and hiit for about twenty minutes three days a week (been doing this for months) but otherwise sit on my *kitten* (unless said *kitten* gets off couch with my newly purchased fitbit) Lightly active? Active? Super new to SL so right now it feels easy, not feeling the burn and you know it's hard to get the hiit cal burn nailed down properly. I'm just planning on wearing the fitbit without logging SL or hiit as they are likely negligible but until it arrives I want to see what you think scooby's calc would see me as. Thanks in advance.

I'm 5'5, 37 years old, weigh 132 and guesstimated my bf% at 25% based on tape measures and websites. Don't care about losing weight as long as I lose this stomach. My goal is to be able to jump up and down without all my parts jiggling.

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    hiya

try this: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

remember to change your gender to female!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Check out health-calc.com, though from your description, the numbers will probably generate close to a general "moderately active."

One thing I do like about Scooby is the calculator asks you for workout hours instead of workout sessions. So SL takes around an hour (including rest times), plus the hour you get from HIIT would put you in the 3-5hours camp, plus if you're a mom, you probably are off your *kitten* more than you think because, hey, kids!

Try eating at the recommended level for moderate and if you gain more than an initial 2-5lbs water weight, cut back 100 calories and repeat experiment. Nothing online knows YOU, so until the fitbit comes, you can experiment a bit.

While lifting, I feel women should eat as close as possible to their maintenance, because it can be physically taxing and binge-inducing if your caloric intake is too low. EM2WL often recommends TDEE -10%, which worked well for me over the spring.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    To be honest I find scooby estimates high.

IIFYM.com seems to be more accurate based on my own calculations.

Instead of using a site that estimates try this calculation.

Remember tho this only works if you are absolutely sure of your calorie intake...meaning you weight solids and measure liquids and log everything.

Total calories consumed +(pounds lost x 3500)/# days

Try to use 21-28 days worth of data. This is accurate to the point that it put my maitenance at 2100...I am currently eating 2000 and almost maintaining....losing obviously small amounts every week.

IIFYM puts my maitenance @ 2150 and scooby puts it at 2300....
  • JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My problem is that from when I started in January to about May I ate at 1200 and lost 8 pounds. I then read it was terrible for me and I was like "YAY FOOD!" and I jumped to tdee for what I assumed was my level (about 1900) and gained 10 pounds. I then went on vacation and just started getting back into watching my calories about three weeks ago and I'm losing MAYBE 1/2 pound a week (which is perfect) but I can't seem to nail a number down. I am vigilant with measurements. I'm going to raise my level up to active-ish and take my calories up by 100 at a time this time. It just sucks having two young boys and a husband that is forcing himself to eat 3000+ calories to gain weight. Those cookies call to me...
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    To be honest I find scooby estimates high.

IIFYM.com seems to be more accurate based on my own calculations.

Instead of using a site that estimates try this calculation.

Remember tho this only works if you are absolutely sure of your calorie intake...meaning you weight solids and measure liquids and log everything.

Total calories consumed +(pounds lost x 3500)/# days

Try to use 21-28 days worth of data. This is accurate to the point that it put my maitenance at 2100...I am currently eating 2000 and almost maintaining....losing obviously small amounts every week.

IIFYM puts my maitenance @ 2150 and scooby puts it at 2300....
    And IIFYM made me feel like I was starving at their recommended maintenance, so different strokes for different folks! :drinker:
    Your formula makes way more sense -- the only way we can know our true daily expenditure is by using long term, first hand data.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to have that formula handy. Thanks.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    hiya

try this: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

remember to change your gender to female!

Wow health-calc put my TDEE about 1k higher than other websites

When I averaged it out with 3 days intense and 4 days moderate, it came out to being 400 calories above what all other calculators have recommended.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind when you start lifting you WILL gain a decent chunk of water, and hold onto it for a long time. I would wait 4-8 before you even start to try to evaluate your TDEE.