Darn Skin Issues

Options
HMD7703
HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
I will admit, I never had great skin to begin with. My weight was up and down from the time I hit puberty. And yes, some loss were pretty major - leaving stretch marks and saggy skin well before my surgery. Fast fwd to surgery, I was 265 - up 100 from a SHORT few years earlier. After surgery. I quickly lost and 3 years out I am still holding at 160ish (up and down a few lbs). I recently had a baby and to my shock (and awe) my tummy bounced back pretty fast. BUT what did not bounce back... my thighs? Yeah, confusion sets in because it is a strange place to have saggy skin, right? I can't wear medium length shorts (and I am tall 5'9" so I am left with Capris only) because you can actually see wrinkles.. and Lord forbid I wear a swimsuit in public without shorts or a skirt.... I have thought about a tummy tuck (still have a small pouch of saggy skin) but now I am thinking thigh lift. Is that even a thing? Has anyone else experienced this?

On a lighter note, with my clothes on, I look super HOT! LoL :P
Can't win them all!

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me! I have "elephant legs" now, but jeans look FANTASTIC!. And I'm pretty sure you can have anything "lifted" that you care to!
  • HMD7703
    Options
    I am Googling thigh-lifts now. I am so tired of surgery (especially elective surgery). I worry about not coming out of surgery or complications. There is serious guilt associated with me having more surgery.

I can literally pull the skin up and see what a nice leg I have under there!!
    Yes, jeans make my thighs/bum area look like curvy goodness

:flowerforyou:
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Why can't you wear whatever you like? Who says the only "acceptable" thigh is one without sags or wrinkles??!! Try coloring outside the lines!!! :)<3

Edited to add.... congrats on maintaining your loss!! Sounds like you are doing great!!
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have saggy skin on my thighs, upper arms, upper back (bra fat???), as well as tummy. I don't like my tummy, but my arms and legs bother me way more than the rest. If I could only get one area done, I would definitely get either my arms or my legs done but preferably could do both. I would love to get tummy done too, but since that area is always covered by clothes (even swimsuits) it isn't that big of a deal.
    I see others use my rationale by saying "I look great with my clothes on!" lol
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! So much excess skin on the upper arms and thighs I won't go sleevless or even short sleeve and nothing shorter than capri or ankle length skirt. Even in pants or skirt, when I walk you can see it all move like a wave on the ocean! I find it horrible to look at, I'm not showing it off to anyone else.

Yes there is such a thing as a thigh lift, but it's most likely not covered by insurance and it's expensive. And like HMD7703, I too have a lot of guilt associated with the thought of having all this removed. It's the risk and the expense for me. We really can't afford it, but it's starting to cause clothing issues for me because my body is becoming disproportionate. Size 16 torso but size 20 upper arms and thighs. Eventually I may have to have it removed just to be able to buy clothes.

For now, I look great dressed!
  • HMD7703
    Options
    Pawoodhull - you brought up a good point; disproportionate body size. My upper arms still have skin that did not shrink and although I can wear a Medium in Juniors (WOAH right?) my arms won't fit properly. My tummy area is very small - maybe size 9 in Juniors or 6/8 in Ladies. My thighs, well those bad boys are still a size 16 LOL!! I am grateful that my calves shrunk because I can wear cute winter boots YAY!!

Thaeda - Well there is no rule but it is an insecurity for me. I feel my thighs rub together, I can see the skin flowing back/forth as I walk and there is just a general discomfort to it all (physical and mental).

SherriA - LOL yeah I love myself in clothes :flowerforyou: It makes me happy to be able to look cute in clothes. I can live without prancing around naked all the time.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    OMG I have soooo much excess skin. When I am naked I look like I am melting. When I am on the elliptical at the gym, I swear the loose skin on my arms must look like a blur, and I make sure my workout pants fit slightly on the snug side so that the loose skin on my thighs doesn't take off on it's own. I am very likely going to have my thighs, upper arms, and stomach done. I can cover up with clothes and look great, but it's getting to the point where it just isn't comfortable sometimes, and with more to lose, I know it could get worse.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You can see a surgeon about body contouring. They do thighs. A lot of people who have had WLS and lose a ton of weight end up having body contouring to deal with excess skin. They surgically remove excess skin and reshape you. Big areas are bat wings, belly and back aprons, and upper legs. Surgical consults are free, and they will tell you exactly what can be done. Sometimes, insurance will cover some or all of a plastic surgery if it is medically necessary. I have a friend whose insurance covered the belly apron surgery because she developed psoriasis below the the apron, and I have heard that batwing can be covered if you develop bad chafing or a skin condition. This is something that has to be well documented.