Cutting Calories?

Options
berrydana7
berrydana7 Posts: 78 Member
Hi! This is my first time going on a cut. I've bulked up enough to the point where i'm satisfied with my strength and the muscle. I'm hoping to maintain the strength level and muscle during the next few weeks. Many people reduce 500 calories from their maintenance when pursuing fat loss. I'm a bit hesitant to reduce 500 as i'll only be consuming calories in the 1500s and there'll be a possibility i'll lose muscle mass and strength :s Anyway, my maintenance calories is 2077 and I plan to cut at 1765 with 20% carbs, 40% protein and 40% fat. I'm 5ft 2, 18 female if that helps. Feedback would be appreciated :D

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    There isn't a "right" way to do it.

The only right way is one that works for you- in that it gets your results- and it doesn't make you crazy.

It's not the right answer if you get what you want- but you turn into McCrankyCranky pants and can't stand who you are.

So- dropping to 1700 is a perfectly reasonable solution- you may find you'll stall on loss at some point- but really that's normal- just drop calories again- or decide you don't want to eat that little.

You may find you want to do some extra cardio to help- also fine and normal.

I shoot for 1500 and while I'm not HAPPY about it- I'm not dying. So- just see where you get with 1700 and adjust if you don't start seeing results in 3-4 weeks.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm doing TDEE - 10% and losing 1/2 lb per week. Works for me and I'm not starving all the time....

......just some of the time. :wink:
  • berrydana7
    Options
    There isn't a "right" way to do it.

The only right way is one that works for you- in that it gets your results- and it doesn't make you crazy.

It's not the right answer if you get what you want- but you turn into McCrankyCranky pants and can't stand who you are.

So- dropping to 1700 is a perfectly reasonable solution- you may find you'll stall on loss at some point- but really that's normal- just drop calories again- or decide you don't want to eat that little.

You may find you want to do some extra cardio to help- also fine and normal.

I shoot for 1500 and while I'm not HAPPY about it- I'm not dying. So- just see where you get with 1700 and adjust if you don't start seeing results in 3-4 weeks.

thanks! I am happy with 1765 calories at the moment :) no immediate results as it's only been 3 days but i can still eat the food i enjoy at manageable portions. but if i ate 1500 will I lose muscle and strength in addition to body fat? that's my biggest fear!
  • berrydana7
    Options
    Personally I'm doing TDEE - 10% and losing 1/2 lb per week. Works for me and I'm not starving all the time....

......just some of the time. :wink:

congrats! that's amazing! :D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    thanks! I am happy with 1765 calories at the moment :) no immediate results as it's only been 3 days but i can still eat the food i enjoy at manageable portions. but if i ate 1500 will I lose muscle and strength in addition to body fat? that's my biggest fear!

If that's ALL you're eating- probably some. But it's not as drastic as you would think.

Stay with the 1750 ball park- don't sweat it- track your numbers- weekly if you can- I weigh daily so I know if it's going down generally as a trend line or not. If it's not going down- then you know it's not enough of a deficit. That's really all there is to it. I promise.
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    All good advice... just remember that studies have shown that people with a lower body fat percentage who begin to eat at a deficit can't cut as drastically without losing muscle, as people who are obese or with much higher body fat percentages. Consider this when choosing how many calories to cut. Happy cutting!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    All good advice... just remember that studies have shown that people with a lower body fat percentage who begin to eat at a deficit can't cut as drastically without losing muscle, as people who are obese or with much higher body fat percentages. Consider this when choosing how many calories to cut. Happy cutting!

I would looooove to read such studies! Do you have any links? I pretty much came to this conclusion. Plus there's the fact that I want to EAT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE and still lose weight. :wink:
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    SilentDrapeRunners Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that cites studies that indicate that it may be better to do a more aggressive cut as opposed to a slow one. So something to consider. Bottom line is that it's up to the individual and you should do what works best for you. Personally, I started my cut end of June, and I did it very gradually. I've definitely seen some loss....but I recently decided to be more aggressive because I don't really want to be in a deficit for that long (even if it's a small deficit), because I do think that being in a deficit for an extended period of time can potentially wreak havoc on your metabolism, muscle gains, etc. I don't really mind cutting (actually kind of prefer it), but I want to get back to bulking asap, because my overall goal is to build muscle.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/rapid-weight-loss/