1st Time Pregnancy - Baby come early or late??

Options
katebrog
katebrog Posts: 44 Member
Alright, so I'm 38w/1d and as of my appointment last week I had dilated 1cm. Going back today to see if there has been any progress. I was wondering if any mommies out there know if it's more common for first time mommies to deliver early or late? My goal is to keep working up until August 15th (my due date is the 18th), but I keep having a fear my water is going to break while I'm at work, or at the gym! I'm still working out pretty regularly in the mornings on the elliptical and also doing light upper body weight lifting before I go to work and feel good so I plan to keep at it until I get too uncomfortable or I guess go into labor?? I was just hoping to get some input from other mommies as to if you think the baby may come early or late? I would like to work up until the day I go into labor, so if I'm going to go a week late, I would like to work the week of my due date...but I don't know? I haven't really had many BH contractions, just a few here and there. I actually feel pretty good, slight back aches occasionally and left hip/groin is a big pain for me (but has been since around week 24), but other than that I feel pretty normal. Did most of you go into labor naturally with your first baby? Or did you have to be induced? I know every pregnancy is different, just wanted to hear some stories from other mommies!

Replies

• tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Short answer: too hard to say, every pregnancy is different.

It is more common for first time babies to go over due but not by much. I read an article on this subject once and I forget exactly, so I may be wrong, but I believe it said that, on average, first time babies come a day late.
    Also, your dilation really doesn't mean anything either. Women can be dilated to a 3 for 2 months before going into labor or they can be not dilated or thinned at all and go into labor minutes later. The only thing dilation means is that your body is getting ready. The only reliable sign that baby is coming soon is broken water.
    All through my pregnancy everyone kept telling me that the fear of my water breaking wasn't very realistic as only 6% (I think it was 6%) of women have their water break before going into labor. I went 5 days overdue with my first and every sign told me I was going to be overdue with my second. My doctor told me to not count on having baby by due date. My water broke 3 days before due date and he was 2 days early. Nobody can predict. Best you can do is to prepare yourself for anything and just go with it. It could be tomorrow it could be 2 weeks late. Just be prepared.
  • bigmamabird
    bigmamabird Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    With my first, I walked around dilated to 4 cm for over a week. She came exactly on her due date and hasn't been on time since.
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I can only pray mine is overdo/right on time. First baby. I am possibly leaving my job, which will cause my family to lose health care. My husbands plan won't kick in until December 1st and I'm due December 20th :indifferent:
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    With my first I was dilated a couple centimeters and having BH contractions (mild & not too bad) for about 2 weeks before I was induced at 39 weeks due to high blood pressure. With my 2nd I was having regular contractions (3-5 min apart for 12 hrs.) then they'd stop off and on for about 2-3 weeks before delivering on my due date. In fact when I had contractions that day I thought it was another false alarm and went to pick my sister up at the airport but they got 1 min apart and I got scared of having a baby at the airport so I sent my husband and went to the hospital. I was 4 cm with contractions lasting 30 sec and 1 min apart when I got to the hospital. A few hours later I was at 8 cm. When my water broke I thought I peed on myself. :blushing:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My first baby was 10 days late. My waters broke the evening of 9 days overdue and contractions started the next morning. I'm in England and they allow you about 48 hours after waters breaking before inducing you if you don't go into labour naturally. I'd had a sweep at a week overdue and my cervix was still closed.

My second was induced as she was 12 days late, and they don't allow you to go any more than 12 days overdue where I live. Even when I went to be induced and they put the pessary in my cervix was totally closed still!

My third was 11 days overdue, so I just avoided induction. At 8 days overdue I was 1-2cm dilated.

We don't get checked for dilation here until we have a sweep if we're overdue. Even with my induced baby, I wasn't checked until I was 8/9cm dilated. They don't like to do too many internals as it can lead to infection.

I think something like 5% of first babies come on their due date. In France, full term is at 41 weeks.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My first was 40 weeks 3 days. My second was 37 weeks 3 days.
    My water did not break with my first but did with my second, apparently when I was asleep. It was not like the show on the movies - I woke up and felt "wet" but didn't even have a puddle in the bed or anything (the sheets were not even wet). It kept leaking out then for awhile.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    My first came at 35 weeks, but I hear more first time pregnancies tend to be either on time or overdo.
  • katebrog
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! After seeing the doctor yesterday, I'm still at 1cm, but barely even that (according to a new doctor who checked me). He seemed to think the baby while come around my due date or a little later. One of the nurses mentioned that they could induce me anytime after I'm 39 weeks, if I wanted to be induced. I don't think I really want to do that, would rather my baby girl come when she's ready, which I definitely hope isn't much longer after her due date. I would be happy if she came on her due date or a few days before or after. As of now, I still feel pretty good, not too terribly uncomfortable...just anxious to meet our little girl!!
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! After seeing the doctor yesterday, I'm still at 1cm, but barely even that (according to a new doctor who checked me). He seemed to think the baby while come around my due date or a little later. One of the nurses mentioned that they could induce me anytime after I'm 39 weeks, if I wanted to be induced. I don't think I really want to do that, would rather my baby girl come when she's ready, which I definitely hope isn't much longer after her due date. I would be happy if she came on her due date or a few days before or after. As of now, I still feel pretty good, not too terribly uncomfortable...just anxious to meet our little girl!!

Why would they induce you so early? Here they won't induce until 12 days overdue, unless there's a medical reason. Due dates aren't an exact science. Early induction is more likely to lead to complications in labour/birth, and it also makes it more painful.
  • katebrog
    Options
    You know, I'm not sure why the nurse even made the comment to induce. Basically she said they could induce me at 39 weeks if I wanted them to (which surprised me because I thought inducing was only necessary if there was something wrong or if I go over 40 weeks). I guess she was implying if I was uncomfortable/tired of being pregnant (which I'm not yet!), they could safely induce me (the baby would be pretty much done growing/maturing at that point - lungs take the longest and they should be completely mature by 39 weeks). I heard that being induced is painful and I would never want to do that unless I was going on 41 weeks, or if there was a medical emergency.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    They'd never do that here. Even women suffering with spd don't get induced early.

I was induced with my 2nd as she was 12 days over. I had a pessary, so it wasn't as bad as a drip (so I've heard). It was a quick labour, just over 4 hours, but really intense. I did it on just gas and air though, and a tens machine.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I delivered at 41w3d. Was going to be induced the next day. I had no sign of labour until my water broke and I delivered 8 hours later. 2 days before I wasn't dialated and baby hadn't dropped yet. She was under 7 lbs so I'm glad I didn't do anything to try to start labour earlier like some people do.

I warned my friends that they might be late and not to stress about it but they delivered at 36-39 weeks. If they were early full term their next one was usually 1-2 weeks later.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was induced with my first at 41 weeks due to hbp. She did not seem to be in a hurry! lol
  • PhoenixRising7
    PhoenixRising7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    With my first, I was induced just shy of 42 weeks. She did not want to come out at all! She never even dropped down.

I ended up with a c-section due to multiple complications. Hoping to avoid that this time, and so far the doctors are optimistic.
  • mrsomeara
    mrsomeara Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the lucky few and had my 1st on his due date. Checked into the hospital at 7:30 AM (4cm), epidural at 10:45 AM (5cm), 1 hr and 25 minutes later I was fully dilated to 10cm! I thought for sure I'd be laboring until night time. I also convinced myself that he'd be really late. I thought of 42 weeks as being his DD. I guess you can say I hoped for the best but expected the worst ;-)

I was never checked at any of my appts. I didn't need the false hope and like others have said you can be dilated for a month.
  • kalyrra
    kalyrra Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I had my first at 37+5. I was dilated to a 2 or 3 already at my previous appointment 2 weeks prior, but as others have said: dilation just means your body is getting ready in general.

My water broke at 3 a.m. while I was sleeping. I woke up, and I felt wet... so I got up to go to the bathroom and started leaking all over. I thought I'd peed myself! I checked into the hospital around 6:30 a.m., and was still only at 3 cm around 8:30 a.m., so they put me on pitocin. (ugh! there's a good reason they call it crazy juice!) I had my son approximately 2 hrs later.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Some of these stories remind me of why people say it's best to wait at home until you can't take the pain anymore :smile: I remember the intensity of pitocin with my first and not being able to eat at the hospital except jello and broth throughout a day of labor (6am-1145pm) which made me miserable. With #1 I was so anxious for things to "get started" that even the slightest contractions would send me to the hospital. With #2 I was glad I waited at home where I could eat and relax. With #3 I plan to do the same thing.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Some of these stories remind me of why people say it's best to wait at home until you can't take the pain anymore :smile: I remember the intensity of pitocin with my first and not being able to eat at the hospital except jello and broth throughout a day of labor (6am-1145pm) which made me miserable. With #1 I was so anxious for things to "get started" that even the slightest contractions would send me to the hospital. With #2 I was glad I waited at home where I could eat and relax. With #3 I plan to do the same thing.

I arrived at hospital 10cm dilated with my first, it was definitely better being at home for most of it.

I was induced with my second so didn't have that option. I was 5cm when I arrived with my third, and only went in then because I went to the midwife lead unit which was a bit further away. If it had been closer I'd have waited at home for longer.

If you arrive at hospital only 3cm dilated here they sometimes send you home.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I was 2 cm when I showed up at the hospital. I cried when they tried to send me home because I couldn't imagine sitting back in the car because of my contractions. They let me stay in triage and we walked the halls for a few hours. The nurse on shift kept rolling her eyes and telling me it would get worse (it didn't). All Hell broke lose a few hours later when the nursing shift changed and I asked to be checked to see if I could have an epidural. They had to scramble to get me out of triage and into a room. I delivered 15 minutes later.

Part of me always finds it funny when people stress about the amenities of their L&D room. I've delivered 2 kids and was in each room 15 minutes or less before delivering.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    I was 2 cm when I showed up at the hospital. I cried when they tried to send me home because I couldn't imagine sitting back in the car because of my contractions. They let me stay in triage and we walked the halls for a few hours. The nurse on shift kept rolling her eyes and telling me it would get worse (it didn't). All Hell broke lose a few hours later when the nursing shift changed and I asked to be checked to see if I could have an epidural. They had to scramble to get me out of triage and into a room. I delivered 15 minutes later.

Part of me always finds it funny when people stress about the amenities of their L&D room. I've delivered 2 kids and was in each room 15 minutes or less before delivering.

Surely all you need is a bed and some gas and air. Oh, and a shower for after.

I think sometimes with first babies they expect you to be crawling on the floor in agony before they'll admit you! With my first they just put me in a ward and left me for a bit, while telling my mum I'd probably be sent home. When I was finally checked, we went quickly to the delivery room and I gave birth.