Tuesday Aug 5

Options
Happy day to all!

I have a question to pose.. a little gross but we're all over 50 so I think we'll all understand it. When you're dieting or at least cutting out parts of your food intake that used to be there, do you do anything special to regulate your insides? In other words how do you keep from becoming constipated? I have this problem occasionally but the hubby experiences it much more often than he'd like.

So what do you do if it's a problem? Special foods? OTC meds? Natural remedies?

Consider me anxious to hear your replies (if you dare). lol

Sandy

Replies

• djcangel
    djcangel Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    hey Sandy, I have struggled with this prob. for all my life, whether or not I am eating less. If I eat popcorn everyday, I do o.k. but it gets old. I take a stool softener at the first sign of trouble (if I miss one day). Other than that, since I am a naturalist, I do pears, prunes...fibrous veggies too. I hope that this helps, everyone is different so each to their own. Best of luck! dj
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate that this isn't a problem for me, quite the opposite; however, I eat tons of vegetables (always have). So, my suggestions are to increase those to several servings a day, if you don't already eat a lot. What about bran? Also yogurt helps some people. Oh, and water! My DH eats yogurt with his own homemade version of "holy crap" (this is a real cereal, with chia and hemp, etc., google it!) granola and fruit every morning. He says it keeps him full and I'm quite sure has other...ahem...benefits. I hope you find a solution!
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Had a problem a few weeks ago and took Metamucial. Then I upped my fiber intake. Haven't had a problem sense
  • LydiaZembower
    LydiaZembower Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Metamucil or the generic equivalent works wonder and you should take it at least once a day. It lowers your cholesterol, increases fiber, and of course helps with bowel movements.
    I gave it to my BFF and husband and it has also lowered their cholesterol levels and made bathroom time faster and easier.
    If taken before every meal, it may even help us loose weight.
    I am going to try this tomorrow and see how it goes. I like the orange flavor one myself.