August 6, 2014

Options
I am going to start this morning by saying NO parameters in this group. I am sorry I missed the last few days I have been immersed in the bariatric thing to the point of obsession as is my wont, while I learned all there is to know about it.

Replies

• julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Okay.. now I got August 6 started. I have made a definite decision having taken all things into account to have lap band surgery, I meet with the surgeon on August 18. It is NOT the easy way out, in fact the diet is stricter than before, but I do believe in my circumstances it will work for me.

Why wouldn't you or would you consider bariatric surgery? Have you ever considered it? No attacking please, just a discussion plus the usual chit chat of our days.
  • melissasue0317
    melissasue0317 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I went for the consultation visit and ultimately decided against it. I had already lost about 30lbs prior to my consult. Without secondary health issues, my insurance coverage was on a fine line for approval. I would have had to stop losing weight prior to surgery to be approved or "hope" to get a secondary health issue. Both these options were not ideal lol. The surgeon was also pushing the most invasive bypass and not the lap-band like I wanted to discuss.

So this was the first time that I have truly stuck with a new lifestyle and not yo-yo, I decided it was not for me at this time. If I continued to struggle without success then I would reconsider later in life. But at 30 years old and unsure if we were done having children, I opted not to go ahead with surgery but had to learn that I have to do this myself as best as I can.

A good friend of mine, chose lap-band and has been the best decision she has made. She is more motivated than ever and has done amazingly! For sure, not the easy way out. The new diet will be a huge change for you but once you decide this, you've got it! Also on the other hand, my husband's step-dad also had the lapband and lost about 115lbs but has gained it all back plus some because he did not follow protocal.

As for me, 73lbs gone in 10 months now. No matter the route, determination is key!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery 17 years ago. I lost 80 lbs and then slowly gained it all back. I am now about 50lbs less than my lowest after surgery.

I was fortunate in that I did not have a lot of side affects. Even today there are times I get nauseous and throw up for no good reason. It isn't necessarily a particular food or even how I ate. It seems to be that I am just more sensitive. Before surgery I never vomited.

My doctor actually suggested I consider revision surgery before I joined MFP. She said that what we know about bariatric surgery has changed significantly in the last 17 years and the success rates are higher. I looked into revision surgery and realized that complications were more likely the second time around. That is when I told her I wanted to try to lose weight with diet and exercise for a few months, and that if I hadn't made improvements in 3 to 6 months I would consider surgery. She recommended MFP and here I am 9 months later and 100+ lbs down.

Bariatric surgery is not the easy way out. You still have to follow a strict diet and you still need to exercise. What it does allow is easier portion control as if you eat too much you will become ill. Even with that built in portion control I am living proof that you can still eat a lot of calorie dense foods and put the weight back on. For lifetime success the diet and lifestyle changes are still necessary.

Julie - good luck with your surgery.
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I hadn't considered bariatric surgery yet. I'm only 28 and my highest weight that I know of was 244lbs. However, I could see myself thinking about it if I were to gain more weight, but I don't know if I'd be able to hack it. Anyone who thinks that surgery is the easy way out has no clue what they're talking about. I think it's a very brave, difficult choice that requires a lot of dedication.

Prior to April, I was feeling resigned to never losing weight and fairly sure I would just keep gaining. Thankfully, getting treated for depression changed that, so hopefully I won't get to a point where I'll have to consider that option. I like my fizzy water too much!
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Well I had lapband surgery about 7 years ago and truly regret it! I am being honest. Initially I lost about 20 pounds and it was great...but being restricted to the small portions was tough AND I never had any great counseling ...actually none done before I had it done. I did see a dietitian for about 5 seconds and that was it. So gradually after the procedure I started to eat more than I was suppose to and vomited, vomited and vomited some more. I would go back and forth get the band loosened then tightened and blah, blah, blah!! I still vomited as I really could not control the amount of food I was taking in. I was HUNGRY!!! I love bread, and that triggered vomiting too and it got stuck....so that was out. I was just miserable and depressed.

I also started to have bad epigastric pain and went for a colonoscopy and upper one too end of last year and found out I had erosion in the esophagus due to the acidic vomiting. I was on Nexium for a long time. So I finally wised up and decided to take control of my own body and eat better, eat what I wanted within my chosen caloric range and exercise AFTER I had the band opened up fully so it would not interfere with my own weight loss journey without any interference from the band. I started this in January when I had them remove all the fluid in my band and have lost 30 pounds on my own...and even joined MFP in Feb. to help me along and got a fitbit. I am very proud of my own efforts because the band did nothing but make me vomit due to my own inability to eat small amounts.

When I went to the surgeon in January he told me if I was not successful on my own (and he did not think I would be because of the 7 year history), he said I should go for the gastric sleeve. Well, pooooo on that!! I am in this to win it and I WILL do it on my own!! I plan on getting the bloody thing removed in the near future as psychologically I don't want that device in me!! I had sooooo many trips to the Dr. to tighten the band, then remove some of the fluid, I have had tons of barium swallows as all the vomiting caused me to have a 'pouch' which I think has been taken care of due to I have not vomited once since January. So for those of you considering this... it may work...and again there are no is guarentee it will work....., but it has been terribly unsuccessful for me,personally. It was only a quick fix and really never 'fixed' my eating habits nor made me exercise. I totally agree with the above comment, we need to at least work on looking at our eating habits and getting into exercise.

I finally woke up one day and decided to take control of my life...and so far so good!!! I do understand that it does work for some people...but not for this person.

Hope you all have a great day!

Nancy
  • artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I started this most recent journey because I had gone in for the initial steps of surgery. I wanted the sleeve and was so sure because of my size that I would be rocking that surgery date very soon. However, I was told that in order to have surgery, I needed to lose 114lbs first!!! I laughed in their faces. I said " If I could do that I wouldn't be here looking into surgery!".

So I went home and sulked a few days and then told my husband I would try to lose the 114 but the Dr would surely see that I couldn't do it and then relent and let me have the surgery.

Well. I started doing it. And it worked. I have been in a up and down battle with 15 lbs or so for the past few months but I know that is mental. I derail myself after doing really well. But I have proved to myself that I can do it. And when I really put my mind to it, it works. But that's me. That's not everyone.

So I know I no longer want the surgery. It's too restrictive for me. And I think I knew that when I was considering surgery, but I was desperate. I'm glad I took the time to try this on my own...I mean REALLY try. I can't imagine not eating some of my fav things.

So I will do this. I will get to the 114lbs they told me to lose and I will keep on trucking until I get to the point I want to be at. Its a long road but I will get there with no surgery.

Diana
  • julieworley376
    Options
    I am really happy people are being so honest about this. Having it and it failed or having it and it worked or thinking about it and deciding against it.

My Doctor sent me to the surgeon years ago without me knowing anything about it. When the Doctor explained it to me I was horrified.. I thought.. OMG if I have to do all this (6 mths diet at the time for my insurance) and then I can't even enjoy a huge salad why not just stick to Weight Watchers? So I did. And now I am at my heaviest ever.

There does not seem to be a cause except extra fluid but WW does NOT work for me. Counting calories here didn't work either. Will come back later and say more..
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I briefly considered weight loss surgery. I never made it as far as a consultation beyond my regular doctor. Primarily, I decided similarly to others that afterward, it would be far too restrictive: in diet, in activity, in even water consumption. If I couldn't fix my brain to think and send signals BEFORE surgery, how on earth did I expect to fix it after surgery? The potential for complications was too high, and now knowing other abdominal health issues that have surfaced due to my weight loss, I thank the gods I didn't have the surgery. I would be on those commercials about suing over Pelvic Mesh/Sling surgeries.

I know a woman who had the surgery in the early 2000's who almost died due to surgical complications (my ex's boss). And I know a woman who had the surgery 12-18 months ago, and she looks like she is down to a size 4-6 (she was easily a 28-32 pants size before). I haven't talked to her a whole lot since her surgery, but she seems to have been successful and happy with the whole process. For every person who had major complications or for whom the surgery was not effective, I hear 5+ stories of success.

I personally felt that for anyone in need of the surgery that it was an excellent option. But for me, even talking about it meant I failed. Luckily through the healing process that was the wake of my divorce, I got over that notion (mostly - I'm always harder on myself than others...still working on that). However, I also realized that whatever I'd done in the past hadn't worked, but at least some things I was doing now were working. I lost 20 or so pounds over a year or two. So, I determined not to give up. I lost 50+ more pounds. Then I gave up. I gained back almost 25 pounds. Starting around January, I decided I was ready to start looking at options again...in February, a random weight challenge was started...I lost about 15 pounds or so in 9 weeks I think. I don't remember exactly. I'm hovering around 250 (my highest was between 335-350).

Unfortunately, right now I'm somewhat at maintenance, but I have to get back to it. All the affordable carbs right now are making me gain belly flab back and that is SO not OKAY with me... I admire all these people who can make massive strides on their own. I applaud all the people who understand themselves enough to know that they need to use the tools available to them - like surgery, etc. That is true bravery. Deciding which risks are worth it... And I admire any man or woman out there living his/her life just trying to get healthier, however that looks.

So, kudos to us all... Even if we are gaining, losing, or sitting still, mentally we are getting healthier. We are all here, aren't we? Go us!
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have not considered any weight loss surgeries for myself. In part it is because I am only 28 and for some reason I feel that I can do this on my own. In my life I have had a good number of people around me get some type of surgery though. A few years back one of my good friends went with a gastric bypass. He lost a good chunk of weight and was doing well, but he fell of the wagon for a bit and started gaining the weight back. He turned course and began to do what he needed to again and is currently at his lowest since he was around 13 years old.

My father was diagnosed with diabetes about 8 years ago. A couple of years back his doctor suggested that getting a lap band might be a good option for him. He had the surgery and for a while not much changed. He didn't really seem to lose any weight. A part of it was the fact that he had the band so loose and also the fact that he hadn't changed his diet much. Over the last six months or so my mother and I have been slowly turning his mind around and he has started to lose weight and lower his A1C.

A neighbor of mine also got the bypass and she lost about 180 pounds but it all came back with a vengeance and brought a few extra friends with them. For her it was not a good option because she was unable to stick to the changes she needed to make. I guess it depends on each person whether or not it will work and the personal commitment they are able to make to their health.
  • julieworley376
    Options
    YAY! Go US. I have decided to do it because I am 56 years old, my Dad had his first stroke at 57 and one of my brothers his first heart attack at 58, my eldest brother missed the 57/58 but is dead already at the age of 66 from lung cancer. I am not getting any younger. I had to miss my sons wedding yesterday because I couldn't fly. I know I am capable of lifestyle change and I LOVE exercise, I am just way too big right now and so unhealthy. When I was younger I could get away with things.. I can't now and I keep on getting bigger.

So here I go.. into a new world. And you guys are here to help me through the hard stuff ahead.

Go US
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Surgical options are not something I know anything about or have ever considered tbh.

Feeling sad today, will have to try extra hard to find something for my happy thread. It is close to my mums birthday she died 3 years ago. The top I bought when I was in the UK for her funeral was hanging on the washing line on my balcony after a wash and when I went to get it in it looks like bleach fell on it. And one of my nice skirts, the one I went out in the other night and felt good in. I cried over the top. The caretaker for the apartments was cleaning the balcony above yesterday and I guess it leaked down onto my washing. Some underwear ruined too, a couple of towels. It is the top I cared about though. Even though it really is too big for me now I wear it as a loose flowy thing just because it was what I wore to say goodbye to mum. They said they will replace anything I want replaced, but that cant be can it. Mum would shake her head at me being upset over a top that is too big anyway.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Natasha, perhaps a way to celebrate your mom and your new size is to let them replace the top and skirt - in your new sizes. Find as close to that top as you can - or just something your mom would have loved seeing you in, and celebrate. You can always turn that top into a pillow to hold or a memory quilt! Look at this as, if you believe this way, your mom's spirit telling you it is time to celebrate the new you that you are becoming! Hugs, Carly in OK
  • julieworley376
    Options
    Oh Natasha.. that is devastating.. I had some items ruined of my parents too because of a leak we had.. I am so sorry for you going through this. But I do think that Carly is right, please turn that top into something that you can hold to you, it will bring you comfort. I have an umbrella that was my Mom's, amongst other things, it's got rust marks and it really should go in the garbage but 7 years on.. I just can't do it.

Julie in IL
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that is a great idea about the top, there a soft polar bear my mum gave Dean the only time they met, I might see about using the top to dress the bear.

It is funny the things we hold on to. I have a white china platter too that I brought back with me, it used to be white anyway! It is nothing fancy it is not an antique or worth anything at all and it has a chip. Dh asked me if I wanted to bleach it along with the coffee cups the other day. I was all hell no!!! That cheap platter was my grandma's then my mums. It is precious just the way it is. He just did that guy face they do when trying to pretend they get it.

But on the positive side today we got in some activity, we booked a couple days away next week, we planned blueberry picking on Sat. Those are good things :)
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Sorry Natasha for what happened to your top...but I do think Carly is on to something!!! And you mentioned a dress for the bear....and perhaps taking a piece of the material and sewing it into a quilt or something else is a great idea!!! Plus getting a new outfit that fits you better is a terrific idea too!!! hope you cheer up soon!! Life is good....especially when we are able to wake up each day....considering the alternative!! Lol
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have certainly fantasized about it like anyone who has been aware of their weight for most of their life, as I have with many a miracle weight-loss notion.

I'm only 26 so the notion has never been very realistic. I had imagined it as something to do as I got older, with the idea that I would never be able to turn back the clock and what has happened to my body. It was a depressing notion so thats the association I had with weight-loss surgery. It would certainly feel like an admission of failure at this age. I know it's not, but thats the association I made in my mind and the impact that has on how I feel about myself.

At this point I have clearly overcome the notion that I can't do this the old fashion way. If I can lose 50 then I can lose 150. I'm glad I have proved this part to myself. Sadly it's no guarantee things will workout in the long run, but so far it is.
  • julieworley376
    Options
    Pat you are an inspiration to the group. I have actually lost at least 90 lbs three times over in my life so what I would say to you, and what I am going to say to myself from lap band onward is... one donut away from 160 lbs away, as in away from goal weight. I gave up smoking for the second time (I started again after 10 years quit) and I use something similar now, one away from 60 a day.

I know from the research I am doing that the lap band diet is pretty harsh and that the lap band is really just a tool, what I want to work for is getting to goal and staying there this time.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I reached 322lb and have considered surgery on many ocasions and was once offered it on NHS in UK. I have decided against it though for several reasons.
    * I am scared of surgery going wrong in some way
    * i am scared of long term side effects like more chance of bad loose skin, nutrient deficiences, complications
    * I know i can do it naturally because have done so twice in past
    My main reason though is i have had a seriouse binge eating dissorder for decades and I don't trust myself not do myself seriouse damage trying to still binge post sugery or not to find some way of still getting my food fix. In my mind the problem is more with my mind than with my body. I don't trust that sugery would be best for me. I think for my mental well being I personally need to find a way of eating that I can sustain without surgery. My latest thing is a paleo Ketogenic way of eating that i could live on permanently. If i cant stick with that then I may try the keto drip (Ketogenic Enteral Nutrition diet) that involved being hooked up to a portable nutrient drip for 10 days at a time while eating nothing and then eating healthy for 2 weeks and then back to drip etc until target reached. It is cheaper and less drastic than surgery, bit like a practice run in a way. Failing that i would again look at surgery.