Getting Baby to flip at week 39- Version Success??

Options
redredfox
redredfox Posts: 76 Member
Good afternoon! Has anyone had a version (manual flipping of breech baby) before? Success? Sometime between week 37-38, baby flipped into breech position and my due date is the 14th =( I found this out last Thursday and am now scheduled for a c-section on the 11th. I am having a version right before the c-section to see if baby will flip. I have been inverted since last Thursday and have even been doing handstands and summersaults in the pool! I am seeing a chiropractor tomorrow for the 'Webster' technique adjustment.. just hoping that ANYTHING will get little guy to flip back head down.

What have you all tried before?

Cheers!

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My baby was breech at my 34 week appointment, but then I had a scan at 36+5 and she was head down luckily. I went swimming and did Zumba, so not sure if that helped. I was also ill the weekend I was 36 weeks and stayed in bed, so not sure if resting made a difference, as I don't usually sit still for long! I think she was very wriggly as she ended up back to back, which made for a fun labour!

I know someone who had an ecv and her baby did flip.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience but I read these articles recently on fetal positioning exercises.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5703347_exercises-right-position-during-pregnancy.html

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ofp.htm
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I did not do it, but my OB was very much in favor of it. He doesn't actually do it but a midwife in his practice does with a pretty good success rate.

As it turned out, my baby flipped herself but refused to drop so I ended up with a c-section anyway, complete with vacuum assist go get her out as she was so high up!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I did not do it, but my OB was very much in favor of it. He doesn't actually do it but a midwife in his practice does with a pretty good success rate.

As it turned out, my baby flipped herself but refused to drop so I ended up with a c-section anyway, complete with vacuum assist go get her out as she was so high up!

How long did they let you go overdue? I'm assuming this was your first, but 2nd and subsequent babies often don't drop until you're in labour.

There's a website called Spinning Babies with ideas too.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    My first was breech all the way along. They tried to manually turn him at around 38 weeks. He was too long, properly wedged and it was too painful, so after 20 minutes of trying it failed. I was booked in for a c-section the day after my due date, but went into labour three days before. After a 47 hour labour (with no drugs) I delivered a perfectly healthy breech baby, backside first. Poor little thing was folded in two and had a purple bottom for a couple of days where it had been hitting my cervix. He was 7lb 4oz, but long and thin. He is a perfectly healthy child now with no adverse effects from being born backwards.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have not had an EV, but I've been fairly obsessed with this topic lately, as my baby has been breech. (I'm only 32 weeks, so hoping it will flip soon). I have watched plenty of videos of breech babies being born vaginally with no problems! I hate that they push you into a C section so early for it. my doula was able to put off the section until she was almost 42 weeks, hoping to go into labor on her own. She didn't and did end up needing the C section, but I know of a few babies who flipped during labor. So if you can put if off past 40 weeks, I'd try! Good luck! I'll say a prayer that baby flips soon!
  • beautyforashes0890
    beautyforashes0890 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My baby was breech all the way til week 39 (my last one I should say lol I'm currently only 12 weeks with #3) ... my doctor offered the external version but didn't recommend it. He said there were too many risks involved like placental abruption that he felt a c section was much safer, especially considering EV is not a 100 percent guarantee. So I got on spinningbabies.com and began looking into ways to get baby to flip! One thing I did every day for 20 minutes was prop an ironing board on my couch at an angle and lay on it upside down. I have no clue if that worked but between by 38 week appt and 39th (we did ultrasounds every appt to see if he was still butt down), he flipped! Do what you feel is best and safest for your baby. :) and hang upside down on an ironing board if you have to! Haha :)
  • rainbowbrite1325
    rainbowbrite1325 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My last pregnancy, my daughter turned tranverse at 37 weeks. They started discussing c-section and I asked to please give her some time to just see if she turned. Of course I read the horror stories online if I happen to go into labor it could be bad during that time. I found some stretches online where you lay hanging off the couch or bed. It seemed odd but was worth a try. She actually did go back to head down position by 39 weeks (thank goodness).
  • mrsomeara
    mrsomeara Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! Has anyone had a version (manual flipping of breech baby) before? Success? Sometime between week 37-38, baby flipped into breech position and my due date is the 14th =( I found this out last Thursday and am now scheduled for a c-section on the 11th. I am having a version right before the c-section to see if baby will flip. I have been inverted since last Thursday and have even been doing handstands and summersaults in the pool! I am seeing a chiropractor tomorrow for the 'Webster' technique adjustment.. just hoping that ANYTHING will get little guy to flip back head down.

What have you all tried before?

Cheers!

How did your chiropractor appt go? Another option worth trying is acupuncture.