Advice on maternity support bands

Options
janetay01
janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
To all of you who are either further down the pregnancy road than I am (17 weeks today) or have done this before, can anybody suggest a good maternity support band. I'm starting to suffer from what I think is round ligament pain and my back on and off is very sore - and it's been suggested to me that a band might help. Particularly interested in those of you who are on the smaller side - I'm 4' 11" and a lot of the reviews I read indicate that they don't work on smaller women. Any advice appreciated!

Replies

• kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    I used a band for my first pregnancy, and it worked pretty well. I am 5'6".. Not sure if height has anything to do it with it.. and I cannot remember the brand I have.. but it has like this soft band that you put on first, and then you put on this tighter binder part. I couldn't go anywhere for long walks without it. And by long walks, I meant to the store lol. I also used it postpartum.

Mine was similar to this, but it didn't have the top strap, and there was a soft band underneath the binder. This one looks super awesome and if I need one this pregnancy, I may just have to get this one

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Bump-Maternity-Pregnancy-Adjustable/dp/B00IO5X76C/ref=zg_bs_1285232011_30
  • janetay01
    Options
    Thank you! I'll have a look at that one on Amazon. Reviews seem to imply that some of the bands are too wide for people with short torsos - a category into which I definitely fall!
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, some can be very wide. Makes sense!
  • justinskitty
    justinskitty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use Blanqi! They are amazing. I used a regular band during my first pregnancy and I always had to rearrange it. I got my blanqis on eBay since they can run $70 each. I paid $40 for each of mine. I wear them all the time. Many people even wear them to bed. I'm not quite there yet. I bought a large long and they work great for leggings and dresses. I pull them up a little for jeans and wear them on the inside. Preprgnancy I was 150lbs 5'6 and a size 8/10 so a large works great at 21 weeks and will grow with me.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/blanqi-bodystyler-underbust-maternity-support-tank-regular-long/3089715

http://www.blanqi.com
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    The hospital gave me one after I had my daughter. I used that one while pregnant with my son. No clue on brand or anything but the hospital has I all sizes and made sure to get me exactly the right fit. They are the best for quality and durability too! Maybe the hospital in your area might sell them?
  • kemiley
    kemiley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the Gabrialla and liked it with previous pregnancies when I was larger, but I'm not quite big enough at this point for it to be "under belly" if that makes sense... so it squishes more than it supports.

I just ordered the Blanqi... can't wait to see if that works. If it doesn't I'm giving in and splurging on a FittaMamma high support top.
  • janetay01
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions everyone - some good ideas on the range that is out there. I've got a Dr appointment in the morning to get some advice on managing the back pain and her thoughts on bands so once I've done that, I'll make a choice and pick something up. I thought it was linked to round ligament pain, my midwife thinks Pelvic Girdle Pain. All I know is that I need to do something about it - not doing another 5 months like this! I feel about 100 years old and it is shocking how it demotivates you in everything else that you do.
  • mrsomeara
    mrsomeara Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    janetay01 did you end up buying a support band/belt?

Today (28 weeks 1 day) was the first time I did not feel great after my workout. And all I did was walk to the gym pushing a stroller and used the elliptical. Part way through the elliptical my lower back started to kill me and I had lower right round ligament pain. I lasted 30 minutes and then called it quits. The walk home was a slow one. I feel like a senior citizen!

I am thinking I would probably benefit from a support band. I am not giving up my exercise. :wink:
  • katebrog
    katebrog Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used the Gabrialla Elastic Maternity Support Belt in medium support and it was really great! Used it on elliptical and when I was still able to run. However, now that I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy, it's a bit too snug and just squishes my belly and doesn't really support, but I didn't want to order the largest size since my belly didn't really get very big until around 36 weeks (now at 38w/2d and definitely couldn't wear the belt).
  • mrsomeara
    mrsomeara Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I used the Gabrialla Elastic Maternity Support Belt in medium support and it was really great! Used it on elliptical and when I was still able to run. However, now that I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy, it's a bit too snug and just squishes my belly and doesn't really support, but I didn't want to order the largest size since my belly didn't really get very big until around 36 weeks (now at 38w/2d and definitely couldn't wear the belt).

Thanks Katebrog! I think am going to order one on Amazon now so its here on Friday :)
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Following! I'm 5'1" & am looking for a good support band that won't break the bank!
  • janetay01
    Options
    mrsomeara - I haven't actually bought one yet. It turned out that it was neither pelvic girdle nor round ligament pain - but something else that my osteopath sorted out for me. And since I saw the osteopath, I haven't had any problems so I've held off buying anything yet. As and when I do get one, I've been told really good things about the Nexcare Maternity Support band so will probably go for one of them. They are about £35 in the UK.