Just curious: How many calories?

luvHim
luvHim Posts: 35 Member
I'm curious as to how many calories the rest of you mamas are eating and still losing with? I am still bf'ing my 13 mo old about 9 times a day, and he eats some solids, but not alot.

For the past 2 weeks, I have logged calories around 1900-2100 and have lost, but I'm hoping I will keep losing doing that.

What are your cals set at and are they working for you?

Replies

• dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    2100 with a 5 month old (no solids yet). I'm 165 and losing slowly while also eating back exercise calories. I work full time so once I stop pumping at work, I will definitely have to dial back the calories.
  • luvHim
    So you eat 2100 PLUS exercise calories, or 2100 is what you are eating total?
  • dandelyon
    So you eat 2100 PLUS exercise calories, or 2100 is what you are eating total?

2100 plus exercise, which is about 200 every other day.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Keep in mind, everyone is different and it depends on many factors.
    My baby is 9 months old. I was eating 2300 plus exercise and losing. Right now I upped it to 2400 plus exercise and I usually eat most back and I am (hopefully in my case) maintaining.
  • dandelyon
    My baby is 9 months old. I was eating 2300 plus exercise and losing. Right now I upped it to 2400 plus exercise and I usually eat most back and I am (hopefully in my case) maintaining.

Yes!

If anything, I was hoping my post would suggest you might be able to eat more. I always worry that breastfeeding women aren't eating enough. (I'm going to be a fantastic mother-in-law some day, right??)
  • luvHim

Yes!

If anything, I was hoping my post would suggest you might be able to eat more. I always worry that breastfeeding women aren't eating enough. (I'm going to be a fantastic mother-in-law some day, right??)

:) Yes, you will!

And thanks for the reminder that everyone is different. It's been a little hard for me to gauge how much I need since I have six children and do all my own gardening, canning, etc. If I stall at 2000 cals, I might up it more.
  • AuraJ77
    AuraJ77 Posts: 6 Member
    Generally, breastfeeding moms should take in about 500 extra calories per day

http://www.babycenter.com/0_diet-for-a-healthy-breastfeeding-mom_3565.bc

Then consider your activity level, how much sleep you are getting, etc. Drink, drink, drink water. Not only will it help you lose weight, but it will help you keep a good supply of milk.

I am no longer breastfeeding, but with my two sons I breastfed a total of 50 months. Go mama!
  • luvHim
    Good for you!! That's alot of months to b'feed!

I am adding in about 400 calories since he is getting some solids, although not lots. So far it's working, just a little slower than I'd like! LOL
  • jadeous
    jadeous Posts: 133 Member
    I weigh 264 and I eat only 1800-1950cals should I be eating more? Seeing what you ladies are eating I am thinking I probably should be.
  • dandelyon
    I weigh 264 and I eat only 1800-1950cals should I be eating more? Seeing what you ladies are eating I am thinking I probably should be.

Yes, I would say you're eating the bare minimum. I mean, if it's working (your baby has enough milk and you're losing at a reasonable rate) and you're happy with it, by all means continue. But I would think you CAN eat more and lose.
  • KiwipowaRoo
    KiwipowaRoo Posts: 220 Member
    Im 130lbs and I eat 2000 atm. My daughter is 21months though, she still eats often, just not as much (I guess). I lose half a lb a week.
  • luvHim
    Im 130lbs and I eat 2000 atm. My daughter is 21months though, she still eats often, just not as much (I guess). I lose half a lb a week.

This is my current weight also, and also how much I am eating. So far I've been losing 1/2-1 lb a week, so I'm happy!
  • Mshukh
    Mshukh Posts: 24 Member
    I'm 130ish and I eat roughly 1600-1700 daily (that includes exercise that ranges between 300 - 800 cals a day). I am still breastfeeding three times a day. And I am maintaining at this. So everyone is very different. For me to lose, I have to drop to 1400-1500 a day with same exercise. And it will be a slow loss. I'm also hypothyroid although it is being controlled quite well.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    I'm 245lbs and my son nurses 3 times a day at 19 months. My calorie goal is 2400 and I lose weight when I stick to it :)
  • Jessicalaing2012
    Jessicalaing2012 Posts: 14 Member
    Hello all! New to the group 😊 I'm exclusively breastfeeding my almost 3 month old. I'm 5'3 weighing now 172.8 lbs (gave birth the end of November at 199 lbs. So far 26 lb weight loss (gained 22 lbs during pregnancy). Thankfully I've had no issues in my milk supply (3rd breastfed baby so that might be the reason? Not sure but I'm grateful). I'm eating 1840 calories daily. When I was adding extra 500 for just breastfeeding I started gaining so I stopped counting those. I won't go below that # tho for fear of losing my supply. & I'm not doing any type of exercise right now except occasional walks when we can.
  • Jessicalaing2012
    Jessicalaing2012 Posts: 14 Member
    I wanted to edit my response but not sure how. I had to update my weight in the profile section & it changed my calories to 1570 so I'm I am now adding back in my 500 for breastfeeding since I don't want to be that low while exclusively breastfeeding a young baby. I'm not going over 2000 tho & so far I'm still losing so it's trial & error right now but I'm sure eventually I'll get it perfect lol hopefully.