Surgery Tomorrow! Is this really worth it?

Options
arh0317
arh0317 Posts: 33 Member
Hi,
Having surgery tomorrow and kinda wondering, should I really do this? I'm 5'7 and 286 lbs. I'd like to be down to at least 150 lbs. I just had it slapped in the face again this morning that this "isn't really a surgery I have to have"... that was from the billing department of the hospital when they called today to tell me I'm responsible to pay $250 tomorrow or cancel. Sorry, but I don't have that just lying around. Then my Dr. office says they told me this back in Oct. Well, this is Aug.! Then, they moved my check in time today for tomorrow from 11:30am to 6am! I don't have family in the area and it's extremely difficult to arrange everything! These may not seem like big deals, but when you're already stressed about a surgery "you don't really need", it can cause strong emotions!!!!!! Second guessing...

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Those are big deals and to have them tosssed at you the day before? No wonder you are asking is it worth it! My answer is a resounding YES! Look, if you could lose the weight without the surgery AND keep it off without the surgery, you would have. The fact that you are here the day before surgery says a lot about you needing the surgery. I have just one regret and that is that I waited so long to do something about my weight. If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I do now, three years out from surgery, I would do it all over again. This is the best thing that I have ever done for myself!

That said, if the $250 and the change in time requires you to postpone, then postpone. Just don't give up! Hang in there and be in touch if you need to talk or anything.

Pat
  • Jaynelle78
    Options
    Hi there:-) I am having surgery soon myself, and I am the same height and weight as you. I have been wondering the same thing. I feel like everyone in my life wants me to do it without surgery...
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes- it really, really, really is worth it…I don’t think you can be sane and not wonder if it’s a good idea to have a perfectly healthy organ removed. But I can tell you, having had all those thoughts- and still sometimes as I pay the bills or have a rough day- being 80+ lighter than I was in March- I would have gone through all that and more. I think also- for me- there was a sense of shame involved that I got so obese it required surgical intervention to fix- but it did- and it worked- and that sense of shame is diminishing as I do the work every day to continue to loose and maintain. It’s worth it all just to shut off that horrible internal dialog that played constantly about how big I was getting and how much I was failing at getting some control over the problem. Beg, borrow and steal for the copay (ok, maybe don’t steal)- if you are in the NYC/ NJ area- message me and I’ll come pick you up and drive you there- but do keep moving towards your goal.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    As if having surgery isn't stressful enough, you get bonus stress thrown in. No wonder your head is spinning! It's totally natural and normal to be stressed and nervous and yes, doubtful even. You will find that a lot of people had doubts going into it. It's a big deal, and you really should put a lot of thought into it.

As far as the surgery being worth it - all I can say is, a thousand times YES, it's SO worth it. I have gotten my health and quality of life back and learned a new normal that will help me live a longer and healthier life. I feel amazing and I feel like I have finally taken control of my life .

I hope everything gets sorted out for you. Hang in there, and like Pat said, don't give up!
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It seems you have been committed to this surgery since day one and to have issues come up at the last minute would be very discouraging. You have come this far and I think most of us got cold feet the day before our surgery. The last thing you need is more stress on top of that.

I hope these issues can be worked out with your surgeon and you are able to go ahead with the surgery tomorrow. The money would also throw me off finding out the day prior to surgery. There were so many things you need to do to get to this point that it just may have been something that slipped your mind as it wasn't brought up again like the rest of the pre-surgery instructions are. It's a lot of information dates/meetings/appointments to keep track of and remember. I know I forgot about a couple of things.

The bottom line is: you're committed to this complete lifestyle change, you've completed all the tests/labs/meetings/appointments necessary to be cleared for this surgery and a little apprehension the eve of the surger is very common. Most of us didn't make this decision lightly and I doubt that you have either. People who don't have the education/information on WLS have no idea how hard it is. It's not an EASY FIX and It takes a lot of willpower and determination to follow through with this complete change in both your eating habits and need for exercise4.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!!!!!! I'll be thinking of you and wishing you the best of luck. Please keep us informed on how things are going for you. That's why we are here.

Karen
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have done it without the surgery. I have been obese since 2nd grade. I had no knowledge of what it felt like to be a normal wt. besides that I ran out of time as my health was failing and I have a husband and child to care for. I put myself first and pulled the trigger. Next month I will finally finish paying of last yrs $3000 deductible. So I do understand budget concerns.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    We all have doubts prior to surgery and also in the days following, if you can believe it. This is a major life change and you're the only person who can decide if it is a necessary life change and worth it to you.

Which is to say, it doesn't matter what 'everyone' is telling you. What are YOU telling you? if you don't think this is the right step for you, don't take it. If you are unsure, wait. Spend a little time in deep meditation. Search the deep places of your heart. Remind yourself why you wanted the surgery in the first place. A change in time and the co-pay are disturbing, but are they truly dealbreakers? Only YOU can answer that.

As far as time changes. I got all checked into the hospital...FINALLY on my day of surgery and they pushed me off to the next day, but not to first thing in the morning the next day, they pushed me off to last thing the next day. My insurance was covering, so not such a big deal, but BOY was I hungry! LOL!

Let us know how it is going, whatever your decision. All my best to you.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yes! It is worth it! I'm 47, 5'6" and at 235 was miserable! Today, at 145, I'm healthy, active, off all pre-op meds and in control of my intake! Best gift I've ever given myself, but you have to decide for yourself if this is something you want and are ready to do. Good luck in your decision.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely.

Don't let your very normal anxiety derail your plans and all of your hard work.

$250 may seem like a lot now, but it is worth it in the long run. That is a small financial investment to make in your health. Honestly, you will probably end up eating so much less than you did before that you will start saving $100s in groceries and eating out on a monthly basis, and recoup your investment.

Good luck. Push forward! Do not look back.
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    Your right, you don't have to have it. That's true of so many things in our lives.
    BUT, although I can't guarantee you will be happy, I feel like I can almost promise if you don't you will regret it in a little while.
    If you can find the $250, then I wholeheartedly feel you can do this. But as Pat said, if it not the right time due to these extra stresses, then a little postponement is ok. Just don't turn off the surgery idea now that you have come so far.
    I looked into banding (because they won't do sleeve here self funded) a few years ago and then shelved it. I nearly shelved the idea again for the sleeve. But then it was bit the bullet and do it and I swear I have not looked back. You will be the same. The little rough patches will be gone before you know it and your new life will be right in front of your eyes.
  • Choppy1973
    Options
    You have to be 100% ready for the surgery. It's normal to be nervous but you have to be in the mindset to go through with it. I initially looked into surgery 5 years ago and began the POWL regimen only to quit because I wanted to give myself one last go at doing it on my own. I didn't come to the realization until July 2013 to have the surgery. I was sleeved on 11/6 and am really happy. I think my only regret is not having it done years ago. Good luck in whatever you decide. Feel free to reach out with questions or add as a friend.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's true about that $250. You'll recoup that quickly just from the grocery savings. You'll be living on jello and protein powder for a while and after that, well...like one steak will be good for you for 3 meals. It will take you days to get through a 32-ounce container of yogurt. You'll buy a pound of salmon and eat it for 5 days for dinner. So not only will you save money on groceries, you'll likely up the quality of those groceries.

That's been a weird adjustment for me. My husband is also dieting and living on salads and cottage cheese. My kids are off to college in a week or so and I've already dialed way back on the groceries because so much of what's in our pantry is heading off to college with the kids. Neither I nor my husband can eat it.

Keep us apprised and let us know what you decide and how you are doing.
  • lucyw70
    lucyw70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It is VERY worth it! I am sorry that you have had all of these things thrown at you the day before the surgery, but hopefully you are able to work things out. Good luck and I hope all goes well. Having this surgery is the best thing I have ever done. I am a little over 2 months out and have more energy, lose fitting clothes (already have a pile of clothes to take to Goodwill), and look forward to getting on the scale now to see the results. Try not to stress too much and realize that on the other side of surgery is a new start!
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    Hi,
    Having surgery tomorrow and kinda wondering, should I really do this? I'm 5'7 and 286 lbs. I'd like to be down to at least 150 lbs. I just had it slapped in the face again this morning that this "isn't really a surgery I have to have"... that was from the billing department of the hospital when they called today to tell me I'm responsible to pay $250 tomorrow or cancel. Sorry, but I don't have that just lying around. Then my Dr. office says they told me this back in Oct. Well, this is Aug.! Then, they moved my check in time today for tomorrow from 11:30am to 6am! I don't have family in the area and it's extremely difficult to arrange everything! These may not seem like big deals, but when you're already stressed about a surgery "you don't really need", it can cause strong emotions!!!!!! Second guessing...
    Wondering how you went?
  • klh193
    klh193 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY worth it. I am 5'7" also, and was 254 prior to surgery. It was a constant roller coaster for me. I am SO happy, I didn't change my mind prior. This is a very good tool to have on your side. Don't give up now.
  • arh0317
    arh0317 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Had surgery Wed. And going home today! It has definitely been a rough start with nausea, but feeling better today thankfully. Now it's just adjusting. I appreciate the encouragement!
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Just follow your surgeon's instructions to the letter, don't forget to splint (put pillow over abdomen when getting up/down or coughing, etc.,), try to get as much water in as you can. If you surgeon gave you prescriptions for pain, nausea and cramping take them if needed - that's why you have them. A lot of my cramping came from anesthesia (gas left in abdomen).

So glad you were able to go ahead with the surgery and begin your weight loss journey along with the rest of us. Take it one day at a time with an eye toward your end goal and you'll do just fine. You'll be so glad you have taken this step. It's not easy, but it is so worth it.

Keep us up-to-date on your health, feelings, progress and any questions you may have. That's why this is such a wonderful group. No judgment, just advice and support.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    o to know! We wereall wondering if you postponed or what! Glad to hear made it and are doing well!

Pat
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    So happy you were able to get the surgery! Everything will get better. I am so happy I got this surgery, I feel great!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I completely forgot how much I saved in food. I used to eat breakfast out 4 days a week and dinner 2 times a wk. I can afford really good groceries now.