Itching/allergy reaction post-op?

Options
Thanks for all the great info and discussion on this forum. This is my first time to post but I have been reading for several weeks. I was sleeved on Friday, Aug 1. I now have uncontrollable itching on my incisions which are covered by steri strips. As the steri strips peel I've noticed red bumps under them where they were attached. I have never had any kind of allergic reaction to adhesive or any kind of medical stuff. Has anyone expierenced this? What did you do?

Replies

• steph_13484
    steph_13484 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes I had an allergic reaction to the adhesive over my incisions as well as the round monitors they put on you. I let mine go to long and ended up having to go to the Emergency Room because it was the weekend. Where they gave me the choice to keep me with an IV fluids and high doses of allergy medicine. Or I could go home and watch it and pick up 3 different medicines from the pharmacy and take orally. I went home and it took a whole day before it started getting better. I followed up with my surgeon the following week!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I developed a reaction to most adhesives on my skin several years ago. Paper tape is the only thing that doesn't bother me too much, but even with that I am really careful not to leave it on too long. So yes, I had that reaction to my steri strips too. I used Benedryl cream to help relieve the itching and to soften the steri strips to help them come off faster. It's annoying for sure. Hope it goes away quickly for you.

Pat
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was allergic to the dissolving suture so I took Zyrtec every night and singular and Claritin every morning. Helped tremendously.
  • laurenlily212
    laurenlily212 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!