August 7, 2014

Options
djcangel
djcangel Posts: 800 Member
Good Morning All ! I have a question. Do yall (oops, my Texan came out), have any suggestions for when I feel a stress/ depression state of mind coming on? I am not to worried about over eating anymore, I am not stress hungry if I eat good food. I have upped my exercise this month, back up to 2 miles on the morning walk, and 30 minutes in 6 minute increments on my elliptical, so I am doing well on that. This is a matter of relatives...a re-occurring situation (in the readers digest version) of my brother being very sick and my 87 year old mother being unwell enough herself to care for him...this is a very complicated tale, that I have threatened to go see a therapist about, because one way or the other it is directly effecting me, and not for the better. So, if any of you dear new friends of mine can tell me how I may be able to handle the stress when it arises (which it just has again), I would be very grateful, as I can not really afford to go see a therapist. Thank Goodness It's Almost Friday...for you working gals!!!

Replies

• janet41283
    janet41283 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Oh DJ too bad there aren't magic pills for this. I had been through this many years ago and there were no support groups then. A few years later when I became a counselor I started one. It was marvelous to have other people to discuss things with. It was also great for everyone there to know that they had at least an hour a week for themselves to talk and not be judged.
    Therapy might be a good thing. Sometimes it really helps to sort things out and prioritize. I did a ton of counseling for the "sandwich" generation and it is a very tough situation since everyone's family has a different dynamic. The main thing is to take care of yourself. Allow time for yourself. Learn to delegate! If you don't feel well then you can't help the people you love! Maybe this helps??? I have lots of ideas if you want to message me.
  • DarrylsGinger
    DarrylsGinger Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    DJ.. I understand not being able to afford that objective third party to listen to you vent. Have you considered blogging or at least just writing down your feelings to let them out into the open? You don't even have to do it under your own name if you decide to publish them on a blog site. I have done this many times.

Just a thought. Hope things get better for you soon and I'm happy to hear you don't let it impact your eating and exercise. Good health really is the foundation for us to move forward every day.

*hugs*
    Sandy
  • djcangel
    Options
    Thanks Jan and Sandy! Haven't ever considered blogging, and wouldn't know how to anomalously??? Might be a good idea...although...I know, that there is really no solution to the problem and it won't go away. Hmmm...just trying my best today not to let IT get to me. :noway:
  • thin4me59
    Options
    DJ sorry to hear you are going through this. Families can be tough especially when there is sickness etc. I love the suggestion of blogging! Just remember yourself! If you need to go for a walk to get away do so! You sound so strong in your eating habits now. Stay strong and hopefully this won't last long. Darlene
  • djcangel
    Options
    Thank You Darlene!!

Actually, I am getting wonderful help from someone that I can talk to it about, I never knew that could be so helpful, I have always kept my problems to myself, it is like letting the elephant out of the room to just say it to someone else. I shall be forever grateful and in her debt for being there, just to listen!!!

THANK YOU ALL MY DEAR NEW FRIENDS FOR CARING...It means the world to me. You are All Super! If any of you ever need someone to just listen, please feel free to just p.m. me and tell me all about it. Blessing to you all!!!
  • LydiaZembower
    LydiaZembower Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have gone to the gym and lifted weights. I have also listened to music while walking so that my mind is on other things.
    You can write your feelings down using word pad, libre office, or whatever program you computer has. That way only you can read them. You can always talk things through with all of us. All of us have had similar problems at various times in our life. Sometimes just venting helps and knowing that your views and feelings have merit. You are allowed to feel, You are also allowed to say you don't have time. Don't feel like you need to do everything. The girls are right. Take time for yourself. Lock yourself in the bathroom, take a nice bath with your favorite book. Anything to get your mind off your troubles, if only for a little while.
  • djcangel
    Options
    Lydia, Thank you, I am feeling very much better now, having talked about it to a friend, for my first time ever. It was the holding it in that was hurting me so. Thank you for caring. dj