New health issues after Sleeve

Options
TammyP64
TammyP64 Posts: 52 Member
I had my sleeve done on April 29th of this year. I just to my doctor's office on Monday for my yearly physical. He had be do a bunch of blood tests just to make sure everything is going well after surgery. Even at my highest weight of 302lbs, I never had any issues. No pre diabetes, high cholesterol etc. But I received an email from him late one night this week to let me know that everything looked great except for my bad cholesterol. He said that it has gone up about 100 points and he is quite concerned with the drastic change in the protein in my diet. Saying that I might need to go back to more of a baseline diet. Has this ever happened to anyone after having surgery? (He did fax all my lab work to my surgeon so I'm sure he'll be contacting me sometime today)

Replies

• Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Tammy, I don't know but please keep us informed on what your surgeon has to say about your labs. Take care.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My bad cholesterol is also higher, not signifcantly, but still higher. However, changing to more dairy based protein, chicken, turkey and pork rather than the higher protein beef has helped bring it down some. So three years out and I am still not to the point of needing cholesterol meds (yay!). I think, and you should check with your doctor, but once we go into maintennance, I think we can lower our protein intake, eat more fruits and veggies than we can in the losing phase, so it will drop more at that point if I'm right.

For me it's a trade off. I had high blood pressure, was boarderline diabetic and to the point of needing cholesterol meds when I had my sleeve done. Now the only thing left is a slightly higher bad cholesterol number. Everything else is gone or within normal levels and my health has improved dramatically, so it's a huge improvement despite the slightly higher cholesterol numbers.
  • wendyp1000
    Options
    I think it is all a tradeoff. You may not have had diabetes etc before weight loss, but I'm certain it was around the corner.

There are worse things than higher bad cholesterol. I have been on diabetes, bad cholesterol, and bad triglyceride meds forever.

I just think that as the weight comes off, your OVERALL health improves. This one item is just a number and you may need medication to bring that number down for a few months until you are able to back off on the protein and eat more veggies and fruits.

You could also speak to your nutritionist to see if there are things you can eat besides meat proteins (like nuts, etc) to substitute sometimes.

Just my two cents ...
    All the best,
    Wendy
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I am surprised that the MD would blame "bad cholesterol" on protein intake. Lean protein, like chicken, fish, etc., is not the usual culprit. Typically, this is an issue caused by taking in a too much carbohydrate and unhealthy fats. I'm not sure what your macros look like, but maybe consult with a RD and a cardiologist/lipidologist if you are very concerned.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    The reason our protein intake is high is because we only get half thru malabsorption. Sometimes you get an outlier event. Bad blood sample, screw up at lab..etc. this happened to my brother once. All of a sudden some insane triglyceride level. Repeat lab in 90 days completely back to normal. Since you log your food your nut can evaluate your diet for high cholesterol items.
  • TammyP64
    TammyP64 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice! My surgeon did get back to me and let me know that this is normal. He said that I'm losing weight which means I'm "burning fat" which then dumps cholesterol in to my blood. In the short term my cholesterol levels may rise but then settle out and even decline. So hopefully when I retest in 2 months everything will go back to normal!