Competition on the 16th.

Options
bostonwolf
bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
Two WODS released so far, one should be good. The other is not in my wheelhouse. Male/Female partners

WOD 1
Beauty and the Beast

Barbell Complex
3 power cleans from the floor
2 front rack lunges per leg
1 thruster

You can rest in the hang or on the floor but your hands can't leave the barbell once you start the complex.

My right leg is quite a bit weaker than my left, dates back to my ACL reconstruction in 1993 when my health insurance expired before I finished rehab. I also have a titanium screw in that knee that you can feel through the skin. I will have to buy volleyball kneepads to do the lunges properly. Oh well.

WOD 2

Will be announced today at some point.

WOD 3: Sunset Strip (I will list RX and scaled, I am doing scaled)

One partner is A, one partner is B

Run 600m with partner

A-30 Pull ups (30 Hand Release Push ups)
B-30 kb swings (2/1.5) or 30 kb swings (1.5/1)
A-20 box jump overs (30/24) or (24/20 step ups allowed)
B-20 T2B/20 med ball sit ups

Replies

• ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Those look super fun!!! How many rounds is Beauty and the Beast?

I am really excited - I just signed up for the Festivus Games coming up in October. You all should check it out! It's a nationwide competition and it's specifically geared towards the beginner and intermediate athletes among us.

http://www.festivusgames.com/

They have a novice and intermediate division. Here are the first 2 WODs:

WOD 1:

2000m Row

WOD 2:

AMRAP 10 Minutes:
    •50 bar facing burpees
    •30 back squats 95/65 Intermediate and 65/45 Novice
    •Intermediate: 10 toes to bar
    •Novice: 10 sit ups

WOD 3:

•5 rep max deadlift (Conventional or Sumo). Touch and go unbroken, no regrip.

The top 5 men and women in each division move on to an undisclosed 4th WOD.

The deadlift and row are my strengths, so I am super excited about that. The only thing I am worried about are the OTB burpees and the TTB. I can do them, just slowly.

I love amateur comps - they give you something to work towards!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    WOD 2 announced

For 2 minutes the team accumulates as many double unders as possible (scaled is plate burpees)

Immediately following each partner has to do 3x250m row, switching off as they go. 9 minutes to finish this.

This is pretty much right in my wheelhouse. I'm not in great cardio shape, but I'm good in short bursts where there is built in rest. My 500m best is about 1:35, so I'm guessing I can do 250 in 40 seconds or so.

Score is the added combination of both rower's WORST interval. You get seconds deducted based on number of DUs/Burpees completed.
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We did Beauty and Beast at our last Comp and it was hard. They had us go up in weight, and your score was your highest weight. Lunges are the toughest part for me as well. We just don't do them all that often!

We have a competition on the 16th as well, Summer Sizzler - Teams and Individual. I did team last time and am doing individual this time. We've got about 150+ coming from all over. Should be fun!!

Individual RX WODs are below....

WOD #1 - 12 min AMRAP
    50 calorie row
    25 Burpees over the Rower
    50 DL - 185/120
    25 Shoulder to Overhead 135/95

WOD #2 - 8 min AMRAP
    100 DU
    Squat Cleans - 155#/105#
    Box Jump Overs
    2 squat clean 2 box jump, 4 squat cleans, 4 box jumps, etc.

WOD #3 - 6 minute AMRAP
    Isabel - 30 Snatches at 135/95...then
    1 Ring Muscle Up, 1 Bar Muscle Up, 2 Ring Muscle Ups, 2 Bar Muscle Ups, etc.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Those look super fun!!! How many rounds is Beauty and the Beast?

I am really excited - I just signed up for the Festivus Games coming up in October. You all should check it out! It's a nationwide competition and it's specifically geared towards the beginner and intermediate athletes among us.

http://www.festivusgames.com/

They have a novice and intermediate division. Here are the first 2 WODs:

WOD 1:

2000m Row

WOD 2:

AMRAP 10 Minutes:
    •50 bar facing burpees
    •30 back squats 95/65 Intermediate and 65/45 Novice
    •Intermediate: 10 toes to bar
    •Novice: 10 sit ups

WOD 3:

•5 rep max deadlift (Conventional or Sumo). Touch and go unbroken, no regrip.

The top 5 men and women in each division move on to an undisclosed 4th WOD.

The deadlift and row are my strengths, so I am super excited about that. The only thing I am worried about are the OTB burpees and the TTB. I can do them, just slowly.

I love amateur comps - they give you something to work towards!

I didn't realize Festivus was a national comp! The one in my local area is the same day as another comp that I am doing (which is more strength oriented, a combo Oly/powerlifting meet). For the WOD 2 the 30 squats for me would be easy, but 50 in a row burpees is killer lol. I'm not sure how many T2B I can string together since I've only tried them once.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have a local state competition on the 16th. I don't know what any of the WODs are. My 2nd one. Sending ninja energy your way!:drinker:
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Thank you!

Ashlando, it's a 4 minute time cap per athlete. So this week I will find a weight I KNOW I can do without fail and do that first, then I think in that time I'll get two more shots at more weight (doing the complex, switching weights, etc)
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I have a local state competition on the 16th. I don't know what any of the WODs are. My 2nd one. Sending ninja energy your way!:drinker:

And I already have the beers I'll be drinking after the fact lined up:

Homebrew (A double IPA)
    Alchemist's Heady Topper
    New Belgium Ranger IPA (which we bought in North Carolina, New Belgium doesn't distribute in New England yet)
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I guess its Competition day on 8/16 -
    I have one as well - Summer Meltdown in Hartford, CT

its a Individual and F/F, M/M team comp.

Our WODs are:

WOD 1:
    Death by Shoulder to OH. RX 155/115, Sc 95/65
    First minute 3 reps, 2nd minute-4, 3rd -5, 4th-6, 5th-7, 6th-8, 7th - 9, 8th - 10; and then 2 min AMRAP (not clear if the AMRAP is STO or something else yet)

WOD 2 and 3: two sep.scores.
    15 minutes to complete:
    RX: 1 mile run; 6 attempts at a 1 rep max Full clean for each teammate
    Sc: 1/2 mile run; 6 attempts at a 1 rep max Full clean for each teammate

WOD 4:
    50 yard burpee broad jumps, 50 deadlifts (RX: 225/155, Sc:135/95), 50 yard sprint, 50 pull-ups/ring rows. 10 minute time cap

Somewhat looking forward to it..... :laugh:
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Floater WOD announced today. 90 seconds long.

Buy-in is push a sled 50 meters. The female takes the high handles and pushes down, male takes low handles and pushes back.

After that female does as many C&Js as possible. male does as many tire flips as possible.

Weights to be announced day of the event.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    So I went and did 5x250m rows with 1:30 rest in between at 47, 48.3, 48.3, 49.4, 47.2.

If I can nail 47 for my slowest of 3 heats I'd take it.

We have nine minutes to both do 3 250m rows, slowest ones are added together for our time.

So for me call it 1 minute with getting off the machine afterwards, her 1:30. Just doing our heats will take 7:30 and leave us an extra 1:30 to rest. I will probably save most of it for the last one.

ideally the last person to row finishes their heat as the 9 minute cap is coming up to fully use the rest.
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Good Luck tomorrow to all who are competing!!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Recap:

it was fun, we finished near the bottom but were expecting that. There were some super fit teams competing in Scaled that probably should have been in RX, but oh well.

First WOD (barbell complex) we were dead last. Just stunk. I was hoping to get 135 as I'd managed 125 in practice. No such luck. My weaker left leg refused to stand up after the second lunge. Finished 22nd out of 22 teams

Second WOD was fun. Got 30+ burpees. With 20 seconds left I thought my partner could get to 40. She couldn't. Should have shut her down and saved it for the row, but that's life. I hit 45, 46.7 and 46.3 for my times. She was at 1 minute, 1:06, 1:05.

I beat what I'd tested at his week so I was happy. Her form needs some work but I was not about to correct her during the competition. We finished 17th.

2rd WOD. The only tough part for me was the run. And it wasn't hard, i'm just slow. Me and one other girl were last two in from the run. Partner did the push ups slow but steady, I did the swings unbroken (see new picture) then she went through the box jump overs at a good pace and I flew through the med ball sit ups. We finished 21st, but just behind a few teams and way ahead of the last place team.

The floater WOD (woman does high sled push, man does low sled push x2 then reps on C&J or tireflips)

TONS of guys had problems even moving the sled. So much so that initially it had two 45s and two 25s on it. They ended up taking off the two 25s and it didn't help anyone at all.

I think two things were at play. I think a few of these boxes do not have a sled and were unfamiliar how it moves and what the best form is. Second, Reebok Nanos. The models that have the plastic-like toe box do NOT grip on pavement. A lot of guys were spinning their wheels.

Also the girls pushed slightly down hill, guys slightly uphill.

My partner had some problems moving the sled just because she's small but one we got her form right she had it. I ran with the damned the thing. Thank you, New Balance Minimus with your fantastic grip, even a year into things.

My partner only got off three clean and jerks before the 90 second time cap, but the fact that we had any reps at all got us into 6th place. No team below us got a single rep.

And after I did it I was thinking "If I flew in Kelly for this one we would have been dropping people's jaws in awe of our skills"
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Another thing I thought was funny. I had my kneepad down around my ankle for my first try at the barbell complex. Didn't even realize it until after I did the first lunge and without even thinking landed it without hitting the screw. I pulled it up for the next two tries.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Just curious, what kind of sled was it? I think you need slightly different technique depending on the style of sled. My old gym had "sleds" that were just basically a frame to put plates on that you would attach some kind of rope to for pulling, or "prowlers" with 3 feet that could only really be pushed. My box has some weird Rogue yoke/squat rack/sled hybrid.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Heres a review of my comp -

Overall not well run. We did WOD 2/3 starting at around 10am, didnt WOD again for 3+ hours, then again for 3+ hrs. Scoring went down, so we left at almost 7pm not knowing who won, scoring was not posted until wed of last week from Saturday.

15 minutes to complete:

Partner and i did well though got 12th of 14 - I finished in 4 mins, but our score was 4:26, slower persons time.
    Pulled 140# on the clean partner puled 110# so 250 combined for a 4th place tie.

WOD 1:
    First minute 3 reps, 2nd minute-4, 3rd -5, 4th-6, 5th-7, 6th-8, 7th - 9, 8th - 10; and then 2 min AMRAP (not clear if the AMRAP is STO or something else yet)

Changed up the WOD due to the timing issues - so Partner A did 3-5-7-9 and B did 4-6-8, then each AMRAP'd I got 29 with 3 no reps, partner got 11 and dropped the bar with time left. This hurt us rank wise.

WOD 4:
    50 yard burpee broad jumps, 50 deadlifts (RX: 225/155, Sc:135/95), 50 yard sprint, 50 pull-ups/ring rows. 10 minute time cap

Crazy WOD - the burpee broad jumps were something to watch, and were pretty hard with footing. finished in 5:23 for a 13th place finish.

Overall goood workouts suited for me, but really just cant play with the big boys and we came in tied for 13th. Disappointing bc head to head with the other team from our gym, we were 2-1-1 in the work outs, but their points on the STO put them ahead of us.
    Likely hanging up my CF comp shoes going forward and going power lifting/strongwoman. I Hate coming in last, so i need to move on to something I feel more competitive with.
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    Here's my re-cap of my comp.

I did women's scaled. It was at a box about 100 miles away and there were people from all over the state there.

First WOD was 1 rm snatch and I was in the first heat. All the divisions were mixed together in different heats. I won this WOD for scaled.

2nd WOD was 21 GTO's and 30 Toes to Barbell. The GTO's were light for me and my judge made me have every rep cleared before I could do the next instead of just giving me no reps. Not everyone got the same kind of judging. I got 3rd in this event. The toes to barbell were harder for me than actual TTB's are and I lost time on them.

3rd WOD was a 2km run. It was about 95 degrees out. I sucked. I came in 7th, but still in the top half.

4th WOD was deadlifts, squats, sprints, and jump rope. I came in 2nd in this WOD. Only the top half of competitors went into the 4th WOD.

I came in 2nd overall in women's scaled. It was a much tougher comp than my first one with more competitors. I would have liked to have been in masters but I don't have pull ups so I had to compete in scaled. I do better on heavier weights than straight cardio. Overall, still felt really good about it.

I liked it overall but wished they would have had more of a mix of events in the first three instead of the straight running. Didn't seem as Cross-fitty, if that makes any sense. Only one of the non-finals WODs was a normal Crossfit style WOD. I didn't mind the Oly, of course, hahaha.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Heres a review of my comp -

Overall not well run. We did WOD 2/3 starting at around 10am, didnt WOD again for 3+ hours, then again for 3+ hrs. Scoring went down, so we left at almost 7pm not knowing who won, scoring was not posted until wed of last week from Saturday.

15 minutes to complete:

Partner and i did well though got 12th of 14 - I finished in 4 mins, but our score was 4:26, slower persons time.
    Pulled 140# on the clean partner puled 110# so 250 combined for a 4th place tie.

WOD 1:

Changed up the WOD due to the timing issues - so Partner A did 3-5-7-9 and B did 4-6-8, then each AMRAP'd I got 29 with 3 no reps, partner got 11 and dropped the bar with time left. This hurt us rank wise.

WOD 4:

Crazy WOD - the burpee broad jumps were something to watch, and were pretty hard with footing. finished in 5:23 for a 13th place finish.

Overall goood workouts suited for me, but really just cant play with the big boys and we came in tied for 13th. Disappointing bc head to head with the other team from our gym, we were 2-1-1 in the work outs, but their points on the STO put them ahead of us.
    Likely hanging up my CF comp shoes going forward and going power lifting/strongwoman. I Hate coming in last, so i need to move on to something I feel more competitive with.

I would do that (focus on the powerlifting) and then maybe try another comp down the road. The powerlifting will be a huge help. I don't get all that competitive at these because I still have a long way to go before I'd consider myself to be in good shape. Once I get there I'll let that dog off the leash.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Here's my re-cap of my comp.

I did women's scaled. It was at a box about 100 miles away and there were people from all over the state there.

First WOD was 1 rm snatch and I was in the first heat. All the divisions were mixed together in different heats. I won this WOD for scaled.

2nd WOD was 21 GTO's and 30 Toes to Barbell. The GTO's were light for me and my judge made me have every rep cleared before I could do the next instead of just giving me no reps. Not everyone got the same kind of judging. I got 3rd in this event. The toes to barbell were harder for me than actual TTB's are and I lost time on them.

3rd WOD was a 2km run. It was about 95 degrees out. I sucked. I came in 7th, but still in the top half.

4th WOD was deadlifts, squats, sprints, and jump rope. I came in 2nd in this WOD. Only the top half of competitors went into the 4th WOD.

I came in 2nd overall in women's scaled. It was a much tougher comp than my first one with more competitors. I would have liked to have been in masters but I don't have pull ups so I had to compete in scaled. I do better on heavier weights than straight cardio. Overall, still felt really good about it.

I liked it overall but wished they would have had more of a mix of events in the first three instead of the straight running. Didn't seem as Cross-fitty, if that makes any sense. Only one of the non-finals WODs was a normal Crossfit style WOD. I didn't mind the Oly, of course, hahaha.

Great job!

Toes to barbell. Would that be lying on your back and having to lift your legs up and over to touch a barbell?
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    Yes on the Toes to Barbell. It was strange. All abs, no swing.