Chucks.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Chucks.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that the flatter sole of the chucks or zero sole if barefoot helps you push better?

I lift in my garage, so I need to wear something because I often find tiny screws, nails, etc on the ground and worry that I'll step on something. I've just been wearing my regular sneakers. When my husband lifts in there at the same time I am, I noticed that he takes his shoes off when he squats and DLs. I asked him and he said "helps me grip better," but he didn't say I should do it. He is definitely moving a lot more weight than me and wears his "yard shoes" CROCS :bigsmile: whenever he is out there and they offer zero support.

I do have a pair of old chuck taylors, I will try them out tomorrow.

Thanks for asking this question!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Chucks
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Used to do it with my regular shoes but found I had really bad balance on my heels and no "grip" to the floor so I went and bought some Nike Free - they were the cheapest decently "flat" shoes I could find here. While I like them they're still not the best, and there is still a good amount of grip I'm missing from using them as i've notices when I video my squats it looks like my heel raises from the floor even though my weight is distributed there. They're also a size too big so not awesome to do any sort of running or jumping xD

I tried lifting in my socks once (did a few deadlifts only because I only had my running shoes that day and ugh!) but got chewed on by the gym staff. They have a must-wear-shoes policy I guess

I'd really love to get my hands on some of the reebok nano's when I have a chance (read: probably next xmas when I get gift money! lol) but they're really hard to find over here to try on and I'm really skeezy about buying shoes online because I have a hard time finding ANYTHING that fits even in stores, lol.

Funnily enough, everyone here says Chucks - everyone everywhere does - and I'm not even sure I've ever seen ANYONE up here wear those, nor have I noticed them in stores. We Canadians... *shakes head*
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    @krok I buy mine cheap in discount stores around here all the time. :) They are usually $45-55 but I never pay more than $25 a pair if I can help it. I call my feet Flintstone feet and I loooove Chucks, especially for lifting. I'm picky about how my shoes fit. Say the word and I'll keep an eye out for a pair for you.
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    Options
    For the converse wearing people, I have a quick question.

I have cray flat fleet (like walk in the sand, can't see an arch flat) so most of the time my Converse have an insert in them for day to day life. Should I take that out when I'm lifting because it will mess with my form, or can I leave it in? My feet don't hurt unless I'm doing insane amounts of walking without them, so a forty-five minute to hour stronglifts routine shouldn't be a problem.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    @bangbang If your insoles are cushioned I would take them out. Otherwise it should be fine.

I used to wear chucks, but just got a pair of heeled and a pair of flat lifting shoes which are quite an improvement. Chucks are flat, but they are still compressible albiet much much less than running shoes. My arch started to roll in on heavy squat weights, but I wasn't having an issue with no shoes on. So it may have been something that was happening with the shoes and my body specifically as there are several folks who squat way heavier than I do and don't seem to have an issue. For all the lifts, and especially squats, a lifting specific shoe is pretty much always going to be "the best." That being said chucks, skate shoes, and "barefoot" shoes are all perfectly serviceable for most people.
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    Options
    @bangbang If your insoles are cushioned I would take them out. Otherwise it should be fine.

Thank you!
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    So, is it better to lift with no shoes on than in running shoes?

I can afford to go buy new chicks now, but I'll keep that in mind
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

If you lift at home, try it in your socks.
    Some gyms get angry if you take off your shoes.
    One of my gyms, I saw a dude kick off his sneaks all the time for deads. Another, I wouldnt have dared take off my shoes it was so yucky
    And at a 3rd gym, I did kick off my shoes to lift.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options

If you lift at home, try it in your socks.
    Some gyms get angry if you take off your shoes.
    One of my gyms, I saw a dude kick off his sneaks all the time for deads. Another, I wouldnt have dared take off my shoes it was so yucky
    And at a 3rd gym, I did kick off my shoes to lift.

My gym is pretty clean and small. I did see a regular there lift in his socks yesterday, and I almost asked him about it. A trainer spotted him, and no one said anything.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wore my chucks today for workout B. Ithey really did make a difference. I felt better connected to the ground, if that makes sense. During DL. And, zero wobble in my squats. Each rep felt stable and solid. Will continue wearing them!
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Flat soled slip on Keds. Got them cheap at a shoe outlet. Sadly, they are almost completely worn out now.....:(
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I lift in my bare feet, but I lift at home. I wore my regular sneakers when I went to the gym. I've been thinking of getting some Chuck's.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Wore my chucks today for workout B. Ithey really did make a difference. I felt better connected to the ground, if that makes sense. During DL. And, zero wobble in my squats. Each rep felt stable and solid. Will continue wearing them!

Good to hear this.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I lift in Converse low tops. I've been tempted to get proper lifting shoes, but I don't feel like I'm serious enough to get them and I don't really want to shell out the cash for them lol
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I lift in my bare feet at home. When I went to the gym, I wore Chucks, but I don't like Chucks. My kids find this to be blasphemy. :laugh: