When mom has a hard time with weaning

Options
Little man is doing ok, I am the one having trouble. He just turned 1 on July 26 and we are now down to 2 feedings - one in the morning when he wakes up and one at night when he goes to bed. Maybe it is because I know he is my last one, but I don't remember being this emotional when I was done nursing my daughter. Or maybe because it was so much harder with her, it was easier to be done.

Replies

• arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    awe i'm sorry. that's TOTALLY normal. I cried about in in the past with my 3rd daughter especially cause she nursed until 21 months. makes me sad that they grow up so fast.
  • AuraJ77
    AuraJ77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are allowed to feel as sad or nostalgic as you want. I actually had a harder time weaning with my first than with my second. My first weaned at 23 months and my second at 27. By that time I was ready to be done!

I had a hard time when my first got tonsillitis just a couple months after weaning and I knew that if I were still breastfeeding I could possibly have helped him out with that.

Cherish the mornings and evenings. And take pictures, even if you are the only one who ever sees them! IMO, it will be something you can look back on and feel good about.
  • TurquoiseViolet
    TurquoiseViolet Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies.

I love the picture idea, going to try that tonight.
  • prplrose33
    prplrose33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am also having a hard time. We are finally down to just one feed a day (in the morning) and I know the end is coming. My little girl is not ready to give up the boob quite yet, but it's time.
  • lizb214
    lizb214 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just curious, why are you weaning? If you're not ready, and your babe isn't ready- why not keep going?
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to make my exit from this group... I weaned my little guy in late May. He did fine because we did it gradually, like it sounds like you're doing, but I got a little emotional thinking about it as we whittled ourselves down to two feedings, then one, because he's my last baby. It's totally normal to be a little sad about it.

However, once we dropped that last feeding, he did fine, and I felt surprisingly good about it. I didn't have the "down in the dumps" feeling that I had been told to expect. I'm not saying I felt awesome or anything, just normal. Getting through the small amount of engorgement was a bit of a pain (cabbage is your friend), but by a couple of weeks, I was fine. I think I was overthinking it and anticipating being super sad when I was really just a little nostalgic over the fact that my youngest baby is not so much of a baby anymore.

Three months out, I don't miss it at all. He still cuddles some, and I think it was the cuddles that I really thought would disappear, but they don't. Cuddles remain in the few moments when he's not being squirmy!

Just enjoy the nursing as much as you can, take pictures if need be, and when you drop the last feeding, try to focus on the things that are good about having your boobs back to yourself again :)
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm not Breastfeeding, but I've been exclusively pumping for my now 9 mo since day 1. I know how you feel. I'm on the weaning process right now by only pumping 3 times a day vs. 4 times a day. I need to have myself weaned by mid-November which is when we go on a family vacation for 8 days to Disney in Florida. I'm done being strapped to my pump everyday. I've been freezing my last pump of the day so he should have enough breastmilk to get him to the 1 year mark. He is my last baby as well and I think that is why I'm having such a hard time thinking about the whole process. ((HUGS))
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    if you're not ready to wean why would you? You can cut back if you need to, but you're allowed to nurse as long as both of you want it.

The world wide weaning age is between 2 and like 4 or something, it's not weird, or unnatural. It's perfect. :)

Full term breastfeeding for the win!!!!

Hugs momma....if you're done, some people make these necklaces that you can send in some of your milk and they make really pretty designs and put it into a pendant.... i plan on doing that when my little one stops...but we are at 2 years plus and going strong, he is no where near ready to stop, but i'm getting to the point where i'm going to start restricting him in a few months. Kid nurses like a newborn.

something like this?

http://breastmilkpendants.blogspot.com/p/breast-milk-pendants.html
  • Mshukh
    Mshukh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm also not quite certain why you feel the need to stop. If you are not ready and bambino is not ready, then just continue. I was being pressured by family to wean around 1 and I decided long ago that if I am ready, I will as my main goal was 1 year. However, my milk production is still there and I will basically continue until he no longer wants to or we need to get pregnant (in case I need to wean for that). Regardless of what you decide though, I'm sending virtual hugs because I think we can all understand how difficult it can be.