Sleeve and Hypothyroidism

Options
I'm in the "shopping around" stage on whether or not a sleeve is for me.

I currently suffer from hypothyroidism, and take 88mcg Synthroid each day. Did any sleeve patients notice change with their thyroids post surgery? Did medication need to be modified?

Replies

• ChefBH
    ChefBH Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i had my thyroid removed due to thyroid cancer 19 years ago. The sleeve shouldn't affect your medication. I've been on 300mcg for years now. but, even if it has to be adjusted..no biggie . good luck!
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease 21 years ago. I was told I would be medicated for life. However after several years my levels were good. I tested every 6 or so months from then and all was good. However I had not tested for about 1 year, starting to trust it had gone. When I had my pre surgery bloods done they noticed my thyroid was again up to it's old tricks. So my endo placed me on Thyronorm and of course with the same advice as I had received 21 years ago....daily for life. But I am due my 3 month post surgery bloods so it will be interesting to see.
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I am on 120mcg of Armour. My levels haven't been tested yet bc I just had the surgery on April 7. My blood work will be done next month so I'm not sure if they're going to adjust it.
  • Wendykay2012
    Options
    I'm on 125mcg levo, and had my surgery on 6/18. I stopped my meds for a few days by dr order and now back on them. I am also wondering if I can on day be med free.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery in October. I have been on 100 mcg of levo for a while. At my 6 month check up, my surgeon said my GP might want to increase my thryoid meds slightly but if not I would be ok. Having hypothryoidism has not affected my weight loss since surgery. I work out 5-6 times a week and I am still averaging 2.5 - 3 lbs per week at 8 1/2 months out.
  • Gardener0
    Gardener0 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My dose of Synthroid has been reduced as I've lost weight. I'm down 63 pounds (55% of the way toward goal) and have gone from 200mcg to 150. My endocrinologist says the dosage is determined by weight; he expects it will continue to decrease. Since I had a thyroidectomy many years ago , I'll always be on this med.
  • spooky228
    spooky228 Posts: 34
    Options
    I have lost almost 80 pounds with the sleeve and my synthroid dose is still the same.
    My thyroid numbers TSH have stayed the same.
  • thoughtaling76
    thoughtaling76 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Had my sleeve surgery 10/26/12 and have lost 134 pounds but my Levo dose has not changed.. Good luck :)
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Congratulations thoughtaling7 on your incredible loss. You have worked very hard. :flowerforyou: