Your exercise fantasy/bucket list

Options
PatrickB_87
PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
I saw this subject posted in the main forms and thought it was a fun idea. Now the people in the main forms seemed to have much loftier goals then I imagine we will but I thought I would give it a go. Now i have prefaced this with fantasy as I know none of this is set in stone and some of us don't like setting these type of goals since missed goals is a sore of disappointment to us all. I also call it fantasy because it's hard to know what you can achieve and what you want to achieve.

But I enjoy fantasizing. Before my long 45 mile bike ride, that trek was a fantasy, something I played with on google maps. But I accomplished it and the same day I was back on google maps exploring routes.

If you don't like exercising, and I can totally understand, and you do it just to help with the weight loss, then ignore this or feel free to point out how crazy some of these are.

I will say that when i started this weight loss journey that I never expected to enjoy the physical workout. I have never been into sports and still am not (how many times does a boy have to spend in the outfield to learn to hate baseball), the only saving grace is I have been able to find things that don't feel like exercise. I enjoy what they give me and I enjoy the challenge (ok ask me that next time I'm doing hills). Maybe some of you have found this too, the challenge and the reward of completing it, the endorphins that come along with it. I'm still the fat sweaty guy and their are still forms of exercise I have no interest in, but whether I stick with it or not my horizons have been opened.

Bucket List:

- 60-70 mile bike ride
- 60-70 mile timed bike ride (usually a charity event)
- Run a 5k (not sure about my knees at this weight, or if I will be able to stand running)
- Get back in the pool
- Do a solo two day bike tour 150-200 miles (maybe Half Moon Bay)
- Complete a triathlon (Sprint or Olympic distance)
- Do a 2 day group tour of the Bay Area Delta (next one is in 2015)

Long term:
- Do a 5-7 day bike tour from San Fransisco to San Clemente, CA (530 miles)

Replies

• KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Love these goals, Pat.

Mine is to swim the Peaks to Portland, four-hour ocean swim, in August next year.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread Pat. I would like to be able to jog the entire way from my house to my parents house total of 6 miles, round trip....!! Then a 5 K run would be great too!!!

Nancy
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My goals are slightly less specific:

I want to be able to run - not a set distance, not a certain speed, not an amount of time - but just to be able to take a step off my porch and run - and enjoy it. I like walking/light jogging in cooler weather, so this heat is KILLING me, but there are so many times, I just want to be able to RUN! I used to do track/cross country in high school, and I hated it with a purple passion. So this is all new to me.

I also want to complete some sort of race running. Not walking, not jogging. RUNNING. Could be a 5K. Doesn't matter specifically.

I want to be able to lift weights decently and gain strength. I don't want to look like a female bodybuilder, but I do want to be able to look in the mirror and say, "Man, I wouldn't want to get on her bad side...her right hook must pack a whollop!" I don't currently have the proper tools to get back into lifting. I have a number of joint problems, but this is still my goal.

I want to be able to hike a mountain. No specific mountain, no specific timing, no set goal I just want to wear myself out to heck and back, be sweating and sore and sunburned and bruised, but be able to sit back and thing, "Hell, yeah! I just DID that. :)"

I want to be able to ride a bike again. I don't currently have access to one, and the way the crappy one at my apartment complex's mini-gym is set up, my belly is in the way, my knees have to flare out like chicken wings to pedal, and I can't take the torque. It is not adjustable enough to make a difference. I want to be able to take a ride like Patrick did, just for the sheer joy of riding.

I want to be able to defend myself and be able to wrestle/workout with my guy. I forgot how many black belts/black sashes he has, but whenever we do workout, he moves so fast I feel like we're in the Matrix. I want to be able to hold my own. This is a HUGE goal for me, but I can't figure out the path to get there.

I want to play softball or volleyball again, and be fit enough to truly enjoy it. I used to - and I wasn't even that fit back when.

What is wacky to me about making this list is that ALL of those things seem like a fantasy from someone else's life. Even the sports I used to do, that was more than 20 years ago. The memories don't even seem like mine. As related to that previous post I made about not having a point of reference, so having a hard time reaching out toward an unknown goal is right in my face. But I'm a gung-ho, PITA, all or nothing kind of gal. Setting small goals or doing something halfway undermines what little determination, inspiration, and chutzpah I might possess. Not sure how to navigate this one.

Thanks for getting my mind going, Patrick and all....

Hugs, C in OK
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Everyone has some great bucket list exercises. I hadn't really thought much about it until now but here we go.

I would like to join the 1500 pound club (lift a combined 1500 pounds from the squat, deadlift and bench). Back in my lifting heyday I made it a little past 1300, but it is a mark I would like to hit.

I would like to be able to complete a half marathon.

I would like to play basketball for hours without getting extremely winded like I used to in high school.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My goals are slightly less specific:

I want to be able to run - not a set distance, not a certain speed, not an amount of time - but just to be able to take a step off my porch and run - and enjoy it. I like walking/light jogging in cooler weather, so this heat is KILLING me, but there are so many times, I just want to be able to RUN! I used to do track/cross country in high school, and I hated it with a purple passion. So this is all new to me.

I also want to complete some sort of race running. Not walking, not jogging. RUNNING. Could be a 5K. Doesn't matter specifically.

I want to be able to lift weights decently and gain strength. I don't want to look like a female bodybuilder, but I do want to be able to look in the mirror and say, "Man, I wouldn't want to get on her bad side...her right hook must pack a whollop!" I don't currently have the proper tools to get back into lifting. I have a number of joint problems, but this is still my goal.

I want to be able to hike a mountain. No specific mountain, no specific timing, no set goal I just want to wear myself out to heck and back, be sweating and sore and sunburned and bruised, but be able to sit back and thing, "Hell, yeah! I just DID that. :)"

I want to be able to ride a bike again. I don't currently have access to one, and the way the crappy one at my apartment complex's mini-gym is set up, my belly is in the way, my knees have to flare out like chicken wings to pedal, and I can't take the torque. It is not adjustable enough to make a difference. I want to be able to take a ride like Patrick did, just for the sheer joy of riding.

I want to be able to defend myself and be able to wrestle/workout with my guy. I forgot how many black belts/black sashes he has, but whenever we do workout, he moves so fast I feel like we're in the Matrix. I want to be able to hold my own. This is a HUGE goal for me, but I can't figure out the path to get there.

I want to play softball or volleyball again, and be fit enough to truly enjoy it. I used to - and I wasn't even that fit back when.

What is wacky to me about making this list is that ALL of those things seem like a fantasy from someone else's life. Even the sports I used to do, that was more than 20 years ago. The memories don't even seem like mine. As related to that previous post I made about not having a point of reference, so having a hard time reaching out toward an unknown goal is right in my face. But I'm a gung-ho, PITA, all or nothing kind of gal. Setting small goals or doing something halfway undermines what little determination, inspiration, and chutzpah I might possess. Not sure how to navigate this one.

Thanks for getting my mind going, Patrick and all....

Hugs, C in OK

I think everything you listed sounds both wonderful and is achievable. Maybe not all at this moment or as completely as you want but I think you can do it. I don;t think you have to see smaller goals as only doing something halfway. I certainly get the all or nothing attitude. Maybe you can find a way to set a goal that is smaller and builds to the final one that still challenges you. So pick an aspect of the goal you think you can make and then push it a little further so you will fell the challenge. I set my goal for 27 but did 18 more, that way it feels like I am accomplishing something more. If you make each exercise towards the goal a challenge it might not feel like your wasting your effort or that your failing the larger dream.
  • mrshadsall
    mrshadsall Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I work for a police department, and most of the officers are crazy-fit. My fitness bucket list item is being able to do the police obstacle course. Preferably in better time than at least some of the new police recruits. :0p
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    mrshadsall - that is an excellent goal!! Let us know if we can help you on that path at all!!
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Mine is to swim the Peaks to Portland, four-hour ocean swim, in August next year.

I love this idea, Karen. I just got back into swimming and I'm from New Hampshire...so I'll have to check it out.

Pat, love this thread idea...fitness rather than dress size or something material.

My Bucket List:
    *Run a 5K--actually run the whole thing, not just jog/walk.
    *Complete a 10K
    *Triathalon
    (Are you sensing a pattern here?)
    *Hike all the trails in NH State Park System
    *Get back into my tennis playing shape--I was on JV and Varsity tennis in high school, playing both doubles and singles. I was great at it and won a lot. I'd like to get back into tennis competitively again.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    What is wacky to me about making this list is that ALL of those things seem like a fantasy from someone else's life. Even the sports I used to do, that was more than 20 years ago. The memories don't even seem like mine.

I totally get this. This is exactly how I feel. I was just thinking about how when I was on the tennis team that we'd practice for 2 hours, have our matches (which for me was at least 2 single matches and 2 doubles) and then I'd come home and go for a jog because I was still bursting with energy. Who was this person? Also, why was I still so fat if I was doing all this exercise? Eating obviously. But it's important to remember that it was you (us) and we can get back there again. It might not look exactly the same as it did before, but that's ok. And better yet, I took that athleticism for granted when I was thinner, but I won't now.
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    *Get back into my tennis playing shape--I was on JV and Varsity tennis in high school, playing both doubles and singles. I was great at it and won a lot. I'd like to get back into tennis competitively again.

It is great to have another tennis player on here! I wish you the best of luck with your goals.
  • amys505
    amys505 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would love to be in shape enough to play roller derby. That would make me feel like the toughest/ most incredible woman in the world. I'm a long way from there right now, though!