Post run cyanosis?

Options
AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
Hello!

Some background - I am currently halfway through training for the Chicago Marathon, which will be my first marathon.

I ran my 5th half marathon this past weekend and raced it as it was part of my training plan.

My previous PR was 2:24:57, I finished this one in 2:11:21. It was a very difficult course with an especially large hill at 8 1/2 miles. I did walk that hill but ran the rest of the course (as opposed to my previous PR, where the second half of the course was hilly and I ended up walk/running the second half because my calf was hurting with the hills - I only walked the very large crazy hill this time and had no calf pain!).I am very proud of my effort this weekend because while my second half was slightly slower than my first half (again, due to the aforementioned hill) my splits were generally very even, +/- 10 seconds the entire time absent the hill mile which was a 10:17. I didn't quite make my time goal of sub 2:10 but I came close and the course was much more difficult than expected.

However, my question is - when I crossed the finish line, my friend's husband told me "Your lips are blue!" This was not from blue gatorade as I stuck to water. I am a little concerned; this was pretty close to the pace I use for my pace runs (I slowed down a little the second half unfortunately, but I definitely could tell the pace runs helped me keep an even keel through most of the race) and it was an August evening so not cold. I have never had blue lips at the end of a run before. Any input?

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I would say that is definitely a doctor question, and one you should get answered before you progress much farther in your training for the full.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I agree that this is definitely a doctor question. That's very odd and worrisome :/
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I get this too. People always tell me I have blue lips. It only happens after a run. I also shiver and get cold even when it's warm outside. I've been told that its likely the body reacting to the stress of the run by moving blood flow to the organs and away from the extremities.

BUT...you should ask your doctor because it could be a more serious problem.
  • DantheMan2517
    DantheMan2517 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's called "shunting" and occurs in other stressful situations that occur in the body. Blood is diverted to organs of highest priority such as the brain, lungs and heart muscle. You've all heard of the "fight or flight" response, right? It has something to do with this concept, although not entirely.

During endurance running, blood is likely being diverted to your lungs and heart muscle to meet increased oxygen requirements. Blood is diverted away from the skin and tertiary organs to the core organs.

You might've noticed yourself shivering or feeling a little cold after your long runs?
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I was a little freaked when I made this thread yesterday, but I called my pcp this morning and according to the nurse he wasn't concerned, I have no history and had no other symptoms - felt fine, not cold, not shakey, no blood sugar issues, no shortness of breath, nada. The finish line was in a stadium and my friend suggested it was the lighting, because I saw my husband less than a minute after my friend's husband met me at the finish line and he didn't notice any unusual colouring - by the time I grabbed food and sat down to take a look in my cameraphone a couple minutes later my colouring was 100% back to normal.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It's called "shunting" and occurs in other stressful situations that occur in the body. Blood is diverted to organs of highest priority such as the brain, lungs and heart muscle. You've all heard of the "fight or flight" response, right? It has something to do with this concept, although not entirely.

During endurance running, blood is likely being diverted to your lungs and heart muscle to meet increased oxygen requirements. Blood is diverted away from the skin and tertiary organs to the core organs.

You might've noticed yourself shivering or feeling a little cold after your long runs?

Yep. When I ran the Rock N Roll Raleigh, it was hot as hell. Black asphalt, no shade, hot day, lots of hills. Yet by mile 11 I am shivering. Because my poor body was trying to cool me off (didnt happen until I climbed into my tub of ice lol). I had goosebumps, which freaked out my friend. Running does strange things to our bodies lol:ohwell:
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options

Yep. When I ran the Rock N Roll Raleigh, it was hot as hell. Black asphalt, no shade, hot day, lots of hills. Yet by mile 11 I am shivering. Because my poor body was trying to cool me off (didnt happen until I climbed into my tub of ice lol). I had goosebumps, which freaked out my friend. Running does strange things to our bodies lol:ohwell:

I ran that one..still have nightmares about it. haha! You know a course is tough when you look at something like City of Oaks (1200 ft climb) or 20 miles at Umstead (1500 ft climb) and think "wow,this looks easy!"