My mom gave me a goal.

Options
I don't talk to my mom often but Hubby is encouraging me to reach out more while he's gone because he thinks I'll need company. Its not healthy for me to get too close so I'm still trying to maintain some distance.

Last time I saw her, she had dropped a lot of weight in a short amount of time because apparently she is allergic to everything. So she gave me her fat clothes.

I've been wearing size 22/24 pants that are starting to get a bit loose. She gave me two pairs of pants that are currently too small for me. I could tell by her tone that she doesn't think I'll ever fit them so of course I have to prove her wrong. One pair is size 18 brown corduroys the other is a gorgeous pair of size 16 pants.

So for the first time since high school I have a clothing goal. I would love to be able to wear them before winter is over. Does anyone know about how many pounds equals a size?

Replies

• carostad
    carostad Posts: 161
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I like comfy clothes. I'm allergic to metal, so most jeans won't work for me. I get an awful rash where the button touches my tummy. So, I pretty much have only ever worn elastic waists, even when I was skinny. Except when I was in high school and just dealt with an itchy, scabby belly, because, you know, nothing came between me and my Calvins. But I digress...

I've lost 50 pounds and only come down one size. I started at 24/26. I'm currently in 22s, I think, and they're just starting to get loose. It may be different if you wear fitted clothes, but most of my things have some give and take to them. I think many clothes over size 20 are intentionally designed that way.

I anticipate that the lower my weight gets, the smaller the range in sizing will get. But I don't really know what weight a 16 will be. 170 ish?

I'll tell you this, though, if my mother gave me her "fat clothes" I think I'd burn them. The concept of "I'll show her" could totally blow up in your face and become "I can't even wear my mother's fat clothes after 6 months. I'm such a failure. Where's that plate of brownies?"

I don't know, something about it just feels toxic to me. Be really sure that's a goal you're comfortable setting for yourself and do it for *you*, not her. My mother's voice in my head is just awful to me and I work hard just to keep her mouth shut. If your inner (healthy) voice is saying keep your distance, there's probably a good reason. For me, and most people I know, weight loss is such an emotional journey, it's best to proceed cautiously if something may be a trigger for you.

(Hugs)

Caroline
  • beachgirl613
    beachgirl613 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'd also probably burn the fat clothes my mom gave me. My mom and I also have had a rocky relationship and are getting along better now. With that being said, I know that if she had lost a ton of weight and gave me her fat clothes, I would have felt it was like her taunting me like "ha ha, I'm skinnier than you. There's no way you'll ever fit in these."

I'm also very self conscious and oddly I don't like being told "wow you've lost weight" as I don't like being the center of attention. Just tell me you like my top or something.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I won't go into the potential toxicity/competition aspect, but I will tell you this. Sizes are more about inches than pounds. Because if you are gaining muscle but losing fat, you could still weigh the same or actually gain pounds, but be smaller. Two and a half years ago, I lost 50 pounds and shrunk quite a bit. Then, over the intervening years, I gained back about 22 pounds.

When I lost the first "round" of weight, I did so primarily through food restriction/calorie counting/etc. This time around I have combined food and exercise. I am a size smaller in clothing than I was the last time I was at this weight. So weight isn't the number to look for - but rather overall fitness and health, combined with exercise to whittle down your numbers.

I realized one day that I had dropped 24 pounds since February (when I rebooted) - and I had also lost 24 inches!! It was crazy. I was shocked. I've been "off the wagon" for a while now, but I'm getting moving again and trying to beat the heat. Being on BP meds and such finally has given me the freedom to be less scared to push now....

Good luck!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I get where you are coming from, but I also agree that you don't want your good, positive, healthy new life to be linked in anyway whatsoever to someone who may have "fat shamed" you. I think criticism from our parents hurts the worst. I think if you want to get down to a size 16, you just need to get there without feeling like you need to fit in these clothes to show her. Go buy a pretty dress or something else that is linked just to you and your journey. Not to her and her negative views.

As for sizing, it is so different with everyone. I have noticed, the taller you are, I think it takes longer to drop a size. My theory is tall people (like me) have more inches vertical to work with and lose so they can lose 20lbs to drop a size where someone who is 5'2" may only have to lose 10.

Carly is right about the working out too. The tighter your muscles get, the inches will melt off even if the scale doesn't budge. I have lost about 50 or so since April and dropped 4 sizes. However, my next 2 sizes probably won't change until I drop another 30. So after 80lbs, I will probably drop 6 sizes. But, I am 5'10".
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you this, though, if my mother gave me her "fat clothes" I think I'd burn them. The concept of "I'll show her" could totally blow up in your face and become "I can't even wear my mother's fat clothes after 6 months. I'm such a failure. Where's that plate of brownies?"

I don't know, something about it just feels toxic to me. Be really sure that's a goal you're comfortable setting for yourself and do it for *you*, not her. My mother's voice in my head is just awful to me and I work hard just to keep her mouth shut. If your inner (healthy) voice is saying keep your distance, there's probably a good reason. For me, and most people I know, weight loss is such an emotional journey, it's best to proceed cautiously if something may be a trigger for you.

(Hugs)

Caroline

I really don't want to discourage you; but, I'm sorry, I have to agree with Caroline. Maybe it's different for you but my mother has always been very critical of me. I can never lose enough for her and even if I lose quite a bit it's never fast enough. My mother would continually throw the clothes in my face....have you gotten in to my "fat clothes" yet, taking you a long time to get into the, etc. Not to mention what I'd be doing to myself mentally after her cutting me down. It has taken me many years to get to the point where my mom's opinions don't matter (though I must confess occasionally she still gets to me but it's fewer and farther between). Like I said, maybe your different but it just worries me. You have had such awesome progress and I would really hate to see you regress. Just food for thought and my opinions. Like I said, I don't want to discourage you and I will support always support you.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think the rule of thumb is 10lbs but thats a rather loose rule of thumb. People tend to loose in different places in different ways. My pant size (around my waist and not my natural waistline, I can't say I often wear pants to my belly button) has shrunk quite a bit from a 52 to 46, but my shirt size has stayed the same (which really annoys me but it will budge eventually).

Seems their is a consensus around what you should let your motivations to be for this challenge. If you think it can hurt you rather then help then I might try something difference. I have purchased myself a shirt wich is one size smaller and am working to fit comfortable into that.
  • carostad
    carostad Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm feeling bad about sounding too judgey with my response. If it makes you feel good, work for those pants! My main thought is you need to feel good. That's it. Just you. Not you mom. Not me. Just. You.

You can do this! With or without those pants....
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I agree with what other posters have said about it being about inches rather than pounds...but I know what you're getting at. I think for smaller sizes it's something like 10lbs, but for larger sizes I think it ends up being something more like 15-20lbs. I guess that's because generally when you're thinner you lose more from your stomach where your final fat stores are wheras when you're heavier you're losing fat from everywhere so to get down a dress size means you need to lose more weight in order to lose more from your midsection.

While I don't know if I'd take this advice or not, I'd get rid of the clothes your mom gave you. That's some bad juju. And also, my mom's got horrible style. All of her fat clothes were so dated and from a time when fat people weren't allowed to look nice. Maybe your mom has better style though.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    There isn't really a correlation between how many pounds you have to lose to go down a size. We all carry our weight in different places and it does not come off everywhere at once. Also sizes are not the same from designer to designer, so one size 16 will not be the same as another.

Personally as I've lost weight I've taken clothes from anyone willing to help. I stared in size 26/28 pants and I'm down to size 16. The next ones I buy will probably be 14s. I've been trying to minimize the cost of my transition wardrobe, so I've been trying to get away with wearing tops as long as I can and the fewest pairs of pants that I can get away with. I've been offered clothes by others several times, and I've always taken them. Even if they aren't something I would have chosen for myself, I will wear them while they fit, and then donate them forward.

Don't let your mother set your goal. You set the goal you want. It can be a clothing size, a weight or some other health related goal, but setting your own goals is part of the process. You need to own this healthy lifestyle change and you need to want it. There have been days where that want was the only thing helping me get up to exercise or keeping me from stuffing my face. If it had been some externally set goal, I would have given up months ago.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    ^^ THIS! Said so eloquently!!!