Need Encouragement

Options
steph_13484
steph_13484 Posts: 10 Member
I had my sleeve surgery February 6, 2013 I have lost 70 pounds and recently have put back on 8 pounds. I eat bad a lot of the time, and I know its wrong but do it anyway. I haven't been exercising lately because I hurt my back, I thought my back problems were gone now that I started losing weight. I really would just like a menu to follow, if anybody has any suggestions please feel free to send my way. I would like to lose another 50-70 pounds.

Replies

• JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've heard people talking about the 5 day pouch test, it really takes you back to the basics.
    http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html
  • steph_13484
    Options
    Thank you, that's what I was considering going back to the beginning to just get my body on the move of losing.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You could try taking a look at some people are loosing and are active on the forum. I sometimes look at open food diary when I need some new ideas about what to eat. Also- going for pre packaged portioned food like lean cuisine, dannon light and fit yogurt ect may help. It's expensive, and the sodium content can be high - but it can also make it easier to get your eating under control and back on an accurate calorie count. Sometimes I'm just too tired to weigh and measure and I just have a "boxed lunch" day where everything is already portioned out.
  • steph_13484
    Options
    I do eat Dannon light and fit cherry yogurt almost everyday but I always add fruit to it!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Personally, I cannot get away from weighing and measuring my food. To make it easier though, I try to do a lot of pre-cooking and measuring, like I might cook a bunch of chicken breast, measure it out in 3-4 oz portions, freeze it, and just grab it as I need to. I do the same with turkey chili, make a batch, portion it, and freeze it. I will also buy items that are already a good portion size for me, for example, chicken sausage from Trader Joe's, or I buy veggie burgers (some are pretty good on the protein!), things like that. I buy the already cooked and peeled hard boiled eggs from Costco. I even measure out portions of frozen veggies, and then I can just grab a portion of them and a portion of chicken and there's my lunch for work, or dinner. I tend to stay away pre-packaged food to avoid sodium, sugar and carbs. I am 10 months out and I still stick to the plan my surgeon gave me - protein first, then veggies or fruit if I have room.
  • steph_13484
    Options
    I do really well during the day eating the right things and not too much. Its when I get home and I am taking my daughter to Cheerleading, Dance and Gymnastics and we don't get done until 7:30-8:00. I don't want to cook so we eat out or I eat junk when I get home.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Go back to the beginning, liquids for a few days, then pureed, then soft. Figure out your calories for the day and break them down into 6 small meals. You are less likely to snack in the evenings if you still have one more meal to eat. I find on days when I'm battling head hunger if I eat the protein portion of my dinner at dinner and then wait an hour or two to eat a salad, I don't snack in the evening, no room (lettuce really fills me). Also, I find it hard to get all my calories in on days I really drink all 64 ounces of water. So make sure you get all your water in too.

I'm 3 years out and I still weigh and measure everything I eat at home. Even if I have room in my calories for my favorite popcorn, I measure it out. If not, I way over eat it. My food log is open to my friends if you want to see it.

Good luck. The surgery is a tool. Once you go back to using your tool, the weight will start coming off again.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You have gottna a lot of good suggestions re: the food part, so I am going to address commitment. When I have the option to eat properly (for me that = protein, veg first, fruit or whole grains if I have any room), or to eat junk I need to decide in that moment what I am committed to. If I am committed to weight loss, to my own health, and to meeting my nutritional needs, I will choose to eat properly. If I am committed to feeding my emotions (or numbing them), doing what is easiest, or eating mindlessly, I will eat junk. For me, it is about commitment. Best of luck to you! Keep checking in-- this is a wonderful , supportive group.
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Did you work with a Dietician at your clinic before? If you did I would suggested making an appointment to see him/her. I sure value the help I get from my Clinic's entire staff, I know if I needed help or support they would be the people I would consult with. As you said, sometimes having a pre-made-out meal plan is better, there is no guess work. Give your clinic a call and
    get some help from them. They know your history best. I am betting they want you to be successful. Wishing you all the best at getting back on track. We all understand....
  • Latse
    Latse Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If staying on track is hardest at night because of your schedule try a weekend cook day, were you get the meals togeather for the week. I make a weekly dinner menu and pull out anything that needs to defrost, make up any cassarolles so they can just be popped in the oven, make soup/chili so it can be heated up as needed. All the prep is done over the weekend so when I get home and am tired I don't have to think of something to make for dinner, it is all there waiting to be cooked or warmed up. Crockpot meals are also great, along with leftovers, sometimes we will eat the same thing 3 nights in a row, just heating it back up.

Also like Pawoodhull said, get that water it, on the days I don't drink enough water I find myself making poor food choices late at night.

Even though your back is bothering you, activity is vital to your success, if you have access to a pool, swimming or walking in water might reduce the amount of pain you feel with exercise.

One more thing if you are getting home really late because of sports, try packing a healthy snack to munch on, something like a little bag of nuts, beef jerky, a quest bar, something that can be thrown in your purse and travel well.
  • steph_13484
    Options
    Thank you to everybody, I am not much of a cooker but maybe I can get some help from my mom and try to make some pre-made meals and freeze. I am debating on going to a chiropractor for my back, really hate to spend the money on it but it has been bothering me for a month. I started walking with my daughter and now that cheerleading started I will be walking on the track while she is doing that. Just helps getting suggestions and pushes sometimes. Thanks again!!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You can do this :)

I think that there are some really good tips here.

One of the most important things for me is to have food that I like and should eat at home - low fat cheese sticks, grilled chicken breast tenders (I grill 2 lbs on Sunday and munch through the week), light deli meats, etc. If you aren't into cooking, get a rotisserie chicken on Sunday and eat it throughout the week: plain, in a wrap, mixed with light mayo, chopped and stir fried, chopped and mixed with taco seasoning.

Focus on getting in protein and watch the carbs.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Steph, I'm not much of a cook anymore either as I live alone. I also had the same problem when I was younger with a daughter in both cheerleading and fast-pitch softball. Particularly in softball we were busy 4-5 times a week with either practice or double-headers. I had to go straight to her activity from work and didn't have any time to stop off at home to grab something to eat. The last thing you want to do after you get home is fix something to eat at 9 o'clock or after.

I always have light cheese sticks, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, tuna, Tyson breast grillers (just warm them in microwave), a variety of protein bars and my protein shake mix on hand. The protein shake is 30g of protein and the bars I have are 20g/protein. There are also a lot of 100 calorie individual packages of products now from cereal/crackers to fruit/veggies that would be easy to take when on the run. I have also found 35 calorie whole grain bread that tastes like bread should (Aunt Millie's).
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I buy fish in portions. You can get at the regular groceries, and Trader Joe's has it. If you pull out of freezer and put in fridge in the morning, it will be defrosted by the time you get home and fish takes about 5minutes to poach, unless the piece is very thick. A portion will be in the 3 to 4 oz range. Put a little frozen veggie into another saucepan (or even in with the fish) and you'll have a fish/veggie meal in only a few minutes. That's less time than it takes to find a fast food place, wait for the order and pay for it and it's way cheaper and healthier.

I'm the queen of quick cooking. I have a bad back and can't stand for very long on a lot of days, so have learned to pull a meal together in a minute or two.

And don't forget your slow cooker. Toss the ingredients into it in the morning and by the time you and the family get home, dinner is ready. Don't get fancy. Buy the meat or chicken cubed already and slow cook with frozen veggies and some seasonings. Take all the money you save from not hitting the fast food places and buy yourself a treat at the end of the month.
  • steph_13484
    Options
    Thank You, great suggestions now I just need to put them to use and not make excuses when I am getting home so late during the week! :-)
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Thank You, great suggestions now I just need to put them to use and not make excuses when I am getting home so late during the week! :-)

I do most of the cooking in our house, and I have a few 'go to' easy meals that I can shop for on the way home and whip up for the family. The requirements are 1) relatively cheap, 2) quick and easy to prepare and 3) minimize pots and pans for cleanup.

I am sure I will figure out some of these for the post surgery regime. One I have developed for pre surgery has been Fish soup. I buy 8 oz of a white fish (cod or tilapia usually), some reduced sodium broth and a bunch of fresh spinach. Big sautee pan, 2 cups of broth and some miso or other seasoning, a bunch of raw spinach and the raw fish on top of the spinach. Cover, heat on medium for about 10 minutes until steam is coming out of the pan, and it's done. Light flaky fish, wilted spinach and a flavorful broth that I can customize based on what I put in the pan. 10 minutes, zero chopping or prep. Perfect!

Quick and healthy meals are possible with a little creativity!

Rob
  • arh0317
    arh0317 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I do most of the cooking in our house, and I have a few 'go to' easy meals that I can shop for on the way home and whip up for the family. The requirements are 1) relatively cheap, 2) quick and easy to prepare and 3) minimize pots and pans for cleanup.

I am sure I will figure out some of these for the post surgery regime. One I have developed for pre surgery has been Fish soup. I buy 8 oz of a white fish (cod or tilapia usually), some reduced sodium broth and a bunch of fresh spinach. Big sautee pan, 2 cups of broth and some miso or other seasoning, a bunch of raw spinach and the raw fish on top of the spinach. Cover, heat on medium for about 10 minutes until steam is coming out of the pan, and it's done. Light flaky fish, wilted spinach and a flavorful broth that I can customize based on what I put in the pan. 10 minutes, zero chopping or prep. Perfect!

Quick and healthy meals are possible with a little creativity!

Rob

Sounds good Rob! Maybe a variation of this will be good in the next phase for me (soft) since I'll be able to add some fish.
  • dizzybellRN
    dizzybellRN Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am still a newbie, but I take jerky or grilled/roasted chicken in a ziplock and a RTD protein shake with me wherever I go in case I get hungry. It's really hard, but you need to detox off simple carbs to kick the cravings. I don't like the idea of a "pouch test" because we don't have pouches! Just increase your protein and keep your carbs low- like 40 grams or less- for a few days and the cravings will subside and you should jumpstart your weight loss. You can do this!

Keri
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    You know you have a busy life so you have to have a plan. At the office I keep a stock of protein shakes, bars, slim Jim minis, cheese sticks, 100 cal nut packs and a few cans of lentil soup.
    At home I have canned tuna, chicken, salmon, and chili always on hand. Plain yogurt and vanilla Greek yogurt. Chicken asiago spinach sausages from SAMs club. I keep them in freezer and pop one out when I need one they thaw in seconds in the micro. I also have frozen mixed veg. I can slice up a sausage and stir fry it with the veggies in olive oil.
    Sounds like you are still medicating with food. Consider therapy. You have to love you enough to be sad, bored,angry, happy and just accept those feelings and not eat. The feelings will pass. You can do this. You are worth it.
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    LOG LOG LOG..................it is my saving grace. I log all food,,,even if I have the occasional taboo food, it is logged. The reason I do this is that in the past with diets, if I slipped up once I convinced myself that 'oh well I have slipped up, so might as well go the whole hog". Always a bad habit. But with the sleeve and logging every day, I know that it does not have to be a failure DAY. It can just be a treat instead and I can get on with the day or night as normal. Often when we do have something taboo,,when we log, we compensate for it by being much more careful for the rest of the day and make sure our numbers stay within or close to our limits,,,even after that "treat".
    So basically, a small blow out does not dictate a full blow out. LOG LOG LOG :-)