Getting sleeved today

Options
tcdouglas
tcdouglas Posts: 11 Member
Getting my sleeve done today. Sitting in the pre-op room waiting for them to wheel me in. Wondering what other people were thinking as they were waiting to be taken in for the surgery?

Replies

• acturney
    acturney Posts: 19
    Options
    Good luck! Hope everything goes well and you have a speedy recovery. :)
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    I was absolutely terrified and shaking as I lay on the table.
    Now,,,,,as for you,,,,,,,,,,,,,this is THE day. So excited for you. It all starts now. HUGS.............
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about running!! LOL :laugh:
  • wendyp1000
    Options
    I was thinking, wow - I'm getting used to all of this hospital stuff. The controlled chaos, flitting by me as nurses walk quickly to complete this or that. As you get older, the whole "Oh my god, they might see me naked" stuff just disappears. You begin to realize that they must do this stuff 100 times a week ... and yet it is so very important to me! Just close your eyes and rest and wait...

Visualize yourself 3 months from now ... hopefully that helps make you calmer ... Good luck!
    Wendy
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was praying for an easy surgery/recovery and all the rest of what you think about and worry about. God answered my prayers, surgery was uneventful, recovery much easier than I expected and so far, the whole procedure has been wonderfully successful.

Praying all the same for you today!

Pat
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I was thinking, "I better wake up later!." Then even asked me, "what are you expecting to have happen today?" and my answer was, "that I wake up!" Of course, I did wake up and at almost 2 weeks out, I'm feeling pretty good!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I was thinking, wow - I'm getting used to all of this hospital stuff. The controlled chaos, flitting by me as nurses walk quickly to complete this or that. As you get older, the whole "Oh my god, they might see me naked" stuff just disappears. You begin to realize that they must do this stuff 100 times a week ... and yet it is so very important to me! Just close your eyes and rest and wait...

Visualize yourself 3 months from now ... hopefully that helps make you calmer ... Good luck!
    Wendy

I can speak for all Nurses, if we never have to look at a strangers crotch again it won't be too soon. :)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    My husband has a terror of hospitals so I just asked him to drop me off. I was in a bariatric study so Joseph my lovely research tech was there to observe and collect all my tissue samples during my surgery. He took my pre surgery photo I have on my profile. I hope that someday I bump into him again. He was one of the sweetest guys I have ever met. Really great with patients. It was nice to have someone I knew since they take away your contacts and I am blind as a bat :) I just wanted it over.
  • tcdouglas
    Options
    Thanks everybody.... Went well. Only problem is this darn shoulder pain but I'll live... I was actual laying there earlier when I typed this just wanting to get it done and over with. I'm not really a modest person so I wasn't worried about them seeinge naked... Only thing I said to the anesthesiologist was make sure I don't know anything...all in all I'm very excited. Like I told my friend this morning this is like a new beginning for me. As someone who has been overweight my entire life I'm really ready for this next part I my journey
  • acturney
    acturney Posts: 19
    Options
    Glad everything went well! Excited for you and you're new life!
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Glad you are feeling pretty good. Walking helps with the shoulder pain. You seem to be in good spirits with a positive outlook.
  • dizzybellRN
    dizzybellRN Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey! Congratulations for getting it done. Walk as soon as your able, it really does help!

Keri
  • oStephhanie
    oStephhanie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on 7/16/14- and my boyfriend was really good at keeping me distracted - we took a million silly selfies waiting for the doc to come back and get me.

And when I got to the OR, I was laughing and joking with the nurses to make myself feel easier, even did a little dance in my purple paper robe when walking from one bed to the surgery table.

Walk as soon as you can, I was doing laps in the hospital right about 2 hours after I was out of recovery, it really does make you feel better!
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I am so grateful that the surgery is behind you now and you are beginning your recovery and your new life. Please feel free to friend me if you like. My surgery is coming up in the next few months. I'll know more tomorrow at my 6 month pre-op check in.
    Take good care of yourself and keep us posted on your progress. There is a lot of support on this site. :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have heard a lot of people mention shoulder pain.
    I was curious from what?
    I totally understand having pain in your stomach/abdomen area.
    Ive even heard others mention pain in other parts of their body...Im just curious where that comes from, I mean yikes, what are they doing to you in there?!?
    :huh: :ohwell: :huh: :ohwell:
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    I was thinking about running!! LOL :laugh:
    Oh dang!
    I haven't mastered running w/ 1 leg after they take my crutches from me :laugh:
    I guess its too late to start practicing now...someone should've prompted me a long time ago, its gonna take more than a couple wks to master the technique of sprinting :tongue:
    I don't have much time :tongue:
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options

Wendy

How much is "older?!?"
    Im 40 and I had lots of surgeries in my school yrs and Im still standoffish on what I do/don't wish for Anyone to see.
    When I was in 5th grade and waking up to a full body that I had to wear for a full yr, I refused to allow a male to put me on a bed pan.
    When I had the (required) stomach test done a few months ago to prepare for this surgery to be done, I had to use the bathroom, I insisted that I use the toilet by myself (no bed pans & no eyes watching me in the bathroom)!
    I don't care how professional or how many private parts they've seen...its a NO for me!
    Thank goodness when I was having that done that all I had to do was remove my shirt to put on the hospital gown, they reassured me that everything else could stay on :bigsmile:
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The pain in the shoulder is a "referred pain", meaning that it originates from elsewhere in the body. It comes from the carbon dioxide gas that is introduced into the abdomen through the belly button. The surgeon does this to distend the belly and make it easier to visualize the structures inside the abdomen. At the end of the surgery, the gas is allowed to escape, but it is impossible to get all of it out. Often it gets trapped under the diaphragm, and that causes the pain. Walking, moving are helpful, but really, until you pass it or the body absorbs it, you kind of just have to tough it out. Fortunately it doesn't last very long. I think I had it for about 8 hours after surgery, and it gradually went away.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Glad you're on the other side! Believe it or not, the shoulder pain is likely gas. Get up and move as much as possible and try some GassEx strips.
  • tcdouglas
    Options
    Thanks for all your kind words... 1st day post-op. Got home about 4 hours ago... Took a nap and got up and walked... Still having a hard time getting fluids down. I'm worried I won't be able to take n enough... I brought six of the isopure drinks since they are thin and have 40g of protein per bottle but can't get much of that down... They only thing I seem able to remotely tolerate is warm tea ( and even with that just a few sips here and there)... Any suggestions??? Did anyone else go through this?