Wheat Belly book

Options
dhencel
dhencel Posts: 244 Member
I have been reading this book and it has a part on Celiac disease... One point that it makes is that Celiacs often substitute gluten free items for regular wheat products and think that they are better for them.. Not really.. still has the Carbs in it.. They did a study and Obese Celiacs did not lose weight because they were eating the Gluten free versions of cookies, cakes, breads, etc.. so I will be watching the gluten free items in my diet more closely....I try to limit the breads to one serving a day...might have to amend that to lose some pounds.....
I have also had some excess bloating.. I bought simethicone at Walmart--generic Gas X-- and it really helps....

Replies

• Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The excess bloating will go away if you knock out too much processed stuff in my experience
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    The trick is in not substituting GF crap for wheat crap. Cookies, cakes, donuts, etc. No one really needs those things. Learn a new way of cooking that makes treats from fresh fruits, nuts, and dairy if you can tolerate it.
  • dhencel
    Options
    I have always been aware of my weight since I was a teenager.. One way I learned was to have only one serving of bread, cake, cookies, etc each day.... I did very well at limiting them... Now that I am older and have gone thru menopause and have Celiac, I had gained a few pounds.. I do very well at limiting the bad foods and my MFP conscience won't let me have them too often.....
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    When we first went GF we simply tried to duplicate our grain heavy processed food diet in the GF world. It was a disaster. I put on 20 lbs, our grocery bill tripled, and most of it tasted terrible. Since those dark early days we've switched over to eating simpler foods, more fruits and veggies, lean meats etc... I've lost 40 lbs, our grocery bill is substantially lower and everything we eat tastes good.

We do get some very tasty GF pastries from a local bakery occasionally because well... they're dang tasty!
  • dhencel
    Options
    Most of the gluten free foods were bad in 2007 when I was diagnosed.. Now, they are better and a larger variety to choose from...But they are expensive....so I try to only get the foods that I really need and let the cakes, cookies, etc stay on the store shelf.....
  • Soggynode
    Options
    My wife was diagnosed in 2009. You are right, the choices back then were pretty slim. We have a really good GF store near us that stocks a lot of items we buy now. It's still crazy expensive but since we've cut out a lot of the packaged stuff it's at least manageable now.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    The only specific Gluten Free products I buy are a loaf of bread a month from a lady with Celiac disease who bakes commercially for our local Nutter's Health Food Store, and Bragg's Aminos, and Nature's Path Organic Mesa Sunrise Cereal. $8.50 a loaf for Irene's gluten free Cheese & Onion Bread. Sometimes for a change I buy Udi's Omega 3 Flaxbread. All my other foods are just naturally gluten free and/or unprocessed/made from scratch. So for us, it's not all that expensive. I never baked before I went GF anyway. If I had, my hubby would weigh 250 lbs as he loves blueberry pie and lemon poppyseed muffins and would eat them at every meal if they were around.
  • dhencel
    Options
    I did get a breadmaker and occasionally make a rye bread.. But it seemed like the ingredients to make all the breads added up to a lot of expense and the bread didn't freeze well...
  • Soggynode
    Options
    The only breads I've had any luck with are denser breads like banana nut, pumpkin, zucchini etc... Tried to make sandwich bread a bunch of times but I just couldn't get it to taste good. I do OK with biscuits, pancakes, and waffles but never did get the sandwich bread right.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I did get a breadmaker and occasionally make a rye bread.

Umm.......
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You do have to watch the calorie load of your flour substitutes. Rice flour, for example, is extremely high in calories. Tastes delicious, of course. Made plum dumplings, and 2 dumplings made with rice flour had something ridiculous like 3000 calories. I'm a from scratch cooker, so now I check first.
  • Soggynode
    Options
    You do have to watch the calorie load of your flour substitutes. Rice flour, for example, is extremely high in calories. Tastes delicious, of course. Made plum dumplings, and 2 dumplings made with rice flour had something ridiculous like 3000 calories. I'm a from scratch cooker, so now I check first.
    You aren't kidding about the calories in rice flour... Bob's Red Mill organic white rice flour has 600 calories per cup vs 440 calories in their organic whole wheat flour. Once I started paying attention to my calorie intake I looked at some of the GF stuff we make like banana nut bread and got quite a shock.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I did get a breadmaker and occasionally make a rye bread.

Umm.......

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... RYE....for a Celiac, just NO!