Full liquids/other recommendations?

Options
arh0317
arh0317 Posts: 33 Member
Hi everyone!
Well, here I am on my first full liquid day. I have to say it's a little struggle as I'm looking for "substance". Anyone have recommendations on your favorites? Anything with cheese flavor by chance? Best yogurts? I have been doing well with popsicles.

I'm also not sure I'm taking in enough. I'm trying to get as much protein, but seems difficult with only 4 oz in 30 minutes. I've read so many posts and my guide book a million times.

Also. ... concerns other than food... were most of you walking a decent amount after 4 days? I'm so nervous about this clotting possibility. One of my op sites also has a good bit of liquidy substance in the clear bandage. Should I be concerned about that?

Thanks all! :-)

Replies

• ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I moved to full liquids about a week and a half after surgery, but I was allowed to have milk based protein drinks at day 3 to help with nausea. When I went to full liquids, I was able to add yogurt, soups and puddings. I like the Chobani 100 because it doesn't have any artificial sweeteners or flavors. But, it does have little pieces of fruit so I have to be careful not to eat those. I have also had cream of chicken soup (Pacific Organic) that I made with Mootopia milk for extra protein. I used the hand blender. I've also had La Madeline's Reduced Fat Tomato Basil mixed with some Pacific Creamy Tomato to thin it. That's been my favorite. I also blended some homestyle potato soup but didn't really like that. I have not felt any restriction with fluids, though you may since you are only 4 days out. So, I can easily eat a cup of soup. I am trying to get at least 700 calories a day but that is with effort. I am trying for at least 70 grams of protein, but am finding that harder as I move from protein shakes to soups. I think I was at 65 today.

As for cheese flavor, tomorrow I am planning on mixing tortilla soup broth with fiesta cheese soup and putting in through the hand blender, along with some unflavored protein powder. Hopefully that will be good. I also bought a broccoli cheese soup that I will run through the blender.

I was home from the hospital the day after surgery and for the first few days, I just walked around the house, and not very much because I had really bad nausea. Starting at day 5, I started walking at least 30 minutes a day. Did they give you anti-clotting meds in the hospital - mine was a shot in the stomach.

My incisions aren't leaking at all. Do you have one in your belly button? I had previous laproscopic surgery and that one leaked for a while. When is your post-op? I would have the surgeon look at it.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Skim ricotta blended with Kroger carbmaster vanilla milk has a good whack of protein . Pure protein 30 g shakes work well too, available at SAMs club. You can whiz up lentil soup with chicken broth, just pass it thru a sieve. I made a lot of decaf lattes with Kroger carbmaster because it has 11 g per cup, make sure you shake it cause the whey will settle. You can put egg beaters in your protein shakes because they are pasteurized. Some people make Greek yogurt smoothies with egg beaters because you get about 8g in a half cup of smoothie (3/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt 1/4 cup egg beaters). I never ate it but I have seen it.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Skim ricotta blended with Kroger carbmaster vanilla milk has a good whack of protein . Pure protein 30 g shakes work well too, available at SAMs club. You can whiz up lentil soup with chicken broth, just pass it thru a sieve. I made a lot of decaf lattes with Kroger carbmaster because it has 11 g per cup, make sure you shake it cause the whey will settle. You can put egg beaters in your protein shakes because they are pasteurized. Some people make Greek yogurt smoothies with egg beaters because you get about 8g in a half cup of smoothie (3/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt 1/4 cup egg beaters). I never ate it but I have seen it.

Some great ideas, Mango!

I didn't know that about Egg Beaters being usable 'raw'.

On the Carbmaster, it has whey in it that will settle?
  • Mangopickle
    Options

Some great ideas, Mango!

I didn't know that about Egg Beaters being usable 'raw'.

On the Carbmaster, it has whey in it that will settle?
    Yes, carbmaster is protein fortified with additional milk protein which I assume is whey protein. Sometimes, depending on how it was handled it can settle. I keep a half gallon at the office and since I drink less there and it sits unmoved for a day or two the whey can begin to settle. I noticed this when I was emptying a container but it was still rather heavy. The excess whey had simply settled. I fix this by giving it a shake and a whack on the bottom of the box. Problem solved. I do like that it has a very decent shelf life.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Yes, carbmaster is protein fortified with additional milk protein which I assume is whey protein. Sometimes, depending on how it was handled it can settle. I keep a half gallon at the office and since I drink less there and it sits unmoved for a day or two the whey can begin to settle. I noticed this when I was emptying a container but it was still rather heavy. The excess whey had simply settled. I fix this by giving it a shake and a whack on the bottom of the box. Problem solved. I do like that it has a very decent shelf life.

Thanks, Mango!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    So, here is an odd thought.

Don't get too fancy the first couple of weeks out. I would recommend drudging through on protein drinks and shakes, pushing enough zero-calorie fluids (broth, popsicles, crystal light) to make you pee every 30 minutes (at least 100 oz/day), and calling it a day. Bor-ing.

Here is my reasoning: take this opportunity to love food a little less. Make eating your job, not a reward. WLS is a great tool, and if you eat carefully, it can transform you into an "eat to live" person, instead of a "live to eat" person. You want to take advantage of this when you are at your greatest level of restriction - immediately post-op. Then, the hope is that when you are less restricted, it is easier to make good decisions. You know, training your brain to eat healthy for the long term. Plus, you will lose a boat-load of weight - more than if you made delicious concoctions or protein shake ice cream.

There are all kinds of tricks to make the liquids, purees and eventually food on WLS more appetizing - turning protein shakes into ice cream, for example. I think that is not a bad idea, but for me, I worry about sustaining on anything that is too desserty, considering my own dark history with desserts. Desserts are my trigger foods.

For this reason, I did better on the Isopure drinks that taste/look like Gatorade or Snapple, than I did with the chocolate shakes.

Now that I can eat solids, I try to get my protein from solid food sources and not do more than 1 protein shake or drink per day.
  • arh0317
    Options
    I'm trying to do really well and am so far. Just feeling hungry. That's the tough part. I think I need to get some yogurt or something.
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have what feels like hunger but I've been assured it isn't. I would wake up in the middle of the night with almost painful hunger pains. I switched to taking my prilosec at night and that helped with that, as does laying propped up a little bit. I think it is the extra acid in the stomach that causes what I think of as phantom hunger pains. Drinking water seems to help.

I thought carbmaster was high in protein because it is lactose free. I use HEB mootopia which doesn't list Whey as an ingredient and it has 12 grams of protein per cup. I'll have to pay attention to see if I get any of the settling.

I am starting week 2 and am on full liquids and am trying to not have a lot of variety. One, I can't stand the taste of almost anything right now. I especially dislike anything sweet, especially artificially sweet. I like tomato soup and that's about it. I am trying to focus on eating "meals" so I can more easily transition into the pureed food stage. I try to get in 700 calories and at least 70 grams of protein but sometimes I am in the 500-600 range with only 50 grams of protein. Also, I agree with KateMatt313 that now is my time to have my break up with food as emotional support. With nothing tasting very good, it is easier to not look forward to food as a reward.
  • arh0317
    Options
    Sounds good! I'm finding I need variety and am hungry in the day for something with more substance. That's why I'm thinking a good yogurt may help. I'm really looking forward to soft foods next week!!!!! Trying to get through this part. I have found I don't like the blue or orange isopure. And right now the only stores I'm even near are Wal-Mart, Food Lion, and Shop N Save. So I'm kinda limited on what I can get through next week.
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! I'm finding I need variety and am hungry in the day for something with more substance. That's why I'm thinking a good yogurt may help. I'm really looking forward to soft foods next week!!!!! Trying to get through this part. I have found I don't like the blue or orange isopure. And right now the only stores I'm even near are Wal-Mart, Food Lion, and Shop N Save. So I'm kinda limited on what I can get through next week.

I hear you about needing variety! I'm so sick of eating the same things over and over again. Things I once loved are now turning me off. Everything I eat seems to taste funny. I've been eating a lot of yogurt, jello, broth, mashed potatoes and protein shames. I can't wait until I can start soft foods next week!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I lived on protein infused chicken and beef broth during the full liquids. I never did popsciles or pudding even the sugar free stuff, it wasn't part of the plan. An unflavored protein powder mixed into a 1/2 cup of fat free beef or chicken broth will give you some protein and count as water too. I'm more of a savory person, so the sweet, thick shakes were not my favorite thing during this phase. Also, Isopure Zero is a flavored water with about 40 grams of protein in it. I got mine at GNC.

And I will bet what you are experiencing is head hunger, not real hunger. Since you just had surgery, you probably aren't really hungry, that usually goes away for most of us for up to a year. It's the idea that you are used to eating and right are not that's got you thinking you are hungry. Unfortunately that head hunger is very real and doesn't go away. So right now, since you really can't eat during this healing phase, is a good time to figure out how to recognize head hunger and figure out how you want to deal with it.
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    It is a good habit to keep prompting yourself that you are not hungry. You don't make enough grehlin to sense hunger. Your body has a ready supply of fat to feed it round the clock. We are however, emotionally conditioned to eat certain foods at certain times, places,with certain people and events. Thin out a few flavors of low sugar yogurt to liquid. But remember, if that doesn't satisfy you, you are probably looking for the emotional crutch of food, Lord knows I was at 4 days out. :) I found purées even more difficult emotionally to deal with because you fill so fast. 5-8 bites and you are done. So sure food tastes better but you get no emotional boost from them, which of course is how it should be. but still tough when you are a newbie. Good luck
  • arh0317
    Options
    I did think that maybe I wasn't really hungry, but my stomach is growling and I guess I'd say hurting a little. I'm just not much on liquids in general. I do like the Healthwise cream of chicken and tomato soups that I got from my Dr office. I really like popsicles. I need to get to the store for some yogurt and think that will help. I'm not a fan of the Isopure yet. I'm just trying to figure out what may be best for me at this stage with going through all this. Thanks all!
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    After surgery, I just ate what I could tolerate. I got up and moved as often as I could tolerate it but I was utterly exhausted the first week and it only improved a small amount during week 2. I had to drink liquids for 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after surgery, so between protein drinks and Popsicles that's about all I consumed.
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    I did think that maybe I wasn't really hungry, but my stomach is growling and I guess I'd say hurting a little. I'm just not much on liquids in general. I do like the Healthwise cream of chicken and tomato soups that I got from my Dr office. I really like popsicles. I need to get to the store for some yogurt and think that will help. I'm not a fan of the Isopure yet. I'm just trying to figure out what may be best for me at this stage with going through all this. Thanks all!
    When my stomach growls and "eats itself" I am dehydrated or I forgot my reflux pill, or both. Not a pleasant feeling. For me 3 cups of water in a day pre op was a lot. Very difficult post surgery to get in 64oz. Though one time it was really bad, I had gotten completely distracted and missed breakfast and just kept going until 1 pm when I thought the "Alien" was going to burst from my chest. I couldn't believe I completely forgot to eat or drink. Now I watch my urine output and make sure my urine is pale as well as keep liquid on my desk always.