50lbs to lose? Come join me!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join! For now there's no determined ultimate weight loss goal, but I've got to get back to my original lowest. I'd like that. Starting out in 2011-2012 I'd lost about 104 pounds, but soon picked up 20 or so.. which seemed to happen overnight almost (most I'd say is contributed to the weight lifting. I'm still in the same size clothing that I was 20 pounds ago, and have picked up some muscle, but this is ... this is insane). To be safe I'll say that I've got another 30 to go.

As far as my story goes, I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2011, but had had abnormal cycles and strange symptoms for as long as I can remember. The doctor has prescribed me various BC pills. The names of most fail me because it has literally been that many. I've been combating high blood pressure for a while, which makes prescribing 'the pill' difficult. I was placed on progesterone first (as a precaution to the high blood pressure), then tried out the Mirena IUD for about a year after. My body didn't take to either very well really and the Mirena seemed to make things worse! As of two weeks ago, the doctors prescribed the low-estrogen bc pill Lomedia 24. Hopefully this is the cure all for my strange symptoms and it will also help me get my weight under control. No matter how hard I tried, I was unable to budge the scale during the Mirena era. Time to pick up the pieces and get to work!
  • peabean26
    peabean26 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! My RE said I can go up to 1000mg/day if I'm tolerating the metformin, which I am. I'm prone to headaches, and I've had a few more since being on the Met, but I think they are subsiding. I don' t know if the met is doing anything, since I don't have any of the gastro issues that most people complain about.

I've tried clomid previously with no success. My RE doesn't prescribe it anymore because apparently new studies have shown that it can thin the uterine lining and thicken cervical mucus, so they don't think it's that effective. He no recommends femera (letrazole) instead of clomid.

Honestly, I'd just like to lose the weight and see where that gets me. I conceived my daughter naturally when I was 28 and about 20lbs lighter, so I think if I can lose that much I might be able to conceive naturally, but that may be wishful thinking.
  • Justamom410
    Justamom410 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...I'm new to this group. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2006 when we were trying to get pregnant. However, I DO have monthly cycles...our infertility was ultimately caused by low sperm counts. I did an IVF in 2007 and it was BFN. My IVF in 2008 resulted in the birth of my daughter in 2009. I've since done 2 more IVF cycles and both of those have failed. But my daughter is my light.

I'm at 249 right now...having lost 5lbs this week (WAHOO!)...I was 220 10 days after my daughter was born. About 10 years ago I got down to around 175 and was really happy with how I looked. So that is my goal for now. When I get there, if I want to lose more...I'll see.

I'm not on any meds for my PCOS...and I have untreated Hashimoto's as well.
  • kourtneyguinn
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

I have had PCOS for about 10 years now. My periods started to become very irregular, then completely stopped. I've seen many doctors who always told me that I was just over weight. Finally I found my current OBGYN about 2 years ago who started me on Metformin and provera. Thanks to the provera I now have a cycle every month. When I first started the Metformin I lost about 16 pounds in 3 months or so. My husband and I started to try to concieve naturally with no luck. Then tried 3 rounds of Clomid, with again no luck. My OB has referred us to infertility doc but I know theres no way we can afford the treatments that would come next. So with all the stress and heart break, I have put the 16 pounds and thensome back on. I went to a amusement park 2 weeks ago with my step daughter and was too big to ride most of the rides. Did it upset me? OH YEA!! But not enough to do anything about it.

So after having a heart to heart with my husband and realizing how badly I want a child of my own ( I love his daughter) I have got to buckle down and lose this weight... It will not be easy as I LOVE carbs, breads, pasta, potatoes ( I could live off Mac and cheese) But I want a child more than that! Will power is the hardest thing for me but I will take this one day at a time now and not look for tomorrow until it arrives.

My SW: ( as of today) 268.4
    MY GW: 180

Wish me luck!

We can all do this!
  • iloveowls216
    Options
    Hello,

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16. I took BC for awhile but they effected my moods to the point of depression so I stopped. I went 10 years without a period and still don't get them without medication. I never took my PCOS seriously until I got married and wanted to start a family. My family doctor started me on Metformin and prenatal vitamins. When I went to a OB/GYN she gave me 3 months of BC which I hated but it was good after not having a period. She of course mentioned my weight and continued to tell me that if I didn't get this under control, listing a series of crazy scenarios, that my husband would leave me. She's insane to put it simply. Once I switched to a sane doctor, I was given Provera and Clomid. After 3 rounds of clomid not working and the fact that the nice, sane doctor quit and I was moving, I took a break from it all. Now I'm trying to get back on track and lose weight in the process. I have 136lbs to lose but I'm determined. I started walking and I'm up to 3 to 4 miles a day. I take some vitamins/supplements for my PCOS.

Supplements I take:
    B12
    Cinnamon
    Pregnitude
    Prenatal
    Super B Complex
    Vitamin D

If any of you take anything else that seems to help let me know!
  • christinato
    christinato Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies.

I'm 24 and from New Zealand.
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at 15 and put on birthcontrol and spirotone to help with the acne and hairgrowth.
    I came off it when it stopped working and changed to high doses of cyproterone acetate and estrogen and the weight started piling in. I tipped the scales at 108kg and have stopped taking all meds in March so that I am ready to TTC when my partner says its go time. I managed to lose 2.5kg without trying and since March I have lost 7.2kg through limiting food and exercising well, but my 'ideal' weight is still another 28kg away (70kg), but realistically I'm aiming for 80kg (25kg / 55lb loss)

SW - 105.5kg / 232.6lbs
    CW - 98.3kg / 216.7lbs
    Short Term Goal - 95kg / 209.4lbs
    Medium Term Goal - 85kg
    Long Term Goal - 80kg
  • RTL1234
    RTL1234 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Welcome to everyone!! :)

For those that have asked about the Metformin. I take 2000mg/day. 2- 500mg pills in the morning, repeat at night. It really hasn't helped me lose weight. I may the first week because I can't eat much because of the awful side effects but I'm long past that now. Unfortunately for me, Metformin did not help me get pregnant. I did continue to take it through my fertility treatments though, and through my pregnancy. Clomid and Femara did not work for me, I have crappy ovaries! I moved on to the RE, and Gonal F/iui did work for me though. Had twin boys prematurely, lost one of our boys when he was 5 days old.

I just went off my BCP's this month, just a trial and see what happens. I only have one working tube, the other is blocked with scar tissue, so I don't have any big hopes or anything. Just hoping with losing weight I could get pregnant naturally. We will see!

Kara
  • sharimedina
    Options
    Hi guys! I am still here at MFP, but so busy my message boards are suffering a bit. I start student teaching on Monday and I am feeling panic mode! LOL The most important thing is I am keeping up with my friends and logging and exercising. I made a 20 pound loss today and I am 9 pounds from being under 300!!

Kara, I don't want to totally get your hopes up, but I had crappy ovaries and my husband has super low sperm counts. We had an RE for our first, but my second I was just tracking cycles and timing intercourse with no real hope of getting pregnant, and we did! Don't give up hope. They say that after your body knows what to do it may be easier and I for me that was true.
  • FreckleSpeckles
    Options
    I'm not convinced I'll actually post much for various reasons (much more likely to lurk), but I'll put my story out here, at least (sorry if it's too long! I tried to break it into sections).

I think I was diagnosed with PCOS in like, mid/late high school, but it's kind of a blurry experience: went to some lady once with my mom, got checked out and got an ultrasound, no cysts; lady wanted to give me birth control so I'd have a period, but mom wanted a more "natural" solution.. That was the only time we tried to do anything about it. I'm almost 23 now, just graduated college in May, and I still haven't done anything about it. I know I have it, as I have some of the symptoms, but it kinda freaks me out to take the necessary steps to do something about it, I guess. :frown:

I had started recording any signs of period activity in late 2010, during my first year of college. As far as I can recall, it was pretty much completely absent before that throughout high school. I might have had it like 5 times in that time (can't remember for sure, only that I was happy I didn't tend to have it--one less thing to worry about). I had 5 normal-ish periods Dec('10)-April('11), then it became largely absent again with only an occasional day of seeing a touch of blood like /once/ per occurrence (10 recorded days of this from April '11 to Oct '12). In late Oct.-early Nov. '12 I had a normal period, but since then, NOTHING.

:indifferent: I honestly don't want to start having a period regularly.. I can't help but see it as annoying and pointless, as I'm never going to be in a relationship or have kids (not my scene as an aromantic asexual person--not interested), so on that topic I seem to differ from most/all of you. Ideally I'd just treat the symptoms like hair growth/loss, acne, and weight issues.. But I guess it can't be that simple, huh? :ohwell:

I was 184 lbs when I started MFP in June '13 and blindly followed the recommended 1200 cal (as I'd never dieted/tracked cals before) until August of this year, when I discovered that BMR and TDEE were things. Supposedly my BMR is around 1470 cal (at my current weight of about 140).. So although I'd managed to lose around 44 lbs since I started, I'm hit with the distinct feeling I did it horribly wrong and haven't been getting what my body needs (probably at the expense of the little muscle mass I do have). Since the beginning of August, I've been eating at my BMR but /maintaining/ at around 140 lbs, fluctuating up/down 2 lbs.. Which honestly vexes me, as everything I've read says to eat at LEAST your BMR and you'll lose weight because you're at a deficit from your TDEE (with mine supposedly being around 1725).. So why am I maintaining on my base calorie needs when I should be losing? Why was I able to lose weight eating at 1200 cal for about a year then started to plateau? I'm not sure if any of it is related to PCOS or if it's simply that the BMR and TDEE calculations are off (though I've tried a bunch of different formulas and they all come out pretty similar)..

The past couple days I've started to make an effort to do cardio (via Just Dance 3) for an hour or so, but I don't feel that's ultimately sustainable since waving a wiimote around for days in a row ends up giving me a really sore right shoulder.. But that's the only thing that motivates me to do anything physical, since it's a game--otherwise I'll just sit in front of the computer all day, if I'm honest. :ohwell: It's a good workout, since I try to copy all the dance moves and not just the arm movements, and I'm very sweaty by the end of it. I eat back my exercise calories so I still net my BMR amount. I guess I'll keep this up for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference with my current plateau at all.

I guess I should mention I'm also a notoriously picky eater. Smells, tastes, textures, etc really put me off from a lot of foods. I tend to eat stuff like cheese pizza, cereal/granola, pasta, cookies, burgers (with just cheese+ketchup), boneless chicken, pretzels, apples... I've slowly been trying more foods though, so I've come to like almonds&walnuts, scrambled eggs, raw baby spinach, whole grain/wheat breads, bananas, fried fish... But I feel like most of what I've started to include in my diet still aren't "good", so I'm sort of at a loss? :frown: Most food suggestions people make seem too fancy/complex flavor-wise, or have a key component of something I don't like (peanut butter and hummus come to mind).. For example, my version of a salad is simply spinach/lettuce, chicken, and a bit of cheese--no dressing or anything fancy. I often wonder when I see recipes/dishes with a good bit of ingredients if they all serve a purpose beyond taste? Because if not, I'd prefer to do without most of it. :ohwell:

I just want to lose 10 more lbs so I'll be at 130, but it's proving difficult/impossible. I feel like I need to get like, full blood work done, see a nutritionist/dietician, somehow find healthy foods I'd like, etc etc to even figure out what to do, and it's overwhelming.
  • I want to join! I have about 100 pounds to lose.

I was diagnosed 5 years ago at 18, when I suddenly (and I mean suddenly) gained 50 pounds in 3 months with absolutely NO lifestyle changes. Started packing on more because I was sad. Just before I reached 230 pounds, I knew that wasn't what I wanted for myself.

It's been 2 weeks and I've lost just over 8 pounds. I take vitex and a multivitamin. I don't even remember how long it's been since my last period, maybe 8 months? I just want to be regular, in that way, and healthy.