first 20 mile run...

valentine4
valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
and I don't feel great. Far from it. I started off at 7 this morning finished at nearly 11 ended up ringing my husband and having him drop me into work because I couldn't face cycling in.

In work now feeling bit sick, lol maybe doing it before an 8 hr shift was not the best idea.

Any tips lads, please say this gets easier! The jury is still out whether or not I will do the marathon at the end of October I can't even think about it right now I feel so crappy.

Sorry for the moan.

valentine

Replies

• davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    It definitely gets easier. You are bold for doing your first 20-miler on a work day! If you have a typical marathon training plan you'll back off for a week or two, then the next time you try a 20-miler you will see that it is much easier!
  • valentine4
    Ah sure Dave I thought I was great, the two youngest children were on a sleepover the two older ones had plans first thing so off I trotted...and then stumbled home a few hours later.

Am sitting at my desk surround by sweet wrappers, I had a few, ok alot of jellies throughout the afternoon.

Thanks for the words of encouragement I will try it again in a couple of weeks and hopefully not be so horrified by it :)
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    This is why I waited til my kids were teenagers before I really got serious about running, lol! Great job for finishing your first 20er; you'll be in great shape for that marathon!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Great job! For me 20 milers never get easier... I just learn to get harder.... Running that distance or longer is never "fun" in any accepted sense of the word, but I love doing them...
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    I'm just going to put this out there. More than likely i won't be running any 20s in my marathon training. I'll more likely cap my longest long runs at 3 hours and 15 mins which would be about 16-18 miles. I'm considering this because I don't think the benefit outweighs the risk and the strain it would put on me for recovery time and physical time that I'd be required to be away from my familial responsibilities. Do I think i can complete a marathon without running any 20s? Yes I do. My training is going so well. I'm 12 weeks out and I'm consistently hitting over 50 miles a week and I haven't run over 14 miles yet. I'll peak at 60 even if i don't pass 18 miles for a long run. Capping my runs at 3:15 will lessen my recovery time so i can keep up with my weekday miles. So you know you can run 20, what about continuing with training but not running 4 hours again? You know, until race day. Just a thought.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    First off congrats on your first 20. Good news though, like Dave said it will get to the point where it feels better......not sure I'd ever say it gets easy as you'll start to push yourself even more. The biggest thing I'd suggest is the long run be reserved for you day off, I can't even imagine going into work after running 20. Let us know how the next one goes.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    My $.02 - the more 20 milers the better. I love 20 mile training runs and they do got easier, but only when you have sufficient mileage to support them. I only wish the marathon would end at 20.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Very nice! Now go run a 10k really quick.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Very nice! Now go run a 10k really quick.

I literally LOL'd at this.
  • valentine4
    so did I!

I could no more walk 10 k right now than run one :)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    They do get easier. . . kudos to you for doing your first before a shift.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    yes they do get easier :flowerforyou: Good job for doing it.....and it makes your marathon easier as well. I had a marathon this spring where my longest run up to it was only 13 miles. I definitely felt the difference not having the work up!
  • MSRunner23
    MSRunner23 Posts: 107
    First 20 miler is a huge accomplishment. Still blows my mind when I look down at my Garmin and see 20.00. However, as you get mentally stronger, 20m will become easier. Breaking it down into 4 5 mile runs helps avoid being overwhelmed.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Update us on how your next one goes!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    I like the 20 mile runs too just not on the weekdays. For runs like that or longer I prefer a nap not work.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    I am almost afraid to say this, but I don't bat an eye at a 20 miler anymore. Isn't that awful!?! I had one this Wednesday and I found out about it Tuesday night (see how much attention I am paying to my training schedule?). I just shrugged and got up on Wednesday and ran it. I think I might need to have my head examined.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    First, congrats on your first 20-miler! That's an awesome accomplishment! They do get easier over time :).

If you are feeling sick post-run, you may want to take a close look at what you used for mid-run fueling. I know that I've found SEVERAL things that do not agree with my stomach over the course of 20+ miles.

Personally, I LOVE long runs. The more long runs, the better :). But I'm just a masochist (or a dumbarse) like that.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Great job on the 20 miles!
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    First off congrats on your first 20. Good news though, like Dave said it will get to the point where it feels better......not sure I'd ever say it gets easy as you'll start to push yourself even more. The biggest thing I'd suggest is the long run be reserved for you day off, I can't even imagine going into work after running 20. Let us know how the next one goes.
    I agree with Don.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Mentally they get easier, physically they get faster (most of the time), what I would say is that the actual marathon itself at the end of October will actually be the easy part, it's the 18-20weeks training that you have to put in before hand that's the difficult part.
    I didn't do my first 20mile run on a work day, I done it and both the dog and me went back to bed, surfaced for dinner and then back to bed again!!!

You've not put all this marathon training in, to then not do it, end of October you'll smash it (would also like to add that I think my 20mile run took me about 5.5hrs, I was running 8 mile loops round the woods and had been running pretty much the same place 4 times a week for 16 weeks and was really fed up with it, but it was only 2min from my house, so I could get home easy enough after it, the miles just kept getting slower and slower, but it was all mental not physical)!