New-ish Runner

Options
Hi all, I have joined this group because over the last 5 weeks I have been training to run a half marathon. My goal is eventually a full marathon and then who knows...

I am still new to running and would love to make some friends with certified runners. I do partake in other fitness activities also. My Furthest run was Saturday just gone at 10.00 miles in 1 hour 20 minutes. IM still really over weight but running is helping me lose it.

So please add me to your friends and I will add all i can, I track my runs with RUNKEEPER so you can see on here or there.

Thanks!

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of running! Congrats on your progress so far. Like most of us in this group, I'm sure you will find it addicting. Stick around this group and you will learn a lot...there are lots of experienced and knowledgeable people here!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Wolverhampton! Scene of my first half mara. A lovely race along the canal, starting at the train station and ending at Brindley Place in Birmingham.

Which race are you signed up for?
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    WolverhamptonFitness Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replys!

My race starts and ends at West Park in Wolverhampton, Its the Carvers Half Marathon I am going to be doing.

Running is addicting aslong as you dont over do it. Im aiming for sub 2hours, I did 10 mile in 1 hour 20 so I am sure I will make 13.2 in less then 2.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Easily. You'll crush 2 hours when you are in a race situation. 1hr 20m for 10mile is very quick in my book.
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    Yes, I heard that being in a "race" situation is totally different to just running, the adrenaline helps carry you and having the attitude of competeing makes you run quicker I guess.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Slow down your training runs though! There are lots of runners on here who run half-marathons way faster than 8 mins/mile but will do their long training runs at 9:00-9:30. You're not racing your training runs, you're racing the half.
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    yes i understand that, but I want to be as quick as I can on my actual timed run. make sense?
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have joined this group because over the last 5 weeks I have been training to run a half marathon. My goal is eventually a full marathon and then who knows...

I am still new to running and would love to make some friends with certified runners . I do partake in other fitness activities also. My Furthest run was Saturday just gone at 10.00 miles in 1 hour 20 minutes. IM still really over weight but running is helping me lose it.

So please add me to your friends and I will add all i can, I track my runs with RUNKEEPER so you can see on here or there.

Thanks!

Curious, what's a Certified runner?
  • litsy3
    Options
    yes i understand that, but I want to be as quick as I can on my actual timed run. make sense?

Yes, it does make sense and that is why you shouldn't leave your best performances out on the road in training.
  • litsy3
    Options

I've got a competition licence, maybe it's that?
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Maybe he meant to say certifiable. Heh!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Slow down your training runs though! There are lots of runners on here who run half-marathons way faster than 8 mins/mile but will do their long training runs at 9:00-9:30. You're not racing your training runs, you're racing the half.

I second this!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm not certified, but this Sunday I'll show you how fast someone can go who trains at a pace way slower than you.
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    Sorry folks, by certified I mainly mean "with experience" haha.

Well I will take everyone advice and slow down my training, its a bit difficult for me because I also play football 3 times a week.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Yes, it does make sense and that is why you shouldn't leave your best performances out on the road in training.

This!

It doesn't have to be a race everyday. :smile: Save your legs for the real race.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

*raises hand*

I'm one of them. Yeah, slow down to get faster. You need to build aerobic base by time on your feet, running easy effort miles.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Have you raced a 5k?

80 min for 10 miles on a training run is pretty quick. If I run 10 miles on an easy training run would be 79-85 min.. I run 6:10 pace for a 5k.

I'd say, race a 5k to see where your fitness level is. Once you get the results, plug them into a running calculator.. My favorite is jack daniels run smart.. But I also use the charts in the Hanson Method book- they tend to let me a bit fast ;-)

Anyways, yes if you truly ran 80 min on a 10 mile training run, you should fairly easily be 1:40 for a half.
  • MSRunner23
    MSRunner23 Posts: 107
    Options
    Have you raced a 5k?

80 min for 10 miles on a training run is pretty quick. If I run 10 miles on an easy training run would be 79-85 min.. I run 6:10 pace for a 5k.

I'd say, race a 5k to see where your fitness level is. Once you get the results, plug them into a running calculator.. My favorite is jack daniels run smart.. But I also use the charts in the Hanson Method book- they tend to let me a bit fast ;-)

Anyways, yes if you truly ran 80 min on a 10 mile training run, you should fairly easily be 1:40 for a half.

I must be doing all of my training runs too fast. Probably am. Oh well!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I have been meaning to take my certification test in running but I keep blowing it off.

OP: get to know the different terms for creating various running workouts for your plan. Google works wonders. "Tempo Run" "Long Slow Distance Run" "Recovery Run" "Fartlek" "VO2 Max" "aerobic vs anaerobic" "lactic threshold" "aerobic threshold" "glycogen storage" "ATP"

That should get you started.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Welcome! 10 miles in 80 mins is speedy business! You'll do great on the half. I look forward to hearing about it.

I suck at advice, so I generally just pat most folks on the back for their accomplishments and just listen to Carson and Dave :)