Nausea

Options
claresta23
claresta23 Posts: 64 Member
I am 6 weeks post op and I have been experiencing a lot of nausea. I am not sure why or what's going on. The Dr. prescribed me some nausea pills and it is helping a little. I feel it all the time, before I eat, after I eat, while eating. It has gotten worst over the last two days. Has anyone else experience this?

Replies

• Latse
    Latse Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    At 6 weeks there is still a lot of healing and swelling going on in your new sleeve. How far have your progressed in your diet (liquied, pureed, soft, reg.)? If you recently moved to a new stage in the diet that might be what is causing the nausea, maybe go back to the previous stage for a couple of days. Also remember to only try one or two new foods a day, just like when feeding a new baby. You don't want to throw too much new stuff at your new sleeve. If it gets really bad talk with your MD again.
    Good Luck and I hope you feel better!
  • wendyp1000
    Options
    Some foods cause a great deal of gas. I know that when I read that some people can eat refried beans at the pureed stage, I whinged because I could NEVER deal with beans and gas at that stage (even now at 6-7 weeks). Some people are fine on cabbage soup too. Not me, thank you... (or broccoli - even in a blender).

See if something you are eating is causing you gas.

In addition, I have read here in the posts that the nausea might mean you need to sip on water.
    At about the 3-4 week mark I was getting horrible indigestion, and decided to see if I could manage Tums or prilosec (or the generic from Publix - omeprazole). It made a HUGE difference for me. I don't go one day without my omeprazole.

I hope you find the cause - perhaps you could keep a little diary to track when it is at the worst and solve the problem.

Good luck, I know it can be intimidating..
    Wendy
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I get nause a lot also. Sometimes I think it's because I eat too much. Or I'm eating 'hard' food, like steak. Just this morning I was thinking I should just stick to soft food, like a little old lady - cottage cheese, yogurt, protein shakes, poached eggs, sometimes fish. I'm back from a vacation and while I was there, I accepted that my stomach is small. It is misshapen. It no longer works like everybody else's stomach. It was a weird realization, considering I'm 3 months out from my surgery, but sometimes reality takes a while to set in.

RIght now, you're still healing, but you may have a more sensitive sleeve. All you can do is coddle it. Also, your vitamins might be causing the nausea. I'm switching over from the Bariatric Advantage Chewables because no matter which I try, they nauseate me. I'm doing fine with pills, so I'm going that route now and have ordered a BA capsule.

The good side of all this is the weight is coming off and it's going to be hard for you to gain weight with your sleeve and you'll likely lose if you just stick to the plan. Hope you feel better, soon.
  • claresta23
    Options
    Thanks
  • claresta23
    Options
    Now I think I have acid coming up into the back of my throat. It is very raw.
  • mwhitse11
    Options
    Did your surgeon give you prilosec or anything to take? Mine is given me prilosec to take for the first 3 months until I get past the new phase of my tummy. :) Hope it helps me with the nausea becasue there's not a worse feeling. Hope you feel better soon.
  • arh0317
    arh0317 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 weeks out and experiencing the same! It's really making me feel like not eating anything. So today I just went with some chicken broth and a little cheese. I'm not sure what to do either.