Totally confused!

Options
I bought a fit bit and I have synched it with my fitness pal. They have given me 1290 calories a day, which seems low. But it says I have to start and stop my exercise at the gym, so when I'm exercising I need to tell it?? I thought the fitbit automatically registered every step I took??
And does myfitpal add back on calories if I"m exercising or moving a lot? Do I need to tell it to do that...I'm so confused! Help!

Replies

• rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure on your question about the exercise registering. But fitbit and and mfp will sync throughout the day. And based on how many calories fitbit projects you will burn throughout the day, mfp will adjust its goal calorie amount for you by either adding or subtracting calories (you have to enable the negative adjustment). It will do this in the exercise category in mfp, when you open your diary there should be a fitbit adjustment at the bottom.
  • caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Fitbit will measure all your steps throughout the day, however if you want more visibility for certain activities, for example if you wanted to see how many steps you took/how far you went when you go for a run/use the treadmill etc. you can log it as an activity in fitbit, it doesn't change the total step counts or calorie counts but it means you have more data to look back on. You can also log activities where it shouldn't be logging any steps at all... for example driving on a bumpy road. Or you can use it for activities that the fitbit generally doesn't track well like riding a bike. I would advise setting you MFP profile to sedentary, that way on days you don't move much your calorie allowance reflects that as the fitbit won't give you more calories on those days, but on days when you're more active the fitbit will give you a calorie adjustment to reflect you activity level.