Exercising with a binder?

Options
Hey there, I am a transmasculine guy, FAAB and I wear a binder as I am currently pre-op (hopefully sorted by next April).

I tried to start the Couch to 5k routine on Saturday and almost collapsed a few times because I was clearly not suitably dressed. Right now I don't have the money for a sports bra and honestly I am not sure I'd be comfortable with one. I really want to get into more exercising including joining the gym and cycling when I go back to university next month.

So I was wondering if anyone had any tips? I am about a C cup if that helps (never knew exactly).

Thanks to anyone who is able to help in advance :)

Replies

• siratlas
    siratlas Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hey! I feel your pain haha. I saved my old stretched out binders for exercise. I'm not sure if you have any that are a bit worn but if not. Maybe you can find someone online who's giving away a used one?

The only other advice I have from experience is try to limit the amount of time exercising. A 20 minute walk for me was where I started, now I can do 45 minutes at a time without feeling like dying. Take breaks to let your body breathe

I can't do bras either...in fact, even before coming out as trans I didn't wear one ....oh dysphoria.

Best of luck to you.
  • HariboHeart1994
    HariboHeart1994 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey thank you for your reply! Yeah that's my issue, if I did wear bras it was only ones brought for me by my mum! I will have a look around online. The only ones I've got that are old are virtually torn to **** and don't actually bind anymore. I have a muscle tee style underworks one which isn't worn out but is slightly looser so I will try it - not sure if it will be much better than my 997 though. Unfortunately tri-tops don't work on me as I messed my ribs up binding with bandages before getting a binder!
  • siratlas
    Options
    Slightly looser might give you more range of mobility and better breathing during your workouts. Walmart also sells compression type athletic shirts for 15-18 dollars. They aren't great for binding on their own but they do hold things in place if worn over top of a binder that no longer does it's duty.

May I ask if you're working out at home or a gym?

I have a 1 week old 997 ....those things are great for compression but god it hurts to move! I don't do tri tops either, I'm a big guy and the cut of it just doesn't feel comfortable.
  • HariboHeart1994
    Options
    True, one of them just doesn't bind at ALL but the other might be workable. It's just torn up is my issue. Hadn't thought about compression tops over old binders, might pull out some of my old ones and see how they work.

I am doing it at the park mostly, but when I go back to uni it'll be a mix of all. If I am at home I just don't bind, for bits like weights I do that, but my local park has fitness equipment so I have started to go for a run and change it up with a mix of cross-trainer stuff and various other bits. (I don't know the name of half of it.. I just do it) When I am back at uni I am joining the gym though so it'll be the changing room fun time!
  • siratlas
    Options
    great job mixing it up! i do weights at home and go for walks etc out where i can. I haven't gotten up the courage to join a gym yet....i'll see about starting that next month at the Y. I'd love to join for the stationary bike and heavy lifting
  • HariboHeart1994
    Options
    Yeah, it's good if you are feeling tired from bits too. I need to go back down there but at the moment work is taking it all out of me - 6-7 hours (on average) on my feet carrying around a ticket machine and printer and it's exhausting. Plus talking to tourists all day takes a lot out of you xD I really want to get to the gym, I love going to them, I used to find it awesome when going at school (we had one as part of the school we got to go to sometimes as part of Physical Education) and in my old job I had to stay overnight somewhere once and I got to use the gym there, I just love the whole thing. Plus the one I am joining at uni is literally a five minute walk from my halls and actually on campus so perfect xD
  • DreithanGra
    DreithanGra Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I understand your pain man, I too have this exact issue (seeing I'm a FTM trying to be more masculine is a pain in the *kitten*.

That being said- you can also wear tight breathable under-armor products instead of a bra, they may show your nipple a little, but if you cut the sleeves off of one, and use it as a go-to binder for exorcising, it helps a lot. If you still feel odd, and someone asks you what's with your chest-- tell them you're working on your pecks and for them to buzz off. c: