Sinful discussion

Options
exwilson
exwilson Posts: 154 Member
I recently got into an argument with someone about the validity of the phrase "Love the sinner, hate the sin". I truly despise that phrase for several reasons. I'll add that the person with whom I was conversing is a devout Christian Fundamentalist. I am a devout atheist and diametrically opposed to pretty much every one of her beliefs.

Her argument was this. We are all sinners and so it is not for us to judge another for their sins. Therefore, the statement "Love the sinner, hate the sin" is a valid way of reconciling one's beliefs about homosexuality with accepting a loved one who is gay.

My argument was this. Regardless of whether we are all sinners, using the phrase "Love the sinner, hate the sin" with regards to homosexuals and homosexuality suggests that homosexuality is innately sinful. For the sake of argument, supposing there is a God, I will concede that I could be a sinner. However, I will never concede that my love or expression of my love is sinful. I'll go to hell for plenty of other reasons. Therefore, the phrase "Love the sinner, hate the sin" has no validity.

I'm curious what your thoughts on this often used phrase are.

Replies

• anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My feeling, generally, is that people who say "love the sinner, hate the sin" usually don't really mean that: they don't like either the sinner or the sin.

However, with response to your particular argument, while I agree that homosexuality isn't sinful, "love the sinner, hate the sin" could still be valid with respect to other sins. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that one of my daughters stole a car. I would still love my daughter, but I would hate what she'd done. So it's a perfectly valid phrase in general, it just doesn't work for being gay since that's not a sin.
  • exwilson
    exwilson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Well that's exactly my point. The argument was around the validity of the phrase with regards to homosexuality.

However, in a broader sense, I don't like the phrase because it continues allow people to judge what they deem to be sins. Homosexuality, immigration, vaccinations, *kitten*, whatever it is they believe in, people justify their own judgement while hiding behind the thinly veiled mask of this phrase, pretending they are not in fact judging others.

In your argument, I agree the phrase is valid. However, the phrase is not limited to things that are inherently wrong, like theft, murder and the like.
  • mudtea
    mudtea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well let me tell you, I speak for THE MOST POWERFUL FICTITIOUS CHARACTER IN ALL THE MULTIVERSE, and I say, er...the fictitious character says that your debate partner is fulla Scheiße.

Seriously, when you strip away the unprovable, sin is merely a repackaged appeal to authority (one of the logical fallacies), and you're left with little to argue about.

It goes something like this: "It's not me who hates you, it's god that hates you. Yes, god, the most powerful entity ever imaginable--the entity that created everything there is in just seven days, yet can't seem to speak for himself/herself/itself/themselves.... This most powerful entity now relies on some average schmuck to do his/her speaking, and prior to that, relied upon dozens of "scribes" to take unbiased dictation...because, yaknow, 'all-powerful' doesn't necessarily include having the strength to pick up a pencil."

In the end, what we really end up arguing about with such things is nonsense along the lines of how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin or whether we should follow the rules of Dungeons & Dragons or Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. To be sure, there's a lot of good stuff in the bible, but along with that comes piles of pretty bad things masquerading as good things that would get anybody locked away for life if they followed "the word of god." If you're gonna eat that apple, it's a good idea to know where the razor blades are hidden.

One of my favorite passages from the bible:
    "And if you find a city where the people worship a different god, go to that city and kill every one of them, even the animals."
    Deuteronomy 13:15

Makes the ISIS / ISIL guys look pretty sane by comparison.
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm not particularly religious, but I acknowledge the validity of belief and consider myself agnostic. This piece is religious, but it's a good story:
    http://www.peace-catalyst.net/blog/post/carl-medearis:--the-myth-of-love-the-sinner--hate-the-sin-

The problem is that nobody ever said to hate others' sins. They said not to... unfortunately, lots and lots of stupid people read the bible (which does NOT say they're *all* stupid).

There is no logical difference in hating others' sin and hating others because of their sin. Either way you judge them for their identity and their actions. Changing the words you say just makes it sound nicer, all this hating of others. I say accept them, don't hate them, and that goes for all people. Social change and justice can come about without hate and those who do give in to hate and oppose that change are eventually exposed.
  • harrynich
    harrynich Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am a gay Christian. What does that mean? It means I have a religious, ritualistic (rites and worship), and spiritual (prayer and devotions and meditation) practice. What is the value of such practice? Only this: does my Christian practice help me to treat others as I would have them treat me and not to treat others as I would have them not treat me? God does not care if I hear him speak to me. He cares if I am kind and compassionate.

In m parish is a young man who is frequently in and out of jail. We get exasperated at the stupid and sometimes scary things he does. We don't "hate" the sin. We don't even know what that would mean. We feel sad when Ted (not his real name) does things that are what a Buddhist teacher I once knew wold call "unskillful."

As a Christian I have to practice deepening my love for others. When Jesus says that at the end times he's going to ask who fed the hungry, clothed the naked, and gave drink to the thirsty, he does not add, "Who believes in God?" The great Christian mystics often wrote about the impossibility of even saying God exists since God's being is beyond categories of any kind, including existence/non-existence.

You simply cannot hate the sin without hating the sinner. To do so means you see the sin as primary, and no Christian should ever do this. You start by seeing Christ in the people you meet, and that makes it impossible for you to see them as sinners but only, rather, as creatures of light who suffer and need your prayers and love.

Yes, in real time I suck at it. But I get a little better from time to time, and even tiny bits of improvement make it worthwhile for me.

Yes, I'm tempted to say to some of these evangelists, "I don't hate you. I hate the fat that's hanging off your grotesque body." But, of course, I'd have to look in the mirror, wouldn't I?
  • wuggums47
    wuggums47 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Deuteronomy 22:12 states that to enter the kingdom of God one must sew 3 tassels in to the four corners of your garments. Until "religious" bigots start campaigning to make it illegal to not have any tassels in your clothes, their arguments are without merit. Why do they get to eat shellfish and wear mixed textiles but I'm not allowed to be LGBTQ+? Also Harry Nich you sound like the good kind of Christian, one who realizes that Christianity is all about love and forgiveness. If only every Christian was as enlightened as you.
  • harrynich
    Options
    I think any real Christian who reads all of the Bible will find him or herself sickened by the parts that endorse genocide, when God commands armies to kill all the men, women, children, and animals and then punishes them for not doing so. The use of these texts for many of us is to understand in a horrifying and deep way that our *interpretation* of what God is telling us to do doesn't always sync with a belief in what God actually is, at least as the teacher Jesus tried to make clear.

Christian faith is a practice. One who practices accepts at the start his or her own imperfections and tries to become a better person. That's pretty much an impossible thing to do if you imagine you're better than the people you interact with, unless you're dealing with known pedophiles, child abusers, and the like. But even then you have to suspend some judgment, for you can never know what produced the behavior. I, personally, believe in mercy; but I also believe there is no mercy without justice. I suffered terrible abuse as a child. Can I forgive the man who did it? Not if I don't take justice seriously. He could be out there doing it to other kids. That's why it has to be a *practice.* We have to keep open the possibility, always, that we may be right or wrong. This is a clear example where the law should prevail in some way. But most of our dealings have to do with petty issues we have with people. We need to practice getting over ourselves, and I find meditation and prayer help *me* with that.

I can't simply declare that I am *now* saved and free of error and understand everything. I have to be willing to be wrong so that I can stop making other people wrong.

Hate the sin, not the sinner, is simply a hateful way of being in the world. Better to adopt an attitude of compassion for yourself and all people, and compassion demands listening and entering into their suffering, and once you do that, there aren't a lot of sins left in the equation, and you start to see the nonsense of hating the things that you now see are clearly not evil. Like all of us here.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I think it's just a way for people to ignore the fact that sexual orientation has a dimension of identity as well as behavior. By saying love the sinner and hate the sin, they're maintaining this false claim that sexuality is solely about our behavior, regardless of one's orientation.

I'm curious why someone would think that their idea of what's sinful should mean anything to anyone else in a larger context. But that's the way Fundamentalists are sometimes; they're the center of the universe, and all. I believe Anne Lamott said, “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”

As it happens, SCOTUS has ruled that legally homosexuality is not just about behavior and does carry an element of identity with it.
  • harrynich
    Options
    As the French say, Bingo!